DMN COACHING carousel

Wag Tag

The Dallas Morning News, had an interesting article ranking and predicting possible changes.

1 Jimbo, maybe LSU?

2 Dykes, " For his next miracle, see Sonny makes 6,000 fans look a full house. Sonny can't continue to sell recruits on high school crowds."

3 Aranda

4 Traylor," UTSA is his dream job, but once another job in Texas opens , he'll wake up."

5. Patterson, " Never before had he gone more than  2 seasons without double digit wins"

12, or last Seth He should of left after back to back 9 win seasons, like Graham Harrell.

/

2 Dykes, " For his next miracle, see Sonny makes 6,000 fans look a full house. Sonny can't continue to sell recruits on high school crowds."

EVERYONE, outside of a few flat earthers in University Park, knows that this is the ceiling of potential at SMU

Here’s the article (if you can get behind the pay wall) 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-am-aggies/2021/10/24/could-someone-from-texas-fill-the-lsu-vacancy-a-look-at-overachievers-and-head-coaches-in-trouble/

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The Dallas Morning News, had an interesting article ranking and predicting possible changes.

1 Jimbo, maybe LSU?

3 Aranda

4 Traylor," UTSA is his dream job, but once another job in Texas opens , he'll wake up."

5. Patterson, " Never before had he gone more than  2 seasons without double digit wins"

12, or last Seth He should of left after back to back 9 win seasons, like Graham Harrell.

Can you imagine what Traylor could do with the resources at UNT? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

EVERYONE, outside of a few flat earthers in University Park, knows that this is the ceiling of potential at SMU

Here’s the article (if you can get behind the pay wall) 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-am-aggies/2021/10/24/could-someone-from-texas-fill-the-lsu-vacancy-a-look-at-overachievers-and-head-coaches-in-trouble/

SMU fans not happy with those comments he made, but they are blind to the truth. Past 2 games, endzone and pressbox facing side was deserted 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Dykes, " For his next miracle, see Sonny makes 6,000 fans look a full house. Sonny can't continue to sell recruits on high school crowds."

I watched Thursday night's game and found it comical that conference mate SMU reported the attendance at over 22,000.

North Texas should do something similar using the same ratios and report a game attendance at something like 500,000

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

I watched Thursday night's game and found it comical that conference mate SMU reported the attendance at over 22,000.

North Texas should do something similar using the same ratios and report a game attendance at something like 500,000

I am being serious when I say that SMU season ticket holders were logging into their ticket account and finding 10 extra 'complimentary' tickets distributed by the AD to their accounts.  I am sure so they could report # tickets distributed.  Multiple posters on PonyFans confirmed this was happening before the game.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, ADLER said:

Nobody would argue SMU doesn't have low attendance but for anyone watching the game on TV it's very descriptive due to the way the stadium is built and where the cameras are located.  The stadium fills very unevenly as everyone prefers the west side.

I was at the Thursday game, there were probably 16,000-18,000. It was also a blowout so it started emptying out at halftime. Also a problem, but the hysterics of 6000 attendance is silly and and inaccurate. For a Thursday game against a garbage opponent with no visiting fans, really not that bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

17 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

1 Jimbo, maybe LSU?

3 Aranda

/

I do not see Jimbo leaving A&M.  He has more there than he would ever have at LSwho

They can pay Dykes to ignore attendance

Aranda seems like the real deal but he is still living off of Rhules players no?

Traylor is as good as gone!  He can’t wait to get out of that hell hole!

Stick a fork in Patterson he’s done.  He might end up being a UNT candidate.

Agree in Seth he screwed up staying here knowing what he built was on a deck of cards.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I am being serious when I say that SMU season ticket holders were logging into their ticket account and finding 10 extra 'complimentary' tickets distributed by the AD to their accounts.  I am sure so they could report # tickets distributed.  Multiple posters on PonyFans confirmed this was happening before the game.

Sadly, I don't have a problem with that unless it's just to fudge the tickets distributed number.

A schools best salesmen are the people who care enough to purchase season tickets. If their friends and family can go and have a great time they are more likely to return as ticket purchasers. This is so much smarter than giving tickets to youth groups, scouts, and orphans where you're just paying children to occupy seats and there is no return on the investment.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, ADLER said:

Further, we (the UNT we) have at least two games with an announced attendance of 13k and the one I was at was inflated or not at about the same ratio as SMU.  SMU has had several games with 4000 student tickets scanned, which is 2/3 of their undergrad population. 13k total attendance is less than 50% of the student body - what % of students do you think came to the game?

We (UNT) are in absolutely no position to throw attendance shade. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I do not see Jimbo leaving A&M.  He has more there than he would ever have at LSwho

They can pay Dykes to ignore attendance

Aranda seems like the real deal but he is still living off of Rhules players no?

Traylor is as good as gone!  He can’t wait to get out of that hell hole!

Stick a fork in Patterson he’s done.  He might end up being a UNT candidate.

Agree in Seth he screwed up staying here knowing what he built was on a deck of cards.

