Matt Wells out at Texas Tech

BillySee58

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

What about our offense screams P5 offensive coordinator?

Dykes is very close with Littrell.   Littrell didn't all-of-a-sudden forget how to coach an offense, he just can't motivate anyone as a head guy.  
Littrell could get on a bull in a shoot, and the bull would walk out and lay down.   That's just his demeanor.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Wells leaves Texas Tech at 5-3 on the season, and with a 13-17 record overall in his Tech career. 

Meanwhile, in his last 30 games at UNT, Seth Littrell has a 9-21 record. And 3 of those 9 wins are against FCS schools. 

It makes you wonder if tech has a coach they want in mind and are trying to get him before he goes elsewhere

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Dykes is very close with Littrell.   Littrell didn't all-of-a-sudden forget how to coach an offense, he just can't motivate anyone as a head guy.  
Littrell could get on a bull in a shoot, and the bull would walk out and lay down.   That's just his demeanor.

I don’t know, man. I kind of think an offensive genius would have stepped in and fixed our problems by now. Head coach title or not. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I don’t know, man. I kind of think an offensive genius would have stepped in and fixed our problems by now. Head coach title or not. 

When that guy can't light a fire under the players to go to battle, it's tough.    You can't just have a great X's/O's mind, you gotta be able to motivate your guys to play.   Huge job.    Littrell is a great OC.  His track record proves that.  He'll be an asset to any Spread offense team.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Wells leaves Texas Tech at 5-3 on the season, and with a 13-17 record overall in his Tech career. 

Meanwhile, in his last 30 games at UNT, Seth Littrell has a 9-21 record. And 3 of those 9 wins are against FCS schools. 

Tech makes about $37 million in revenues from TV.

We make around a $1 million

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Someone said it on the Texas Tech board, Dykes looks like he’s a guy that succeeds with good coordinators and a great landscape to recruit in. Unfortunately, Texas Tech isn’t that but I still think it would be a step up.

He was able to win in Ruston for a couple years before Cal hired him away. Pretty sure he'd do fine in Lubbock. 

• Upvote 5

From what I have heard Tech is dodging a major bullet because if they didn't do this there was going to be a mass exodus among their last two classes to the portal. He was not well liked by their players at all. I know for a fact a couple assistant coaches he got rid of once signing day had passed and those kids LOI were secured were pretty happy today as well. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When that guy can't light a fire under the players to go to battle, it's tough.    You can't just have a great X's/O's mind, you gotta be able to motivate your guys to play.   Huge job.    Littrell is a great OC.  His track record proves that.  He'll be an asset to any Spread offense team.

There are great orators and speech givers and there are great speech writers (the ones who are more comfortable behind the scenes who tell the speech givers what to do and say).  It's great when you can find both attributes in one person, but it doesn't always happen.    

I have no insight into Sonny's mindset b/c when its your alma mater and your dad was a coaching legend it makes for a compelling set of circumstances to leave.

I will say that he's got a pretty sweet gig at SMU.  Top 20 program.  The premiere transfer destination for Texas kids looking to come home and get a great undergrad degree or get their MBA.  Landing multiple 4 star high school recruits.  Making $3.5M living in the most posh zip code in the state with young kids going to HPISD.  Stress level is very low.  No one is putting "For Sale" signs in your yard at SMU if you have a bit of a down year and go 6-6.  

Tech fans will expect results if they are going to pay Sonny $5M a year (and I do think that's where the conversation starts).  I certainly hope he stays for obvious reasons.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I have no insight into Sonny's mindset b/c when its your alma mater and your dad was a coaching legend it makes for a compelling set of circumstances to leave.

I will say that he's got a pretty sweet gig at SMU.  Top 20 program.  The premiere transfer destination for Texas kids looking to come home and get a great undergrad degree or get their MBA.  Landing multiple 4 star high school recruits.  Making $3.5M living in the most posh zip code in the state with young kids going to HPISD.  Stress level is very low.  No one is putting "For Sale" signs in your yard at SMU if you have a bit of a down year and go 6-6.  

Tech fans will expect results if they are going to pay Sonny $5M a year (and I do think that's where the conversation starts).  I certainly hope he stays for obvious reasons.

Where are you getting the $3.5M number.  The only references I find online indicate a number around $1.3M.  I would be surprised if it is only $1.3, but can't find anything, even on fan message board.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

He's also coaching at a G5 school in a half empty stadium. The perks of SMU might be enough to make him pass on the Texas Tech job, but he won't stay forever. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Where are you getting the $3.5M number.  The only references I find online indicate a number around $1.3M.  I would be surprised if it is only $1.3, but can't find anything, even on fan message board.

SMU, as a private institution, doesn't have to disclose coaches salary data.  Its why you find stuff like Brian Kelley making $2M at ND when its more likely 5-6M.

Sonny came to SMU at $2M and got a nice bump after the 10-2 season to get to $3.5M.  

3 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

SMU, as a private institution, doesn't have to disclose coaches salary data.  Its why you find stuff like Brian Kelley making $2M at ND when its more likely 5-6M.

Sonny came to SMU at $2M and got a nice bump after the 10-2 season to get to $3.5M.  

I don’t understand, if this is published info than why is it not publish information. I also only find the $1.3m.