North Texas - Liberty Official Game Thread

HIRE A REAL OC, NOT YOUR OFFENSIVE LINE COACH!!!!!!!!!

Seth is so incompetent and clueless, he promoted his OL coach, who developed a solid OL in 2020, and now everything has gone to shit.

No creativity, and when there is a glimmer of it, most of the time it fails and isn’t ran properly.

The top donors need to break the friendship up and fire Littrell

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, jbchis said:

That chart is awesome.  Does that mean we are in the conference championship game?  I’m frustrated that we didn’t get any recruiting bump from the Mason Fine era and obviously he was carrying the coaches along.  Can’t believe the product on the field now is so bad and the AAC wanted us.  They are really rolling the dice on POTENTIAL.

46 minutes ago, jbchis said:

Bad coaching, lack of discipline, lack of talent… yeah that get’s you to 1-6.  I don’t know why the AAC wants this dumpster fire but we lucked out.

I do believe this team has talent.  That is the good news.  It is also the bad news because it highlights how terrible this coaching and QB play is.  Plug Jason Bean in and I think today is a win just from bigger QB running plays that were just mediocre with Aune running them today.  Even those very vanilla first down runs are probably a little longer because the defense doesn’t crash as hard and protects against the backside QB run.   Miss management of Bean and Aune is another mistake you can put at the feet of the coaching staff.   I think at this point you have to play Drummond if for nothing else to see if he can play decently under Seth’s program.  If not you really should fire Seth today and find a coach who will run a system Drummond is excited to play.   It’s great you can recruit QB’s that appear to have a lot of talent potential.  But it is pointless if you can’t coach them up, retain them on the team or coach up the team around them to carry subpar QB play.   They are 1–6 and I hope working the upgrade to the AAC in the background was the only thing stopping them from firing Seth before the bye week.  Maybe it was even a request by the AAC to limit the negative press when the our addition was announced.  Firing a coach a couple of weeks before the AAC announcement would have been a bad look.  Real college football fans understand demanding good performance is a good thing not negative.  But causal fans with no familiarity with UNT just would see it as a negative and a program that can’t do anything right.   When ironically firing him is the only “right” thing to do if you want the program to win sooner rather than later. 

Oh, and on a Drummond side note.  Yes it is great we got him.  But he is pro-style from what I read.  But it seems to me that this offense operates best when there is a legitimate running threat at QB.   If Seth is emphasizing recruiting pro-style QB’s over dual threat that is another negative coaching issue imo.  Even when we had Mason I wish his was just a slight bit faster and sturdy enough to run it around 10 times a game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, jbchis said:

That chart is awesome.  Does that mean we are in the conference championship game?  I’m frustrated that we didn’t get any recruiting bump from the Mason Fine era and obviously he was carrying the coaches along.  Can’t believe the product on the field now is so bad and the AAC wanted us.  They are really rolling the dice on POTENTIAL.

It is a great indicator how far we are performing below where we should be. We have resources and we have made Investments but are failing to see the result on the football field

• Upvote 4

Years and years ago, my friend, there was conjecture on this very board that Liberty did not deserve to be scheduled by the likes of us...because they were allegedly a diploma mill/cash box for Falwell & Sons and, therefore, not serious enough to be beaten by us.

But, now, they have hired a Hugh Freeze, and have beaten us in our brand new, 11 season old football stadium, and without even playing their starting quarterback the entire game.

Do not test the Lord, your God, nor your enemy, Hugh Freeze.

Edited by CherokeeJim
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, CherokeeJim said:

Years and years ago, my friend, there was conjecture on this very board that Liberty did not deserve to be scheduled by the likes of us...because they were allegedly a diploma mill/cash box for Falwell & Sons and, therefore, not serious enough to be beaten by us.

But, now, they have hired a Hugh Freeze, and have beaten us in our brand new, 11 season old football stadium, and without even playing their starting quarterback the entire game.

Do not test the Lord, your God, nor your enemy, Hugh Freeze.

All the criticisms of Liberty are accurate. Football ain’t life. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

After the way we threw away the win last night, I decided to not post anything on here until while I was still angry. These are my 5 thoughts from the game....

1. Our players were good enough to win that game. We went toe to toe with Liberty for most of the night and played mostly smart football, with not too many mental mistakes. Even with injuries mounting in the secondary all night, we were playing competitive ball.

2. Liberty is better than Marshall... which tells you just how unacceptable the coaching and effort was last Friday night.