Another tid bit was that La produces more D1 football players per capita than any other state!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I Stick a fork in Patterson he’s done.  He might end up being a UNT candidate.

TCU may learn the lesson that you don’t put up a statue of your present coach (as they did in front of their fancy rebuild of ACS & that before UT/OU said “see ya’ later”, Horned Frogs); anyway, you don’t do the statue thing until the coach retires?

••• Lets be real here, our favorite school (& others) could not afford Patterson’s annual ACS parking decal fee with what TCU pays him for his annual salary. 

👏👏KUDOS to all who showed up at Apogee for the matinee show the other day.  Most of you who didn’t show had to be a bit surprised at it, too, eh?  

📍Cougar Red, how was attendance at your game the other night?🙄(OK, we’ll give you the rain delay, too).

Watching DVR’ed replays of many games from last weekend I’d say few have reason to celebrate their respective home attendance numbers. •••The NCAA may have to go back to enforcing their attendance criteria.😳

🔥 I sat by 2 LU Flames fans who were a blast to talk to during the game.  It was a Fathere/Son who each flew from Virginia & Georgia (respectfully) to meet at DFW Airport & would rent a car to make the 25 minute drive to Apogee.  
They were fun & very complimentary of the Mean Green Village venues & the GB.  I told them Wren, Don Loveless & company visited their IPF among several others before they finalized our blueprints.  

Here’ some of our crowd the other day.  We’ve all seen worse for an almost winless team. F4A36B0F-9478-4D94-9B96-E4A4E22BA3A8.thumb.jpeg.621b742df8bff08a4f000571ce6546d0.jpeg

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Sadly, I don't have a problem with that unless it's just to fudge the tickets distributed number.

A schools best salesmen are the people who care enough to purchase season tickets. If their friends and family can go and have a great time they are more likely to return as ticket purchasers. This is so much smarter than giving tickets to youth groups, scouts, and orphans where you're just paying children to occupy seats and there is no return on the investment.

Agree, but as Wren mentioned, when they show up they pay to park and they buy concessions. I wish there was a better way to connect some of these empty-seat tickets with people that would show. Make them available to First responders, area HS plyers, etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I see Patterson being moved into administration at TCU or just retiring if he doesn't get the ship "righted".  My expectation, being a fan of Fuentes, is that they go after him since he had previous success there under Patterson.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

For a team that is undefeated and ranked in the top 25 the attendance was pathetic. Yeah, our attendance sucks right now, but if we were undefeated and ranked we'd have AT LEAST 25K butts in seats. 

This. The closest we've come to being ranked in recent history was in 2018, opening the season with a W against SMU, and 4-0 including a win against Arkansas with the viral punt return. That next home game with La Tech had 30,100 show up. And they were actually there.

We're taking our lumps with having a bad team this year, but SMU will never have scoreboard on us when it comes to attendance and all else is equal.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ColoradoEagle said:

This. The closest we've come to being ranked in recent history was in 2018, opening the season with a W against SMU, and 4-0 including a win against Arkansas with the viral punt return. That next home game with La Tech had 30,100 show up. And they were actually there.

We're taking our lumps with having a bad team this year, but SMU will never have scoreboard on us when it comes to attendance and all else is equal.

When you have a great season you have fans. What's your point?

SMU is ranked but we haven't played anyone. Our win vs TCU turned out to be a crappy TCU and our next best win might be vs UNT which is entirely meaningless. We all know this. It's an expectation at this point, not something noteworthy.  If we beat teams that matter, Houston, UCF, etc, it'll be a different story. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

When you have a great season you have fans. What's your point?

SMU is ranked but we haven't played anyone. Our win vs TCU turned out to be a crappy TCU and our next best win might be vs UNT which is entirely meaningless. We all know this. It's an expectation at this point, not something noteworthy.  If we beat teams that matter, Houston, UCF, etc, it'll be a different story. 

So if your next home game were against La Tech you would have 31,000 there?

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

My point is we actually aren't.  We've beat nobody and a few of those were skin of the teeth. 

I get what you're saying, but SMU needing a name opponent to fill its stadium has been an issue for decades. That used to be us as well, but now with 42k students all we have to do is sniff success to sell the thing out as we saw in 2018. I'm wondering how SMU bridges the gap between a smaller student population and selling out Ford the way TCU has with Amon Carter over the past 15-20 years.

And I'm not rooting against SMU here. I want SMU, and by extension the AAC, to succeed. Same way I don't necessarily like UTSA either, but I want them to succeed because it raises the profile of the conference.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

SMU is well aware that they can't really sell out based on alumni alone which is why it is so critical that they have casual and visiting fans pack the house to see the visiting team.  It just comes with the territory when your enrollment is ~10,000 students.  We on the other hand have no excuse other than consistently bad football.

• Upvote 2

SMU is a school with an undergrad enrollment of 6,700 and we had over 20k in attendance for a week night game against a terrible Tulane team.  

I get that a lot of folks here hate SMU but if we want to play the ratio game then a school with nearly 40k undergrads and having 13k against a pretty decent Liberty squad on a Saturday evening is well.....ya know.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1