Specific Top Candidates for Next UNT HC

Billy Clyde

Dodge could not have been the 'right hire' if he was stupid enough to think he could win in college with a HS staff.

Same as then, we need someone who is currently winning as a HC at the FBS or FCS level. I'm not going to scour around to find out who that is. That's AD's job. I happen to follow Toledo for MACtion on whatever night of the week in November, and they're not so great this year but that guy has been doing pretty good. So there's an example.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Since we're in a legitimate place for new comparisons, we should stop holding ourselves to CUSA standards. Here's our recruiting rankings in those same years amongst the lineup of the 2023 AAC that we're joining:

2018 • 10th / 14 at #101
2019 • 5th / 14 at #76
2020 • 3rd / 14 at #68
2021 • 4th / 14 at #78

+ Current 2022 • 11th / 14 at #119 - yikes

So those figures aren't too misaligned in trajectory, but the last year and a half are NOT comforting, either. What I think matters more to me, however, is the lack of development from our nice recruiting classes. Development is hard to define but NFL Draft picks is at least a metric, so here we go across the past three seasons with draft rounds in parentheses:

2019 Draft
AAC 11 • CUSA 6
*Houston 3 (1st, 4th, 6th)
Temple 3 (2nd, 5th, 7th)
Memphis 2 (3rd, 4th)
FAU 2 (3rd, 7th)
*UCF 1 (2nd)
Charlotte 1 (3rd)
Tulane 1 (7th)
*Cincinnati 1 (7th)

2020 Draft
AAC 19 • CUSA 10
Memphis 3 (3rd, 7th)
Charlotte 2 (3rd, 4th)
Tulsa 2 (4th, 5th)
Tulane 2 (5th, 7th)
Navy 1 (7th)
*Cincinnati 1 (3rd)
SMU 1 (6th)
*Houston 1 (3rd)
*UCF 1 (4th) 
FAU 1 (4th)

2021 Draft
AAC 19 • CUSA 4
*UCF 6 (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th) - 8th most represented school overall in draft
*Cincinnati 4 (4th, 5th, 7th)
*Houston 3 (1st, 6th, 7th) 
SMU 2 (3rd, 4th)
Tulane 2 (4th, 7th)
Tulsa 1 (1st)
UAB 1 (4th)
North Texas 1 (4th)
East Carolina 1 (4th)
Memphis 1 (5th)

*these schools of course are onwards and upwards.

This is I think the better company we should be seeking to achieve, and thus shoot for coaches who can not only maintain and build on the recruiting trajectory – finish top 60, anyone? – but also aim for one to two draft picks a year as well.

Don’t disagree. Moving forward for sure the target needs to move up more. My point was we should at least be competing with our current conference competition with the talent we have. A good coach could win CUSA next season with our talent. And then take that momentum (and our new conference home) and use it for the better classes you’re talking about. 

• Upvote 2

I know this may be a stretch, but Rolovich from Wazzu who got fired for not taking the vaccine. Fantastic recruiter, would bring in great coaches, good development everywhere he goes...

My 2nd would be Kendal Briles because Texas ties and is a hell of a coach. Him and Bennett, lethal

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I know this may be a stretch, but Rolovich from Wazzu who got fired for not taking the vaccine.

Consider the immediate polarization of the fan base as well as the athletes this hire would create. We cannot afford that.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I know this may be a stretch, but Rolovich from Wazzu who got fired for not taking the vaccine. Fantastic recruiter, would bring in great coaches, good development everywhere he goes...

My 2nd would be Kendal Briles because Texas ties and is a hell of a coach. Him and Bennett, lethal

You cannot go into a lockeroom with a "family" mantra, then choose to die on an extremely-scalable hill, leaving your "family" out in the cold.   As if that's not enough, he turns around and sues his former employer.   Bad optics in this line of work.

• Upvote 9
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

46 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

Consider the immediate polarization of the fan base as well as the athletes this hire would create. We cannot afford that.

almost all the athletes on the Wazzu team loved him, as well as many fans. It was a weird situation, but I don’t think it would be as disastrous or even weird here.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

On 10/26/2021 at 10:50 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Another "The NT fanbase would not approve of coach" - The same people who would be yelling have probably never been to a UNT sporting event. He probably ends up at Liberty when Freeze leaves.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 10/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Welllllll come to think of it, and after reading this espn article, I’ll pass

Not sure what happened there but the article has a definite bias. A little strange that a WSU Regents Professor of Pathology and Infectious Diseases - A employee who will surely be part of the lawsuit, was telling people what was said. But the usual guilty until, during. and even if proven innocent crowd with say how the UNT fanbase will not accept (but they will accept decades of underperforming). 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, UNTLifer said:

Actually, Dodge had college coaching experience as he was our OC/QB coach when Mitch Maher was setting records.  He is a great offensive mind and this hire could have been so good if RV would have limited who he could bring with him from SLC.

Dodge wanted to keep some of the defense coaches and rv told him to clean house. Coach Russell was the only one to apologize for being noneffective in recruiting that year. Miss him. 

• Upvote 3

Since (as Wren said) & I loosely paraphrase him:  “Everyone in the universe is recruiting Texas” maybe it’s time we seriously add the state of Louisiana to our recruiting territory?  

