NCAA Announces New Overtime Rules

UNTLifer

I was unaware of the rules change and didn't see the PSU/Illinois game.  I am now heartbroken because I thought there was finally an OT game that wouldn't make our 7 OT game against FIU look so bad. 😂

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/operations/governing-bodies/article/15280642/ncaa-announces-new-football-overtime-rules?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_email=email&utm_term=&utm_medium=9130G4710801F3S&oly_enc_id=9130G4710801F3S

"When the rules committee surveyed this, the college approach to overtime was overwhelmingly favorable," said David Shaw, chair of the Football Rules Committee and head coach at Stanford. "The challenge is to end the game as fairly and safely as possible. At some point, the game needs to end, and the 2-point play, we think, is the best option."

The impetus for the rules change was a seven-overtime game between Texas A&M and LSU in 2018. Around 200 plays were run (not counting special teams and plays in which penalties were called) in the game, and rules committee members thought that was too many plays for college football players to endure.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I find it ironic that the NCAA, in the interest of player safety, would prefer a running/passing conversion over a kicking conversion.  I have no stats to back this up, but I bet more players are injured per running/passing plays per capita than kicking plays.

I am no General Physician but I will tend to agree with you considering the avg football play is between 4 & 12 seconds while a Kick from snap to kick cant be anymore than 3-4 seconds. 

I think in the event of a tie moving forward, the team captain should write an essay no more than 500 words as to why his team should win.  The essay would be graded by the officials, sent to the NCAA office for review and approval, and the decision then sent back to each team with a 21 day time limit to appeal the decision.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Boy! 2

That overtime game was horrific. I don’t ever need to see another overtime ga r again. They equated it to penalty kicks in soccer. There was no tension. It was just tragic to ask 2 big 10 teams to try something they rarely seem to try. If this was Oklahoma and boise I might not be so sour about it but man that was brutal!

Fry Rice

GMG

• Upvote 2

If I were lord and master of college football, I’d make the following OT changes.

Team going second cannot attempt a FG unless the team going first attempted one. That would reward the team going first to pass up a FG on fourth and short.

Second OT starts at the 30 if both teams score. If neither scores we advance the ball 5 yards to the 20. (Might have helped your 7 OT game).

That’s not going to happen so…

If we are going to insist on doing this player saving try down thing then let’s expedite it. The trudging off and on is slow. Team going first does three attempts. So OT #3 would consist of team A trying three straight two point tries followed by team B trying three. If Team A scores all three, then OT ends as soon as Team B fails. If Team A fails to score then first try that works for B ends the game.

Doing three at a time saves the on and off and moves things quicker and would up the drama doing several at a time.

• Lovely Take 1