Matt Wells out at Texas Tech

BillySee58

He proved to be out of place here in TX.   The best he could do is finish 7th in the Big 12 (2020) in the recruiting rankings.

Now, he might get a chance at another G5 (he should).  If he does, I wonder if NT could somehow nab OC David Yost from him as our OC by paying a little more than wherever Wells ends up.    Yost's resume as a OC/QBs coach is full of a who's who of NFL QBs, and we saw first hand how awesome his offense does when it's clicking.

SMU, get ready to be in the market for a new HC soon.

EDIT:   Nevermind, I didn't know Tech fired Yost as OC after last year & Cumbie was their OC.   Another name for Tech fans to keep their eye on:  Graham Harrell.   IMO, hiring Harrell over Dykes would be a catastrophe for Tech.
I think he's out on the street right now.   Holy moly, what a steal Yost would be for any spread school.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Billy. This is a open end question and understand it may not be answered in this thread. You know a lot on what happens behind the scenes. I don't know much about coaching and have not really gone to the boards to read the many negative responses on replacing SL. I am just disappointed on how the season has gone. But would changing coaches make us any better? SL had some real winning seasons in past with us and has done some good recruiting. I personally like the guy tho I have never met him.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

We can only hope, but I’m pretty sure them West Texas county folk are a little smarter than that. 

Maybe we could go update the meangreensports and wiki websites and they won't notice.

Brawndo has what plant crave.  Brawndo has electrolytes.

Edited by TreeFiddy

7 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

We can only hope, but I’m pretty sure them West Texas county folk are a little smarter than that. 

I could see him going to Lubbock as TT's OC IF Sonny Dykes is hired.  The catch is that Dykes is probably making about the same in salary at SMU, so does he want to live in Lubbock or stay in Dallas?  He is a native of west Texas, having been born in Big Spring, and folks from that region love it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

He's halfway through his 6th season.

He's 9-28 vs FBS opponents with a .500 or better record in 5.5 years.

In the 28 losses, he's lost by an average score of 43 to 22. Seth Littrell has AVERAGED getting beat by 3 TDs against winning FBS programs.

Exactly. It’s a lose lose, most likely, if he’s fired or not. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I could see him going to Lubbock as TT's OC IF Sonny Dykes is hired.  The catch is that Dykes is probably making about the same in salary at SMU, so does he want to live in Lubbock or stay in Dallas?  He is a native of west Texas, having been born in Big Spring, and folks from that region love it.

He's an alum, and he'd be the prodigal son returning to fill Dad's shoes as the guy who brings Tech back to relevance.  Tech fans would EAT THIS UP.   His leash would be plenty long, like he would need it...  He'd have them playing at a Big12 Championship level once UT & OU leave.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

They are probably done with younger G5 coaches, If I’m Tech and the donors, I’m pulling for Dykes alllllllll day

Agreed on all of the above. With their group of oil money tycoons, I keep adding 0's to the check until Dykes says yes.

• Upvote 3

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's an alum, and he'd be the prodigal son returning to fill Dad's shoes as the guy who brings Tech back to relevance.  Tech fans would EAT THIS UP.   His leash would be plenty long, like he would need it...  He'd have them playing at a Big12 Championship level once UT & OU leave.

I agree somewhat on Dykes to Tech...however with caution. I saw a tweet with who he's 7-0 against this season. (including us) he hasn't beaten an FBS team with a winning record yet. And also the way he's winning....he's playing G5 teams with P5 players. Can he beat P5 teams with P5 players? 

Not saying he can't and obviously he would be a good fit but have to look at the whole picture. 

Will be curious to see how they do against Cincy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I agree somewhat on Dykes to Tech...however with caution. I saw a tweet with who he's 7-0 against this season. (including us) he hasn't beaten an FBS team with a winning record yet. And also the way he's winning....he's playing G5 teams with P5 players. Can he beat P5 teams with P5 players? 

Not saying he can't and obviously he would be a good fit but have to look at the whole picture. 

Will be curious to see how they do against Cincy.

They have to get through Houston first. SMU is an underdog last I saw. 

• Upvote 2