Newly Freed-up OOC Schedule

Magic95Fan

(Apologies if this was already discussed in another realignment thread)

So we have a boatload of openings now in our future schedule. We had SMU scheduled nearly every year until eternity. We also had Home and Homes scheduled with Memphis and Tulane (The game at Memphis next year will presumably be played). 

Who do we schedule? Maybe we can get some of those road MWC games that some of us wanted for selfish reasons. 

I'm sure Wren is burning up the phones. 2023 is coming up soon and many teams already have full schedules for several years out.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Magic95Fan said:

(Apologies if this was already discussed in another realignment thread)

So we have a boatload of openings now in our future schedule. We had SMU scheduled nearly every year until eternity. We also had Home and Homes scheduled with Memphis and Tulane (The game at Memphis next year will presumably be played). 

Who do we schedule? Maybe we can get some of those road MWC games that some of us wanted for selfish reasons. 

I'm sure Wren is burning up the phones. 2023 is coming up soon and many teams already have full schedules for several years out.

I bet LATech, FIU, MT & WKU will have some availability soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

image.png.3896abda08b13effc44fa0c96fa8af4b.png

I didn't mark off Missouri in 2030 yet, since we haven't officially announced our move to the SEC.

I wonder if we'll be able to back out of the Memphis game next year, since their won't be a return game?

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

image.png.3896abda08b13effc44fa0c96fa8af4b.png

I didn't mark off Missouri in 2030 yet, since we haven't officially announced our move to the SEC.

I wonder if we'll be able to back out of the Memphis game next year, since their won't be a return game?

Legally we should be able to since the contract is for a home and home. I just imagine it would be very hard to find a replacement at this point. Maybe we negotiate with Memphis to cut us a small check to pay for expenses?

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Legally we should be able to since the contract is for a home and home. I just imagine it would be very hard to find a replacement at this point. Maybe we negotiate with Memphis to cut us a small check to pay for expenses?

Right.  That's what I was thinking.   Turn next season's game there into a small "guarantee" game ($400-$500k, much less than what Mizzou, et al. paid us), and make sure that when we play them in league/division play starting in 2023 that this series starts in Apogee.   Those funds would go a long way in helping us pay C-USA exit fees.

• Upvote 1

So, here's what our options generally look like (tried to give 3). Of course, we have no clue right now what kind of schedule certain teams will have, but we know enough. Ranked by appearance. No, TCU still won't because they are cowards. We already have paychecks - sorry, opportunity games - for all of these years. 

9/9 - Texas/Oklahoma (replacing SEC teams, assuming all moves happen at the same time), UTEP (assuming small/no conference for them), Louisiana (open, need another non-con)
9/16 - Houston (replacing Kansas for them), MTSU/NMSU (open, need another non-con)

9/7 - Houston/UTEP/UNLV (open, need another non-con)

9/13 - Houston/LATech/SoMiss (open, need another non-con)

9/23 - Air Force (we already play Army and Navy), Houston/TxSt (open, need another non-con)

9/8 - Air Force (we already play Army and Navy), LaTech/UTEP (open, need another non-con)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

We have to raise our OOC games if we really want to prove ourselves at the next level. Would love good G5 teams, and bad P5 teams to play. Games that people would be interested in seeing, even if they weren't a fan. Teams like Costal, Boise, K-State, Houston. I'd prefer that we got as far away from the teams in our current C-USA to really break away from that association. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, denton_days said:

We have to raise our OOC games if we really want to prove ourselves at the next level. Would love good G5 teams, and bad P5 teams to play. Games that people would be interested in seeing, even if they weren't a fan. Teams like Costal, Boise, K-State, Houston. I'd prefer that we got as far away from the teams in our current C-USA to really break away from that association. 

I don't entirely disagree, but until 2025 our options are limited - most P5s are scheduled out that far. I do think games against credible, nationally known G5s are the best option. Teams like Coastal offer declining returns - still not too many know they're legit, so the downside of losing is higher than the upside of winning.

Our serieses with SMU and Houston were critical for getting attention from both the American and Mountain West. Keeping a relationship with Houston must be a priority. Other than that, I prefer our basketball scheduling philosophy - OOC is for getting our team ready to face the big boys, not for getting our single win against the Little Sisters of the Poor. 

As far as UTEP goes, they (along with us and Houston for a while) were kept out of the SWC because of integration, so it's a nod to history to keep playing them, plus if we help them out of a jam it helps us politically.