Congrats to Seth Littrell on a good win!

Jonnyeagle

53 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

THANK YOU!  I keep noticing that most  all-star worthy QB's have all-star receiving corps that make them look great. I remember watching a highlight clip of "Johnny Football" in one of his big games and coming away saying "damn! who were those WR's out there making NFL-like catches?"

"The drive" against UTSA a few years ago was as much the Michael Lawrence-Rico Bussy show, as it was the Mason Fine show.

Great point. You would think by example every QB from Alabama or Ohio State would end up a sure thing in the NFL based on their numbers, but then you remember that they have 4/5 star receivers, backed up by players who where probably higher rated, making one incredible catch and run after another.

• Upvote 3

On 10/30/2021 at 9:35 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree. Having your QB go 11/22 is not going to lead to many W's. We caught lightning in a bottle with Mason and to be honest we were lucky. No-one thought he would be as good as he was. Other than him, Seth has not landed a high quality QB in this his 6th year.

Is it that he is not landing decent QBs or is it he isn't able to develop them into FBS level QBs? Since GH left, our QB development has really been lacking. They play like they are still in high school.

Moobs mentioned having a QB as good as Rice's backup. Would Rice's backup be decent here with our lack of QB development or would he look just as bad as what we have?

Serious questions. Anyone with more experience than me about QBs please tell me is it bad players or just a lack of development by the coaching staff?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Venson said:

Is it that he is not landing decent QBs or is it he isn't able to develop them into FBS level QBs? Since GH left, our QB development has really been lacking. They play like they are still in high school.

Moobs mentioned having a QB as good as Rice's backup. Would Rice's backup be decent here with our lack of QB development or would he look just as bad as what we have?

Serious questions. Anyone with more experience than me about QBs please tell me is it bad players or just a lack of development by the coaching staff?

It has to be on the QB coach. You go from Graham Harrell, one of the greatest college QBs of all time, to Bodie Reeder, a one year flop, to Tate Wallis who didn't even coach in the season, to Blake Joseph, a High school coach.

Mason was incredibly special, but Harrell was a HUGE boost to our offense, especially for the QB. That's why so many people are even considering him being the HC here. You don't have a team if you don't have a QB. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Venson said:

Consider the past 3 seasons' QB coaches:
1. Bodie Reeder
2. Nobody
3. Blake Joseph

What kind of QB development were we expecting during this time?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Venson said:

Since he does eventually want to go into coaching I would hire Mason this offseason to come in and work with our quarterbacks during the offseason

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

FIFY

Rice had just come off a win AT UAB.    The same UAB that beat us 40-6 a few weeks ago.

Their only bad loss this year has been... against us!

Make no mistake, that was a good win that really showed Littrell's X's-O's understanding in using whatever he had at his disposal to move the ball offensively.    Since his passing game blows, he was able to manufacture an effective run game.   And the defense did exactly what they needed to do in order to put the team in a position to win.

It doesn't change the fact that he's the one who put himself in the position of having a passing attack that blows.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, Rudy said:

Congrats for beating a shitty team.  LOL. Yay us. 

I'll give our team credit for tough, gritty play and fighting hard ... bad discipline, but a lot of fight in the team.

But man, we're just not very good right now.  We started playing Dickey's Buick-ball against Liberty and kept it up with Rice, just to keep the scores closer and give us a chance. 

Yeah, this tactic can work to a point (as we saw when Dickey was here) but it's kind of painful to watch  🙂

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:54 AM, casual fan said:

UNT caught lightning in a bottled because Mason Fine had receivers.  Jaylen Guyton,  now with the Chargers, Jaylen Darden, now with Tampa Bay, Rico Bussey, now with the Steelers, and a very productive Michael Lawrence who is #9 all time at UNT with 143 receptions.

That sometimes gets overlooked in the Mason Fine legacy. His WR weapons were arguably the best we’ve ever had. At least in numbers. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That sometimes gets overlooked in the Mason Fine legacy. His WR weapons were arguably the best we’ve ever had. At least in numbers. 

The years have shown the following to be true - 

• A great QB can make average receivers look good
  • Great receivers can make a average QB look good 
  • An average (at best) QB and a depleted receiving corps will make fans go crazy and cause a coach his job