Texas Tech reaches out to UTSA HC, former Texas assistant Jeff Traylor about HC job

Tom McKrackin

After firing third-year head coach Matt Wells on Monday, 247Sports reports that the Texas Tech Red Raiders have reached out to UTSA Roadrunners head coach and former Texas Longhornsassistant Jeff Traylor about the head honcho job. Traylor and SMU Mustangs head coach Sonny Dykes are currently the lead candidates to fill the vacated job.

read more:  https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2021/10/28/22750554/texas-tech-utsa-texas-jeff-traylor-sonny-dykes-smu

9 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

UTSA twitter is going to be hilarious once Traylor leaves, especially thinking him signing an extension meant he was committed to them lmao. They deserve the fall to earth they are about to experience.

I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!! Some are already saying he should just leave now hahahahahahahahaha

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

32 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!! Some are already saying he should just leave now hahahahahahahahaha

Traylor was an enigma. No way UTSA replicates that kind of success again. Especially on their shoestring budget. I, personally, am looking forward to their fall back to earth. Their fans could use a heavy dose of reality

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If Dykes doesn't go to Tech he might be planning on staying at SMU for a long while

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dykes turn down TT to stay in Dallas. I think SMU will be in next wave to head to Big 12. His job is pretty secure now. I’m sure if both get in same conference it will be easier to recruit to Dallas instead of Lubbock. It may already be easier. After his stint in California I’m sure he will be extremely picky before he makes jump

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dykes turn down TT to stay in Dallas. I think SMU will be in next wave to head to Big 12. His job is pretty secure now. I’m sure if both get in same conference it will be easier to recruit to Dallas instead of Lubbock. It may already be easier. After his stint in California I’m sure he will be extremely picky before he makes jump

I think there is also a fairly important intangibles question in terms of family life quality etc. He has likely now settled in Dallas, but he also had his Dad being a great coach at TT, he spent considerable time out in that area. I don't know where his family and friends are and what kind of living environment he values. If you consider TT a lateral or only a small step up rather than a big one, and you consider what will be your final destination (seems unlikely he will go to a big boy program like LSU or so any more) then these things matter a whole lot.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I had thought Dykes to TT would be a done deal, but with the realignment And the SMU pay I believe he stays. I don’t know where Sonny fits concerning other conferences and schools at this time. Is he an OL Miss guy or maybe a Cincy guy?  I don’t think he would be offered an USC or Notre Dame type position, but if he has another strong winning season he might be.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Wouldn't TTech be taking a pretty good risk jumping on Traylor at this point? He's not even through his 2nd year as HC. He's put up as the greatest recruiter we've ever seen ever but remember, their last coach was too. And is Traylor even winning with his recruits right now?

I would actually be shocked if Tech hired him right now. His class last year wasn't even the best in CUSA....Seth Littrell's was. How is that working out? He may turn into the next Nick Saban eventually but for now.....

From Traylor's point of view his value is sky high right now.....because he actually hasn't done anything and sustained it yet. He should jump all over that job if offered. But I see hiring him at Tech super risky...hell he's riskier than Matt Wells before they hired him.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Well it sounds like he may not be offered the job. I hope he does take it since Texas Tech is on our future schedules. We have a good history against Dykes led red raider teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Wouldn't TTech be taking a pretty good risk jumping on Traylor at this point? He's not even through his 2nd year as HC. He's put up as the greatest recruiter we've ever seen ever but remember, their last coach was too. And is Traylor even winning with his recruits right now?

I would actually be shocked if Tech hired him right now. His class last year wasn't even the best in CUSA....Seth Littrell's was. How is that working out? He may turn into the next Nick Saban eventually but for now.....

From Traylor's point of view his value is sky high right now.....because he actually hasn't done anything and sustained it yet. He should jump all over that job if offered. But I see hiring him at Tech super risky...hell he's riskier than Matt Wells before they hired him.

AD got so drilled on the Wells being an out of state guy. Traylor being a HS legend and a Texas guy is a big plus for the donors. Lubbock is a tough sell with that location.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

AD got so drilled on the Wells being an out of state guy. Traylor being a HS legend and a Texas guy is a big plus for the donors. Lubbock is a tough sell with that location.

THIS. Absolutely no way he goes with a guy that doesn't have Big Texas roots. I think Traylor, Dykes, Briles (lil one) and Lebby are the 4 candidates.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I guess my question is....is Traylor winning with the recruits he's gotten due to him being a Texas legend. Frank Wilson was the SEC recruiter of the year. Remember he was the greatest recruiter ever too. I believe he had the #1 class in the conference in his 2nd year. Maybe he just couldn't coach and now Traylor is winning with Wilson's recruits.

My point is we don't know if this "Texas legend" will sustain this. It just seems super early to me. Put a Tech hat on for a minute....I would be a little nervous bringing him in now.

Think KState and Littrell....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So if Seth's recruiting was best in CUSA ,what he has done with that talent doesn't reflect well on his coaching ability. With all due respect to Sonny, if his last name wasn't Dykes he might not be mentioned for the Tech job based upon his last P5 job at Cal. Having said that, both of these guys have done a great job where they are. I read where the 6 CUSA schools joining the AAC were ranked in terms of value to the conference. UTSA was #1, UNT#6. I have to believe if our football results were reversed so would our value, as until this year no one outside of Texas had ever heard of the Roadrunners. Dykes has SMU operating like a well oiled machine. He has done a wonderful job with transfers, has recruited well in local high schools, and has the Mustangs in a position to be a perpetual bowl participant with top 25 ranking. The only fly in the soup is poor attendance , which doesn't seem to increase even with on field success.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The Big 12 would have to expand to 16 for that to happen IMO. I don't see how that makes $ense. There's no one the Big 12 can invite that would increase their TV deal enough to warrant an expansion that big. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Marty said:

CBS Sports Brian Jones was on The Ticket yesterday morning, he thinks former Chargers HC & TT alum Anthony Lynn is the front runner for the TT job.

If I'm a Tech fan, that hire doesn't really move the needle for me. A career NFL'er with an overall .500 record. Many coaches talk about how different the transition is from college to NFL or vice versa. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ADLER said:

I hope that UTSA finds the money to retain Traylor's services, and I also would like to see Sonny stay at SMU. The ability to retain good coaches will help our American Conference grow in stature.

We want to beat those schools at their best. That's our challenge, not to just beat them when they become miserable again.

2.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1