Are Seth and QB Bryce Drummond a Package Deal? (and should it matter)

Mike Jackson

Please anyone sell me retaining Seth till the end of the season if he isn’t going to see what the other quarterbacks on the roster with eligibility for 2022 have to offer.  Because this is very depressing season so far.  Seth isn’t (and shouldn’t) save his job for the 2022 season without 3 more wins and not looking terrible in the losses.  I think that is the standard for retention and it appears there is a 90% chance of that not happening.  What is the point keeping Seth other than limiting transfers because the players like Drummond like him?  Of his most prize recruits currently not injured, Drummond is the centerpiece which is why a focus on him.  The highlight video is decent but other than the throw at around 1:49 I just think is he an average looking FBS level QB recruit.  That throw you could say he threw his receiver to the open space and it looked like a difficult throw.  All the rest just showed decent arm strength and accuracy on deep balls.  That is great but I think we all know that isn’t the bread and butter of this offense.  Mason accuracy in within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage was deadly the receivers would catch and run those receptions for long distances.  Maybe Bryce has that also but the highlight video doesn’t showcase that.  (And so far we have seen that Aune nor Ruder appear to have that accuracy).  

So if Drummond is the key to the future why not see him now?  And if Seth is reluctant  to play him after seeing the bad QB play we have seen so far that tells us one of 3 things.  .  Drummond isn’t that good, Seth didn’t evaluate properly or didn’t coach him up to be a legitimate option.  All 3 are bad and they represent issues among others the new coach will need to fix.   

With all that said please tell me why I shouldn’t fill my liquor cabinet with an embarrassing amount of “libations” before watching Seth trout out leading this team again.

• Confused 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Mason Fine was Bryce Drummond’s QB tutor at Pawhuska HS, Oklahoma. 
As I recall Mason Fine received some of the same “he’ll be a very average FBS QB” critiques on GMG, too. Seems to me small HS college recruits most all get similar critiques.  In some cases they turn out to be true. (Remember #1 Texas HS recruit Milton Collins of Blooming Grove, Texas, who Fry signed for North Texas)?

Sometimes GMG is hardly the source for hitting it spot on with new HS recruits or during the search for the next UNT HFC so maybe we should be content to just let those who make the big bucks do their job?  I think Wren Baker will do just fine in the next head football coach’s search for UNT.  We just don’t know when that search will officially be.

19 minutes ago, denton_days said:

Couldn’t help but point out that Ruder was a small HS QB who was 4 stars and supposed to be unbelievable, P5 starting talent. 

Again who is deciding he is a 4 star talent?  What’s the criteria?  Dude played for a small school and a small state that rarely has 4 star talent.  UNC didn’t want him and that’s why he’s here.  Sick of all the bs being spewed by these recruiting services.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, denton_days said:

Couldn’t help but point out that Ruder was a small HS QB who was 4 stars and supposed to be unbelievable, P5 starting talent. 

Is it BS that Alabama’s roster is full of 4 and 5 stars? What if you looked up and down the rosters of the T10, you think it’s going to be full of 3 stars?

it’s a game of odds: a roster full of higher ratings gives you better odds of success than one with lower ratings.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We just don’t know when that search will officially be.

That is most worrisome part of it to me which why I posed the question.  I don’t expect a “fan friendly” hire but I do expect a timeline with the fans in mind.  Stagnation in sports program is death.  And stagnation at the bottom is worse.  With Seth at the helm and not seeing QB’s that may have the potential to be better than Aune and Ruder this program looks like worse version of stagnation at a FBS program I could imagine. Usually teams this bad the coach is in his first-second year or lost their best QB, offensive player and defensive player to injury.

6 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Again who is deciding he is a 4 star talent?  What’s the criteria?  Dude played for a small school and a small state that rarely has 4 star talent.  UNC didn’t want him and that’s why he’s here.  Sick of all the bs being spewed by these recruiting services.

And after 3 years those talent rating are beyond worthless, especially with QB’s.  Their best attributes are skill and quick good decision making.  If you are an elite athletic talent at QB in Highschool those attributes aren’t forced to come out

18 hours ago, Marty said:

Drummond and Gilmore haven't even suited out for any games this year. You'd think it would be in their best interest (especially Drummond) to suit out to experience game day atmosphere. 

If Gimore has any athletic ability at all, I don’t see why he isn’t working a second position. He is behind 3 on the depth chart plus a true freshman sounds to be ahead of him too. Kuehne saw the field that way. I’d say the same for Martin but I’ve already seen the limits of his athleticism. Ruder might even consider this option if he gets passed by Drummond or Martin on the depth chart.

Edited by Cr1028

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

And after 3 years those talent rating are beyond worthless, especially with QB’s.  Their best attributes are skill and quick good decision making. 

Their best attribute is their portal status. HS players are in the worst imaginable position now for playing