No Homecoming Parade?!?!

MeanGreen_MBA

I just found out we are not having a Homecoming Parade this year!! WTF is that all about??  Pardon my French…

we will never establish ourselves as a real player if we do not provide the total experience. Thinking I should cancel my hotel room in Denton since I don’t need to get to the parade early. 

Must gave missed the notice earlier, but this is crazy!!!

• Upvote 4

That sucks. It wasn’t long ago that I would fly in from Boise for this weekend to watch games. But since last year I was done making that investment with an SL coached team. I feel that everyone basically sees the rest of this season as a write off at this point. 

• Upvote 2

How much of a financial impact is this for Denton not having people stay overnight, eat breakfast in town, and any of the dozens of ways people can spend money by simply being in town those extra hours. I am sure many people not even interested in the football game bring kids2grandkids into downtown for the parade. It may not be a million dollars, but could be thousands for some store fronts. 

• Upvote 2

I sent an email from the link provided on the Homecoming page and this was the response I received.

"We are not doing the Homecoming Parade this year. A lot of thought and discussion went into our decision to not hold a Homecoming Parade. A major factor we took into consideration when making this decision is campus and community interest and participation. In the past several years, we have seen a significant drop in student participation and community attendance of the parade. This has led us to move our focus and resources to events and activities that we know our community enjoys and engages in robustly such as the Homecoming Picnic and the Bonfire. Another factor we took into consideration is the amount of waste that the parade generates each year, which does not align with UNT’s commitment to sustainability and eco-friendly practices."

Andie Jackson, M.Ed

Coordinator for Campus-Wide Events

She/Her/Hers

University of North Texas

Student Activities Center

University Union 345

(940) 565-3807

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I sent an email from the link provided on the Homecoming page and this was the response I received.

"We are not doing the Homecoming Parade this year. A lot of thought and discussion went into our decision to not hold a Homecoming Parade. A major factor we took into consideration when making this decision is campus and community interest and participation. In the past several years, we have seen a significant drop in student participation and community attendance of the parade. This has led us to move our focus and resources to events and activities that we know our community enjoys and engages in robustly such as the Homecoming Picnic and the Bonfire. Another factor we took into consideration is the amount of waste that the parade generates each year, which does not align with UNT’s commitment to sustainability and eco-friendly practices."

Andie Jackson, M.Ed

She/Her/Hers

University Union 345

(940) 565-3807

Give fans a winning football team and the entire city of Denton won't be able to contain the amount of people coming to Homecoming 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Andie Jackson, M.Ed

She/Her/Hers

University Union 345

(940) 565-3807

Nobody ever contacted me about having the parade or not. There has always been a decent crowd….it could be bigger, but not if we are not consistent. Regarding the waste/trash…that is part of the whole thing. We have a crew to clean up. You can ask the Greeks to participate as far as community service…which all do. Have the pledges on the clean up crew. 

this is a crock!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Very Interesting! Im guessing they are talking about participation in the parade itself because the streets are always lined up with folks the past 8 years I have taken my kids too it. Seems like a cop-out to me

Right. We always get there early to get a great spot right in the square. There are a ton of people there. 

this is very disappointing 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

What does that explain? She's listing her preferred pronouns which is fairly common at public universities especially when they're trying to be inclusive. Not sure what that has to do with a cancelled parade. 

Just in the last year. I’ve never ever listed preferred pronouns. Don’t care. Have been called worse than he/him/his. It is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

What bad news. Not to get any of us old timers started, but the parade used to be such a big deal. There were at least 20 high school bands participating as well as a few service bands. The parade started at about 10 am and made its way from Ave E to the square via Hickory and then once around the square.

After the parade, the various departments and schools had their open houses. Kick-off was about 2 pm and following the loss game, there was a big concert with the university symphony featuring some B list artist. Great memories.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

What does that explain? She's listing her preferred pronouns which is fairly common at public universities especially when they're trying to be inclusive. Not sure what that has to do with a cancelled parade. 

It’s only been common for about 3 years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

You are a bunch of dolts. It's really about respect and even courtesy to help you address this person properly. 

Do tell - you see the name Andie, what pronoun are you most likely to use? Myself, I have only known "he" Andy's. This is a she. When replying to, or referring to, this correspondence, you can save face and not refer to this person as the wrong thing..  it's truly not a hard concept.

Call people what they want...i don't care. It's respect. Some of you need to put snowflake/fragile as your pronoun.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

4 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

What bad news. Not to get any of us old timers started, but the parade used to be such a big deal. There were at least 20 high school bands participating as well as a few service bands. The parade started at about 10 am and made its way from Ave E to the square via Hickory and then once around the square.

After the parade, the various departments and schools had their open houses. Kick-off was about 2 pm and following the loss game, there was a big concert with the university symphony featuring some B list artist. Great memories.

“Here’s to the sunny slopes of long ago.”

Gus McCrae

• Upvote 5