Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Is a safety reviewable ?


greenjoe
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Liberty QB was in the grasp of the defense.  Should the officials have waited for the WB to be thrown to the turf before calling a safety ?  
 

Failing that scenario, isn’t throwing the ball backwards facing away from downfield intentional grounding ?

This play must not have been reviewable since no review was asked for by coach or officials.  
 

That play cost us the game.

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re the refs paid off to favor Liberty?

Kidding aside, the officiating in this game was terrible! There were many blown calls!

I have only very badly criticized game officiating a couple times: the non touchdown catch by Texas and now this Liberty game!


IMHO, the refs cost us this game! If we got the safety and the 2 points to tie the game, the momentum was back to the team, and Liberty would kick back to us.

The missed grounding call was another big game changer too. 
 

Sorry ass refs! Never use these officials again!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, it technically does follow the rules, but the rules obviously need to be changed, because that was bull****. Why doesn’t intentional grounding count outside of the pocket? Makes no sense. Or if the ball is intentionally fumbled and rolls out if bounds, should that be a safety?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I happed to be standing very close to that play when it happened.   Agreed, it did look REALLY suspicious, and we all know the QBs intent was to just get rid of a live grenade.....So alot of stuff was happening there...Biggest sin that was committed, is he was clearly in the grasp, failing and flailing, being dragged off balance by at at least 2 UNT guys (maybe 3?, I dont remember...) The whistle SHOULD have been blown, his play was going nowhere...

As for other rules, I'd be interested to hear a Ref's complete explanation.    Yes, he did throw the ball, no-look, backwards over his shoulder...But, as odd as that looks, I dont think there's any rule about exactly "HOW" you throw a forward pass...   He was outta the tackle box, and the very close to the sidelines when it was chucked...He got extremely lucky on that call...  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe he was down. Wrapped up and zero forward progress. If that was Aune, we would have been given a safety.

A question I have is if the QB tosses the ball underhand like he did and we recovered it, wouldn’t that be a turnover?

Isn’t that a live ball like it was a pitch to a running back?

Was this play just too confusing for the refs so they chose the worst/easiest option?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Hookset said:

I believe he was down. Wrapped up and zero forward progress. If that was Aune, we would have been given a safety.

A question I have is if the QB tosses the ball underhand like he did and we recovered it, wouldn’t that be a turnover?

Isn’t that a live ball like it was a pitch to a running back?

Was this play just too confusing for the refs so they chose the worst/easiest option?

Any pass going forward, underhand or not is a forward pass. I get that. So throwing it over your head backwards may he conspired a forward pass, but with the spirit of the rule, this is intentional grounding. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, Withers940 said:

Here is the play in question. He did manage to shot put the ball past the line of scrimmage but I thought there needed to be someone in the vicinity if the ball stays in bounds

Once QB is outside of the tackle box only requirement to avoid grounding is for the ball to cross the line of scrimmage. The rule for forward pass doesn’t require facing the target. A few schools have run a trick play where the QB fakes a handoff and turns his back to the line of scrimmage then flips the ball over his head. 
 

The kicker on this is the defender trying to get the QB under control ends up pushing him toward the line of scrimmage so there is forward progress. 
 

By fluke I happened to tune in just before it happened and initially thought wow, and then it dawned on me, out of pocket, legal forward pass, forward progress, it’s an incomplete pass. 
 

I immediately dashed off an email to Steve Shaw so it might show up in this week’s rules review video. 

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Once QB is outside of the tackle box only requirement to avoid grounding is for the ball to cross the line of scrimmage. The rule for forward pass doesn’t require facing the target. A few schools have run a trick play where the QB fakes a handoff and turns his back to the line of scrimmage then flips the ball over his head. 
 

The kicker on this is the defender trying to get the QB under control ends up pushing him toward the line of scrimmage so there is forward progress. 
 

By fluke I happened to tune in just before it happened and initially thought wow, and then it dawned on me, out of pocket, legal forward pass, forward progress, it’s an incomplete pass. 
 

I immediately dashed off an email to Steve Shaw so it might show up in this week’s rules review video. 

it's too bad that they can't let humans make decisions. The rule to protect a players safety is great. However, in this case it wasn't to do that, he just didn't want to lose yards. Let the refs make that determination and call it a safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2021 at 10:00 AM, MeanGreenHoops said:

it's too bad that they can't let humans make decisions. The rule to protect a players safety is great. However, in this case it wasn't to do that, he just didn't want to lose yards. Let the refs make that determination and call it a safety.

NCAA disagrees 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

NCAA disagrees 

 

What they don't discuss in the video and what some have taken issue with is at what point is the QB wrapped up with forward progress stopped? After seeing the play again, I think you can easily argue the QB is still struggling forward enough for the refs to allow the pass without blowing the play dead. 

*Side note: I love how this week's video didn't include the OU vs Kansas play. Now THAT was a blown call on forward progress. The ball carrier should not be able to give up the ball after he's been hit and driven back multiple yards.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What they don't discuss in the video and what some have taken issue with is at what point is the QB wrapped up with forward progress stopped? After seeing the play again, I think you can easily argue the QB is still struggling forward enough for the refs to allow the pass without blowing the play dead. 

*Side note: I love how this week's video didn't include the OU vs Kansas play. Now THAT was a blown call on forward progress. The ball carrier should not be able to give up the ball after he's been hit and driven back multiple yards.

Yeah I think you can argue the defender actually gave the QB forward progress in trying to tackle him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.