North Texas - Rice Official Game Thread

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

No, but stupid smack talk when week after week after week they get stupid penalties for this kind of play is ridiculous. I have arrived at the point where I don’t expect you you understand this. 

For the third time, the kids need to understand what will get called as unsportsmanlike. That said, the rules being setup so that a kid can’t do anything that would even be perceived as “taunting” your opponent is stupid.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Gotta have a QB capable of throwing the ball in the general area of a receiver in order to take a shot. 

I guess you have a point there. I was just hoping he would heave it down field and maybe we would get lucky. If it's incomplete or intercepted, we go to overtime anyway.

• Upvote 1

This was the worst coaching I have seen at North Texas while beating a FBS team with more than one win on the season.  They took their injured  QB and captain out on a cart and then came back to take us into OT?  I just feel pathetic for cheering for them.  A glutton for punishment like an alcoholic hobo drinking the cheapest rot gut Tequilas I can scrap pennies together to get.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Wow, that was hard to watch. Happy we got the win, but it sure wasn't pretty. Still too many dumb penalties. Our coaching still hasn't corrected the issue. If we played a better team on the road today, it would have probably been a loss. But it give me some hope against Southern Miss and FIU on the road. We might end up with a 4 win season. But, 4 wins is not good enough to keep Littrell for a 7th season. He needs to be fire at the end of this season.

On a related note... What is the UNT record for most penalties and penalty yards in a season? And, have we broken it yet?

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Wow, that was hard to watch. Happy we got the win, but it sure wasn't pretty. Still too many dumb penalties. Our coaching still isn't correcting the issue. If we played a better team on the road today, it would have probably been a loss. But it give me some hope against Southern Miss and FIU on the road. We might end up with a 4 win season. But, 4 wins is not good enough to keep Littrell for a 7th season. He needs to be fire at the end of this season.

I fear with the injuries excuse, the large buyout, and CUSA exit fee he will be back with 4 wins.  I hope I am wrong

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, Mike Jackson said:

I fear with the injuries excuse, the large buyout, and CUSA exit fee he will be back with 4 wins.  I hope I am wrong

Every team deals with injuries. Even in a worst case situation, the University of North Texas has an annual operating budget of nearly $1billion. The university can cough up $3 million. Smat hired Littrell. He needs to make sure we can get rid of him. C-USA isn't a big time conference. 20 bucks and a pack of smokes would probably cover the exit fees.

Wren and Smat have talked a lot about stepping up to meet the challenges of competing in the American. If they really mean that, Littrell will be let go. Actions speak louder than words.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

For the third time, the kids need to understand what will get called as unsportsmanlike. That said, the rules being setup so that a kid can’t do anything that would even be perceived as “taunting” your opponent is stupid.

Agree it's not the greatest, but you have to at the least understand the situation and the need to get of the field. Maybe we should have a designated person on the side line they can run over to and taunt to get it out of their systems 😈 

12 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

What's amazing is that we can play so poorly and still beat a team on the road who just beat UAB.

We beat them without their Starting QB, only reason for the win, just like last weekend was close because Willis missed over half the game, same with the La Tech game they were using 2nd and 3rd string players. This team is poorly coached and sentimental wins mean squat. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Every team deals with injuries. Even in a worst case situation, the University of North Texas has an annual operating budget of nearly $1billion. The university can cough up $3 million. Smat hired Littrell. He needs to make sure we can get rid of him. C-USA isn't a big time conference. 20 bucks and a pack of smokes would probably cover the exit fees.

Wren and Smat have talked a lot about stepping up to meet the challenges of competing in the American. If they really mean that, Littrell will be let go. Actions speak louder than words.

Sounds good I hope they live up to their words and our reasonable expectations.  I just don’t want to get my hopes up to be disappointed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1