AAC - North Texas Branding

El Paso Eagle

17 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Then you should have asked them to explain Stanford who use a green TREE but use a bird to refer to the color RED.

Cal fans despise Stanford. I'm not trying to get my ass kicked at an away game. I could only handle one L that day.

2 hours ago, C Rod said:

K.I.S.S. - Our current brand strategy sends mixed messages and will continue to be confusing to outsiders. 

You know what is the best and most simple thing to do?  Win.  Alabama has an elephant. Georgia Tech are Yellow Jackets but they have a Rambling Wreck they are known for also.  The Hurricanes have a dumb looking bird running around.  I don’t have to say which hurricanes because this one wins.   What the hell is a Buckeye?  Could you draw what a real one accurately for $1,000 cash right now based on memory?  What’s a Nittany Lion?  And it seems like Oregon never wears the same uniforms twice.   And don’t get me started with schools primarily known for Basketball.

1. Win

2. Win

3. Win

4. Stop Tinkering with your primary Green (alternate black jersey and/or pants once in a while but they should never be a jersey completely devoid of Green & White)

5. Limit those throw back uniforms with NT helmets for out of conference  homecoming games against old FCS rivals SFA, McNeese State, and Sam Houston.  (Maybe Texas State if they are the homecoming game)

6.  Stick with the Eagle.  

A year after the Arkansas win a cashier in the Little Rock area commented on some North Texas stuff I had on.  You know why?  We kicked that state flagship university team’s ass on national TV.  I been through that state over a 12 times over the past decade.  Not once did I ever get an comment on my North Texas stuff.  “Kick ass and take names” should be Kick ass and they will remember your name.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, C Rod said:

I went to the Cal game in 2019, and Cal fans were so confused by our brand strategy. They saw the Diving Eagle baseball cap I wore and kept asking me why do we have an Eagle mascot yet we go by the name Mean Green? When I would explain it, the look of confusion never went away. And it was always followed up by, “Where is North Texas anyway?” 🤦🏻‍♂️

On the metro, a Philadelphia Eagles fan came up to me thinking I was a fellow Eagles fan only to lose his mind when he saw I was wearing a Dallas Cowboys hoodie. I won't ever forget the look of bewilderment and disgust he gave me.

If we asked Wieden+Kennedy, GSD&M, or Leo Burnett ad agencies for branding advice, they would immediately tell us to put UNT or NT on our helmet as our primary logo, (like UNC Tarheels) and make the Diving Eagle logo, our secondary logo.

K.I.S.S. - Our current brand strategy sends mixed messages and will continue to be confusing to outsiders. 

They were Cal fans. 

I just want us to stick with one and list the preferred pronouns. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, C Rod said:

I went to the Cal game in 2019, and Cal fans were so confused by our brand strategy. They saw the Diving Eagle baseball cap I wore and kept asking me why do we have an Eagle mascot yet we go by the name Mean Green? When I would explain it, the look of confusion never went away. And it was always followed up by, “Where is North Texas anyway?” 🤦🏻‍♂️

On the metro, a Philadelphia Eagles fan came up to me thinking I was a fellow Eagles fan only to lose his mind when he saw I was wearing a Dallas Cowboys hoodie. I won't ever forget the look of bewilderment and disgust he gave me.

If we asked Wieden+Kennedy, GSD&M, or Leo Burnett ad agencies for branding advice, they would immediately tell us to put UNT or NT on our helmet as our primary logo, (like UNC Tarheels) and make the Diving Eagle logo, our secondary logo.

The issue is we don’t win enough for people to actually care. When you lose it’s confusing when you win it’s unique. 

3082F6C8-0763-460D-AFD0-36CD52E603D6.jpeg

B77E7C1C-0D47-4D29-94FD-C3BF42AD5868.jpeg

945CE73B-339B-4A7D-B5B4-8800930CAA7C.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

The issue is we don’t win enough for people to actually care. When you lose it’s confusing when you win it’s unique. 

3082F6C8-0763-460D-AFD0-36CD52E603D6.jpeg

B77E7C1C-0D47-4D29-94FD-C3BF42AD5868.jpeg

945CE73B-339B-4A7D-B5B4-8800930CAA7C.png

You are correct we don’t win enough. 

BTW the logos you posted are the secondary logos for Alabama and Marshall, not their primary logos. 

50 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You know what is the best and most simple thing to do?  Win.  Alabama has an elephant. Georgia Tech are Yellow Jackets but they have a Rambling Wreck they are known for also.  The Hurricanes have a dumb looking bird running around.  I don’t have to say which hurricanes because this one wins.   What the hell is a Buckeye?  Could you draw what a real one accurately for $1,000 cash right now based on memory?  What’s a Nittany Lion?  And it seems like Oregon never wears the same uniforms twice.   And don’t get me started with schools primarily known for Basketball.

1. Win

2. Win

3. Win

4. Stop Tinkering with your primary Green (alternate black jersey and/or pants once in a while but they should never be a jersey completely devoid of Green & White)

5. Limit those throw back uniforms with NT helmets for out of conference  homecoming games against old FCS rivals SFA, McNeese State, and Sam Houston.  (Maybe Texas State if they are the homecoming game)

6.  Stick with the Eagle.  

A year after the Arkansas win a cashier in the Little Rock area commented on some North Texas stuff I had on.  You know why?  We kicked that state flagship university team’s ass on national TV.  I been through that state over a 12 times over the past decade.  Not once did I ever get an comment on my North Texas stuff.  “Kick ass and take names” should be Kick ass and they will remember your name.

I agree, we gotta win to get noticed. It also helps to be in a P5 league like all of the example schools you cited. 

Just now, C Rod said:

You are correct we don’t win enough. 

BTW the logos you posted are the secondary logos for Alabama and Marshall, not their primary logos. 

Oh no! How embarrassing. 

Alabama Crimson Tide 

Marshall Thundering Herd

North Texas Mean Green

Probably more out there but my point was all these programs have a unique name and a mascot that is either ambiguous or has nothing to do with the schools official nickname. 

14 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Oh no! How embarrassing. 

Alabama Crimson Tide 

Marshall Thundering Herd

North Texas Mean Green

Probably more out there but my point was all these programs have a unique name and a mascot that is either ambiguous or has nothing to do with the schools official nickname. 

Agreed. However the difference is Alabama and Marshall don't use their ambiguous mascot logos as their primary logo like we do. 

• Upvote 1