If we make a coaching change in December is there any interest in one of these 3?     
If not for head coach at least the Recruiting Coordinator from one of these  3 schools? 

https://ulmwarhawks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/terry-bowden/3818

https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/billy-napier/1008

https://latechsports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/skip-holtz/2744

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/28/2021 at 8:14 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Another "The NT fanbase would not approve of coach" - The same people who would be yelling have probably never been to a UNT sporting event. He probably ends up at Liberty when Freeze leaves.

Yes. Libertys play by play guy was on the pregame show last week with Dave. He said that their school is all about “forgiveness “.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

Honest question: where do you personally draw the line? What would a coach have to do to disqualify himself for the job in your opinion?

I think you are on board for Briles who ignored rape. The Washington State coach refused to follow a state employment regulation (which isn’t as bad as rape coverup but really stupid during a pandemic and when you make millions) that cost him his job. You seem to imply you are good with Freeze who committed multiple recruiting violations and used his work phone to call hookers despite his born again Christian persona. 
So what exactly does a coach need to do to be untouchable? Or do you believe the wins justify the means at all costs? Again, honest question and I am curious where you stand. 
For the record, I am glad we run a clean program and believe the AD’s mission should be to promote excellence and ethics and prepare our student athletes for success after sports. Wins should be a result of that, not in spite of that. I want us to win and fire losing coaches but not abandon our values to win.

• Thanks 3

If NT decides to go for a new football coach, there will be plenty of great candidates.

I don't see any need to go for anyone with a questionable past.

NT would be one of the top G5 jobs available.   Behind SMU and Boise, but way ahead of most.

Universities when hiring a new coach for a terminated one, generally go for just the opposite type.   In this case, it would be an experienced head coach versus an up and coming assistant. 

I do definitely think Littrell has a good chance of returning if he finishes strong.  

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

If NT decides to go for a new football coach, there will be plenty of great candidates.

I don't see any need to go for anyone with a questionable past.

NT would be one of the top G5 jobs available.   Behind SMU and Boise, but way ahead of most.

Universities when hiring a new coach for a terminated one, generally go for just the opposite type.   In this case, it would be an experienced head coach versus an up and coming assistant. 

I do definitely think Littrell has a good chance of returning if he finishes strong.  

Since Hayden Fry left for Iowa, this has ALWAYS been the case.....even when we were 1-AA.  The problem has ALWAYS BEEN  THE PERSON/PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR DOING THE HIRING. 

Look at the list of hires since Fry left, and except of a couple of coaches, how many times will you say "who the hell thought this was a good idea?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Since Hayden Fry left for Iowa, this has ALWAYS been the case.....even when we were 1-AA.  The problem has ALWAYS BEEN  THE PERSON/PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR DOING THE HIRING. 

Look at the list of hires since Fry left, and except of a couple of coaches, how many times will you say "who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Disagree, NT was always very limited by the budget.   That is why Fry left.

The hiring of McCarney was the first were NT showed they were willing to pay for the right coaches.   Dodge was very much a bargain hire as was Dickey.

NT is not in that place anymore.  They have the facilities, location, academics to attract good coaches and an attractive budget that should only grow with inclusion in the AAC.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Honest question: where do you personally draw the line? What would a coach have to do to disqualify himself for the job in your opinion?

I think you are on board for Briles who ignored rape. The Washington State coach refused to follow a state employment regulation (which isn’t as bad as rape coverup but really stupid during a pandemic and when you make millions) that cost him his job. You seem to imply you are good with Freeze who committed multiple recruiting violations and used his work phone to call hookers despite his born again Christian persona. 
So what exactly does a coach need to do to be untouchable? Or do you believe the wins justify the means at all costs? Again, honest question and I am curious where you stand. 
For the record, I am glad we run a clean program and believe the AD’s mission should be to promote excellence and ethics and prepare our student athletes for success after sports. Wins should be a result of that, not in spite of that. I want us to win and fire losing coaches but not abandon our values to win.

First, not a fan of Briles, Sr. I think you have to look at each case and make a decision and not a blanket once accused never here decision. Look at he situation with Wallis. We do not know what happened, but even after the charges were dropped many were saying "wish you well, just not here". In the case of Freeze, you have decided that it doesn't matter if the NCAA has cleared him he doesn't meet your standards. I disagree.  I'm just not in agreement in many cases of those who appoint themselves judge and jury. And yes, I am also glad  for a clean program, but I would also hope some of the fans we have here are not treated with the same scrutiny and lack of forgiveness in their lives as they seem to want to treat others.

NCAA did not "clear" Freeze. The SEC unbanned him from his SEC employment freeze. Big difference.

Tate and Briles aren't the same, not even close. I wouldn't have touched Tate because of his Baylor association, even before the accusations from a child of abuse. 

21 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

NCAA did not "clear" Freeze. The SEC unbanned him from his SEC employment freeze. Big difference.

Tate and Briles aren't the same, not even close. I wouldn't have touched Tate because of his Baylor association, even before the accusations from a child of abuse. 

You're right - His punishment from the NCAA was to serve a two-conference game suspension if he was hired as a HC before 11/2018.

The NCAA delivered its verdict to the university on Friday and Freeze managed to walk away without sustaining major harm.

He avoided a show cause and will have to serve a two-conference game suspension if he's hired as a head coach between now and Nov. 30, 2018. That suspension doesn't apply to Freeze if he's hired as an assistant within that time, and it doesn't carry over if he's hired as a head coach after that time frame.

Since you referenced the Baylor connection the Baylor connection - Are you of the opinion we should have never hired PB? and Gush?