2022 Winter Olympics

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

We may not like China but the rest of the world is ok with them.  I also think their economic power allows countries to look the other way.

This has nothing to do with the Covid virus and everything to do with their horrible record on human rights.  They should never be considered to host the Olympics.

For the person that voted on the post above, I would love to read your justification.  The little ranking system doesn't mean that much to me, but I would love to hear the person's opinion that disagrees.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

On 10/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, UNTLifer said:

Based on all that is known about China, why in the world are they allowing this country to host the Olympics?

Beijing was selected in July of 2015 to host this year’s winter games. Kazakhstan was the runner up.  We already did the summer games there in 2008 and they went off ok.

The biggest worry I would have is any power outages they may have after I watched this video earlier today.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Beijing was selected in July of 2015 to host this year’s winter games. Kazakhstan was the runner up.  We already did the summer games there in 2008 and they went off ok.

The biggest worry I would have is any power outages they may have after I watched this video earlier today.

I am not worried about if they go off alright or not.  It is the fact that they have a  terrible record of human rights atrocities, even back as far as 2015, and far beyond that.  They don't deserve to host the Olympics or anything else, but people and organizations turn a blind eye because of their impact on the global economy.  The NBA is a prime example.  They criticize all these things they perceive as wrong with the United States, but remain silent towards China because they are scared of losing the large following in China.  It is the height of hypocrisy.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not worried about if they go off alright or not.  It is the fact that they have a  terrible record of human rights atrocities, even back as far as 2015, and far beyond that.  They don't deserve to host the Olympics or anything else, but people and organizations turn a blind eye because of their impact on the global economy.  The NBA is a prime example.  They criticize all these things they perceive as wrong with the United States, but remain silent towards China because they are scared of losing the large following in China.  It is the height of hypocrisy.

Maybe so, but it comes down to who wants to host the Olympics. Norway was initially in but backed out early on leaving Kazakstan and China and it seems the decision may have come down to financial resources. I’m not arguing if China is good or bad (I personally think their handling of Covid was beyond atrocious) but simply saying you can only pick from the choices you have, somewhat  like in US presidential elections, and they only had 2 to choose from.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, UNTLifer said:

Based on all that is known about China, why in the world are they allowing this country to host the Olympics?

Meh.  There's a grand tradition of Olympics held in countries ruled by ruthless, genocidal dictators. 

Looks like we're on schedule. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The supply chain issues of late prove why we must keep China at arms length. Cable news pundits can talk a big game wrt China, and much is warranted, but supply chains are a matter of national security. China knows this, the US knows this, and it's exactly why Washington is only so tough, both sides, with them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

The supply chain issues of late prove why we must keep China at arms length. Cable news pundits can talk a big game wrt China, and much is warranted, but supply chains are a matter of national security. China knows this, the US knows this, and it's exactly why Washington is only so tough, both sides, with them.

I'm just now getting into this, because the shipping delays are impacting some needs I have for work.

Can you elaborate on how the China relationship is involved? I've only just begun to wrap my mind around this, and thought it was mostly due to labor shortages on our end, coupled with increased shipping demands from the US consumer (due to lockdowns).

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm just now getting into this, because the shipping delays are impacting some needs I have for work.

Can you elaborate on how the China relationship is involved? I've only just begun to wrap my mind around this, and thought it was mostly due to labor shortages on our end, coupled with increased shipping demands from the US consumer (due to lockdowns).

Delays that start in China have a rolling wave effect all over.

One of the key area at risk are the precious and rare commodities. China sits on some of the largest sites for extracting as well as they have been buying up and stockpiling many of them used to manufacture chips and electronics. Due to their cheap cost (through almost slave labor conditions) they have priced many items so low that companies have gone all in and have no backup source for materials if the pipeline was/is cut off. 

For shipping containers China has such tremendous volume that they can basically control and manulipate the rates and sailing schedules. Combine this with the backlogs at the docks you get additional delays. And yes, the unions are taking advantage of the backlogs.

The shortage of truck drivers is also hindering and causing delays and prices to rise. Lanes that not long ago you could move for $1200-$1300 are now costing over $2000. Last week I was looking to move a load out of El Paso to Dallas. Their were less than 15 trucks posted looking to  there. The were in excess of 80 shippers looking for a truck! Drivers are also being more selective on the routes they will take and the days they will drive. Weekly we have loads where the dispatchers say were good to go only to get a call back that the driver decided to not go out today. The raising cost of diesel (Over 55% this year) is also being passed on directly up the supply chain and to the consumers

Warehouses are having a very hard time finding workers. This is causing two issues. Delays in receiving. Last week in California I had two trucks that usually take 2-3 hours to unload take 7-8 hours due to shortages of manpower. To try and find workers they are offering higher salaries. These add fees which are passed on all the way up the chain. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1