In quest to save his job, Hokies' Justin Fuente a 17-point underdog

meangreen11

23 hours ago, All About UNT said:

My thing is the QB roster management... 

2016 he brings in Jerod Evans from Trinity Valley who breaks all sorts of QB records... then declares for the draft and goes UDFA instead of taking his senior year.

2017's heir apparent Josh Jackson lights it up too but then bounces to the Terps after being asked to compete for the starting job after being injured the next year.  Of course he does barely anything at Maryland

2018 Kansas transfer Ryan Willis takes over and has a 28 touchdowns on the year.. good start.

2019 Willis regresses a bit and Hendon Hooker gets the nod.  Has a great start with 18 total TDs and 2 INTs

2020 Hooker starts again and Va Tech plays just 7 games (he was out for 2). With a 3-4 record on the year they lost 3 games by a total of 14 points. 

2021 Hooker transfers to Tenn for his graduate year and is currently lighting it up 17 TDs in the air and 2 INTs and another 4 TDs on the ground. Burmeister is the VA Tech Qb and has the weakest stat line since Fuente has been there.

that is a ton of turnover at the starting QB position.  The talent has certainly been there (until this year anyway).

Think this post actually had the opposite result of what you were hoping for. I see a coach that has dealt with a lot of QB instability (only slightly of his own making) and continually being able to get good results from the QB he gives the nod to. Not only that, I see a coach that has an eye for talent riding the hot hand despite what may be an unpopular decision and a team scrapping with the big dogs of their conference. Sign me up. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Think this post actually had the opposite result of what you were hoping for. I see a coach that has dealt with a lot of QB instability (only slightly of his own making) and continually being able to get good results from the QB he gives the nod to. Not only that, I see a coach that has an eye for talent riding the hot hand despite what may be an unpopular decision and a team scrapping with the big dogs of their conference. Sign me up. 

No I get the adversity thing. I wish he was able to convince the two quarterbacks that transferred or left for the draft to stay... That's all. I literally just had a call with Harry and I am totally on board with Fuente if he is available.

• Upvote 3

If he is fired it will cost the Hokies $10m. I don’t know how this ties in to salary offset. Bring him in at $1.8m and increase the coaches salary pool by $750k and add a qb coach. Let’s have a big increase assistant coaches pay and establish some continuity. 

Edited by Wag Tag

On 10/29/2021 at 1:33 AM, All About UNT said:

My thing is the QB roster management... 

2016 he brings in Jerod Evans from Trinity Valley who breaks all sorts of QB records... then declares for the draft and goes UDFA instead of taking his senior year.

2017's heir apparent Josh Jackson lights it up too but then bounces to the Terps after being asked to compete for the starting job after being injured the next year.  Of course he does barely anything at Maryland

2018 Kansas transfer Ryan Willis takes over and has a 28 touchdowns on the year.. good start.

2019 Willis regresses a bit and Hendon Hooker gets the nod.  Has a great start with 18 total TDs and 2 INTs

2020 Hooker starts again and Va Tech plays just 7 games (he was out for 2). With a 3-4 record on the year they lost 3 games by a total of 14 points. 

2021 Hooker transfers to Tenn for his graduate year and is currently lighting it up 17 TDs in the air and 2 INTs and another 4 TDs on the ground. Burmeister is the VA Tech Qb and has the weakest stat line since Fuente has been there.

that is a ton of turnover at the starting QB position.  The talent has certainly been there (until this year anyway).

Seems like he has been willing to make a change when needed and the QBs he has played have done pretty well. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Seems like he has been willing to make a change when needed and the QBs he has played have done pretty well. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. Again I can't pin the QB issues on Fuente alone.  It isn't as cut and dry as the QB issues at NT that solely lie on Seth's feet for the situation we are in.  Seth has literally had one decent QB in 6 years and that kid was a Mighty Mouse (no offense Mason Fine...we love you) who no-one else even gave a look at.  

• Upvote 3