CUSA Departure Timeline

Arkstfan

Hearing any talk of early departure?

At USM and ODU announcements and in stories on Marshall, we keep hearing the same phrase “will enter no later than July 1, 2023” and there have been comments that indicate USM, Marshall, and ODU think they might start as early as July, 2022.

Obviously we aren’t working around the timeline of schools leaving the Sun Belt, the way AAC is doing with UCF, Cincy, and Houston.

The nearest I’ve seen to this was when Sun Belt took in Georgia State a year early in sports that don’t play a season schedule (cross country, track, golf) when CAA booted them from those tournaments and then when FIU joined Sun Belt helped pay their departure fee to A-Sun to get them in immediately. Then MTSU and FAU left early for CUSA. Probably some others I’m forgetting.

Still interesting that there seems to be a chance of some or all leaving early.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Wait ... you're asking us?  I always look for your posts to find information like this.  

Hey I gave ya the part about USM, ODU, and Marshall throwing it as a possibility. Y’all are actually members of CUSA so thought maybe there was other information. I’ve not figured out how to wire bug up inside a toy Jeep 

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Hey I gave ya the part about USM, ODU, and Marshall throwing it as a possibility. Y’all are actually members of CUSA so thought maybe there was other information. I’ve not figured out how to wire bug up inside a toy Jeep 

Well ours is trickle-down from Texas-OU, so it would likely only be if they sped up their timeline. I believe their 2022 schedules are already set, so while it COULD be done and they could certainly absorb whatever costs they need to, I don’t think it’s the same for the rest of us. UT and OU could probably jack up their CURRENT year’s schedule if they wanted to.  We don’t have those dollars. 

That said, if those teams (USM, ODU, etc.) leave a year before we do, do we get the share of their exit fees since we’re still in the conference, and then have to turn around and give it back when we leave?

9 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Well ours is trickle-down from Texas-OU, so it would likely only be if they sped up their timeline. I believe their 2022 schedules are already set, so while it COULD be done and they could certainly absorb whatever costs they need to, I don’t think it’s the same for the rest of us. UT and OU could probably jack up their CURRENT year’s schedule if they wanted to.  We don’t have those dollars. 

That said, if those teams (USM, ODU, etc.) leave a year before we do, do we get the share of their exit fees since we’re still in the conference, and then have to turn around and give it back when we leave?

I believe the Big 12 is starting with the new team regardless of OU/UT leaving early. I think the plan is to make them pay big $$ if they want to leave before 2025

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I believe this is how it is set.

OU and UT are set to start in the SEC in fall 2025.

Houston led the way for the four new Big XII schools to join while Texas and Oklahoma are still in the conference. Theoretically, there would be 14 schools in the Big XII for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. The six AAC additions will move at the same time as the four entering the Big XII.

The Big XII may then invite two or more schools, scheduled to join at the same time OU and UT actually depart. The Big XII may also stay at twelve but I doubt they will. If the Big XII does take these additional schools it will likely be for the 2025 season.

The AAC and MWC will then try to backfill for 2025 accordingly depending on how many are to be lost from each conference.

That's when we get La Tech back.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

11 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

None. Wren said during either the initial press conference or the event at the stadium that we would begin play in September 2023 or 2024, depending on how things work out.

Sun Belt again used no later than July 1, 2023 at Marshall press conference