Matt Wells out at Texas Tech

BillySee58

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I don’t understand, if this is published info than why is it not publish information. I also only find the $1.3m.

I'm not entirely certain but I think for certain filings they have to disclose "something".

Sonny's been north of $3M since before the 2020 season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

I'm not entirely certain but I think for certain filings they have to disclose "something".

Sonny's been north of $3M since before the 2020 season.

For private schools it is common to have football coaches total compensation come from different areas. They only report the direct salary, not the add-ons.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I have no insight into Sonny's mindset b/c when its your alma mater and your dad was a coaching legend it makes for a compelling set of circumstances to leave.

I will say that he's got a pretty sweet gig at SMU.  Top 20 program.  The premiere transfer destination for Texas kids looking to come home and get a great undergrad degree or get their MBA.  Landing multiple 4 star high school recruits.  Making $3.5M living in the most posh zip code in the state with young kids going to HPISD.  Stress level is very low.  No one is putting "For Sale" signs in your yard at SMU if you have a bit of a down year and go 6-6.  

Tech fans will expect results if they are going to pay Sonny $5M a year (and I do think that's where the conversation starts).  I certainly hope he stays for obvious reasons.

🤣

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I will say that he's got a pretty sweet gig at SMU.  Top 20 program.  The premiere transfer destination for Texas kids looking to come home and get a great undergrad degree or get their MBA.  Landing multiple 4 star high school recruits.  Making $3.5M living in the most posh zip code in the state with young kids going to HPISD.  Stress level is very low.  No one is putting "For Sale" signs in your yard at SMU if you have a bit of a down year and go 6-6.  

Absolutely - his is living in the Beverly Hills of Texas and making big bank to do it.  No pressure like you would have at Tech.  it doesn't get much better. 

Quite honestly, Tech is not that great a job in my opinion.  You are out in the desert, and it can't be easy to get kids to come out there compared to bigger cities like Dallas and Houston.  Their expectations are sky high and now that UT and OU have bolted they will not get as good a player as they had been getting.   If I was Sonny I'd ask SMU for a big extension and retire there unless a big time (Texas or A&M) type of P5 job came open.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Maybe I grew up differently than ya'll and value different things but I am 6th generation Texan and you couldn't pay me to live in Highland Park. 

Right there with ya Brother. Give me the country any day over city life and especially an HP type place. 

• Upvote 3