GMG.com interview with UNT AD Wren Baker

Harry

• Harry featured this topic

Another good one guys!

Interesting that the president of Memphis called him and they're still close...First thing I thought of was the HC they have a mutual relationship with. If that certain coach gets let go, I wonder if there will be another conversation between the Memphis President and Wren. I saw it in other thread....but I'm now leaning heavily toward him being our guy if he and Littrell are let go. If so....I'm on board.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The test is already on the table and at this point he can't do better than a C.

I'm wondering if he's giving Littrell the official "opportunity" to make a bowl game/winning record before firing him.

Surely Baker doesn't see benefit in keeping Littrell on with a losing season already wrapped up?    Let the players breathe some & just play the rest of the season without having to hear the same tired stuff over & over.   

And if Littrell happens to find some inspiration and can pass it on to the players for 5 straight weeks to close out the season 6-6, then it would be a miracle, and he'd deserve to coach the bowl game... and possibly beyond.    I just don't see it happening.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm wondering if he's giving Littrell the official "opportunity" to make a bowl game/winning record before firing him.

Surely Baker doesn't see benefit in keeping Littrell on with a losing season already wrapped up?    Let the players breathe some & just play the rest of the season without having to hear the same tired stuff over & over.   

And if Littrell happens to find some inspiration and can pass it on to the players for 5 straight weeks to close out the season 6-6, then it would be a miracle, and he'd deserve to coach the bowl game... and possibly beyond.    I just don't see it happening.

And then we go on to win every football game we play until the end of days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought this was all attributed to 2 things: 1. Littrell's buyout dropping significantly the day the season ends, and 2. Wren not being a fan of firing a coach mid-season (ala Benford). Other than that, Littrell is and has been done. I sincerely hope they aren't allowing him to coach for his job. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

That’s so dumb. It was their best uni in a longgg time. Now we have these glorified practice jerseys with no team name, player name, etc on them. 

I agree and have found over the years that nothing signals more clearly the coming of a new head coach. It's as reliable as that smoke signal announcing a new pope.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Highly doubtful. I'd be shocked if Wren didn't start talking with a consulting firm last year, if not the year before, about a potential replacement. Any opportunity he had to save his job vanished weeks ago.

He's currently at 3-9 over his last 12 games. If you just leave 2020 completely out, he's 2-10 out of those 12. He's gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is where my head is.  One more loss and I think Seth’s time is up.  I also think that will mark when we start seeing some of the red shirts seeing some playing time (since it won’t count against their redshirt year) since there won’t be much left to play for this year.  

• Upvote 2