AAC - North Texas Branding

El Paso Eagle

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hate to bring up uniform talk on a Monday but when we start play in the AAC I hope we stop with the Uniform of the week changes. Pick a home set and a road set and stay with it. Not saying that we couldn't do occasional special  uniforms, but when you change weekly nothings really special. And also, no uniforms without names on the back.

We’re all tired with the co start changes but the kids like it and it keeps them motivated so In good with it myself.

• Upvote 3

Just now, kj86 said:

Also, I think "North Texas" is going away in favor of "UNT".  It's been that way for a while as far as general university branding, but now athletics are going to fall in line as well.  I don't like it, but I'm pretty sure that's where we're headed.

As well it should be.  North Texas sounds very directional.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If the uniform changes are what is motivating the players then maybe that helps explain the product on the field. If the coaches and winning are not enough then were in for many more bad games.

Good point EP Eagle.  UNT players need to concentrate on winning the scoreboard points, not "styling points".  And we fans are just as guilty.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

USC, UCF, and several Belt teams keep that "U". Guess it's the way to go but I always refer to UNT as North Texas and it's understood who I'm referring to.....

For UNT fans, yes we know all of this, but UNT needs to do a better job developing a brand that is recognized outside our area. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've made my feelings known in other threads.  Building a brand is one thing, but that also means always defending your brand.  If it's North Texas, then it must always be North Texas.  No abbreviations allowed in any channel ever.  Never allow the North Texas brand to be any flavor of N. Texas, Nor Tex, NTex, North Tex, NT or god forbid, No Texas.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

USC, UCF, and several Belt teams keep that "U". Guess it's the way to go but I always refer to UNT as North Texas and it's understood who I'm referring to.....

You have an eagle with "UNT" on his shirt and not something with "North Texas". That's the same dilemma that our marketing teams have to deal with. 

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, kj86 said:

When I say where I went, I say "North Texas".

When I say I'm going to the game, I say "the Mean Green game".  As in, "I can't make it to your lame event.  There's a Mean Green game that day."

The "problem" is that in some contexts, north Texas refers to an area or region of the country/state or is routinely used by other entities.  If someone isn't in the know, when you answer North Texas, they could respond with, "ok, but where in north Texas?"  On the other hand, UNT refers to the University of North Texas in all contexts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

The "problem" is that in some contexts, north Texas refers to an area or region of the country/state or is routinely used by other entities.  If someone isn't in the know, when you answer North Texas, they could respond with, "ok, but where in north Texas?"  On the other hand, UNT refers to the University of North Texas in all contexts. 

The University of South Florida , know as " South Florida" or "USF", has the same  issue. Wonder how they handle it. Their "BULL" logo looks like two squigglies  but when they tried to switch to a bull similar to  Merrill Lynch's it caused such an uproar that their Administration dropped the idea. Just put " UNT" on the sides of the  helmet ," Mean  Green " on the back of the helmet ,"North Texas " on the front on the jersey , and a "Swooping Eagle" on the jersey sleeve. That should end any confusion, right?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

NT logo = bad branding

Diving Eagle logo = good branding 

I went to the Cal game in 2019, and Cal fans were so confused by our brand strategy. They saw the Diving Eagle baseball cap I wore and kept asking me why do we have an Eagle mascot yet we go by the name Mean Green? When I would explain it, the look of confusion never went away. And it was always followed up by, “Where is North Texas anyway?” 🤦🏻‍♂️

On the metro, a Philadelphia Eagles fan came up to me thinking I was a fellow Eagles fan only to lose his mind when he saw I was wearing a Dallas Cowboys hoodie. I won't ever forget the look of bewilderment and disgust he gave me.

If we asked Wieden+Kennedy, GSD&M, or Leo Burnett ad agencies for branding advice, they would immediately tell us to put UNT or NT on our helmet as our primary logo, (like UNC Tarheels) and make the Diving Eagle logo, our secondary logo.

K.I.S.S. - Our current brand strategy sends mixed messages and will continue to be confusing to outsiders. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

40 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I went to the Cal game in 2019, and Cal fans were so confused by our brand strategy. They saw the Diving Eagle baseball cap I wore and kept asking me why do we have an Eagle mascot yet we go by the name Mean Green? When I would explain it, the look of confusion never went away. And it was always followed up by, “Where is North Texas anyway?” 🤦🏻‍♂️

Then you should have asked them to explain Stanford who use a green TREE but use a bird to refer to the color RED.

• Upvote 1