3. When we had creative/unpredictable play calling, UNT was moving the ball and scoring. When we got stale and just handed the ball off, the offense went nowhere.

4. The three man defensive front still doesn't work. Our defense did a much better job of shutting down Liberty when we ran a four man front.

5. Coaching lost us the game last night. Littrell isn't good enough to win in a collapsing C-USA. Littrell has no business leading our program into the American. Littrell needs to be fired sometime between right this minute and the end of the season. We have to start building for the American.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I do believe this team has talent.  That is the good news.  It is also the bad news because it highlights how terrible this coaching and QB play is.  Plug Jason Bean in and I think today is a win just from bigger QB running plays that were just mediocre with Aune running them today.  Even those very vanilla first down runs are probably a little longer because the defense doesn’t crash as hard and protects against the backside QB run.   Miss management of Bean and Aune is another mistake you can put at the feet of the coaching staff.   I think at this point you have to play Drummond if for nothing else to see if he can play decently under Seth’s program.  If not you really should fire Seth today and find a coach who will run a system Drummond is excited to play.   It’s great you can recruit QB’s that appear to have a lot of talent potential.  But it is pointless if you can’t coach them up, retain them on the team or coach up the team around them to carry subpar QB play.   They are 1–6 and I hope working the upgrade to the AAC in the background was the only thing stopping them from firing Seth before the bye week.  Maybe it was even a request by the AAC to limit the negative press when the our addition was announced.  Firing a coach a couple of weeks before the AAC announcement would have been a bad look.  Real college football fans understand demanding good performance is a good thing not negative.  But causal fans with no familiarity with UNT just would see it as a negative and a program that can’t do anything right.   When ironically firing him is the only “right” thing to do if you want the program to win sooner rather than later. 

Oh, and on a Drummond side note.  Yes it is great we got him.  But he is pro-style from what I read.  But it seems to me that this offense operates best when there is a legitimate running threat at QB.   If Seth is emphasizing recruiting pro-style QB’s over dual threat that is another negative coaching issue imo.  Even when we had Mason I wish his was just a slight bit faster and sturdy enough to run it around 10 times a game. 

Don't agree here, they need a qb that can see the field and is accurate.  Anune can't see a damn thing,  throws into quadruple coverage. Has bad ball placement,  no touch on his passes. Maybe a legit pro style is what we need.

• Upvote 1

I feel bad for the players. I believe we had the best team on the field last night. The stats show that. We won everything except where it counts, on the scoreboard. We also lost the turnover battle. With all that, we could have beaten that team even if Malik Willis would have played the entire game. Coaching lost this for the players and that's a shame. Especially his dumb use of timeouts when we needed to score. You use a timeout late just to turn around and hand the ball off? What the hell was he thinking? He obviously was not thinking. I can take losing a game when everyone gave 110% and we just got beaten by a better team, but I hate losing when coaching is completely inept. 

• Upvote 1

After seeing the game first hand, this team and players is not as bad as the record indicates. The problem is coaching and until coaching is addressed the record will get worse and worse. It is not the players, it is the coaches not putting the players in a position to win and having them prepared. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Venson said:

I feel bad for the players. I believe we had the best team on the field last night. The stats show that. We won everything except where it counts, on the scoreboard. We also lost the turnover battle. With all that, we could have beaten that team even if Malik Willis would have played the entire game. Coaching lost this for the players and that's a shame. Especially his dumb use of timeouts when we needed to score. You use a timeout late just to turn around and hand the ball off? What the hell was he thinking? He obviously was not thinking. I can take losing a game when everyone gave 110% and we just got beaten by a better team, but I hate losing when coaching is completely inept. 

If Malik Willis had played the entire game, Liberty would have hung 50 or 60 points on us.  

Hugh Freeze took pity on us after Willis re-entered the game and they reeled off 21 points rather quickly.  

Hugh has Seth on his short list of offensive coordinators when he gets another shot at Big Conference School.

Edited by CherokeeJim
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, CherokeeJim said:

If Malik Willis had played the entire game, Liberty would have hung 50 or 60 points on us.

I highly doubt that. We mostly had him contained when he was in the game. The officials even bailed him out on what should have been a safety, but maybe he did get it past the LOS. However, we sacked him six times. He had negative yards rushing. He only got his passing game going when we were forced to play young guys due to injuries in the secondary during the first half We can agree to disagree on what would have happened had Willis played the entire game, but I didn't see them being capable of hanging 50-60 on us. I just saw a better team get completely outcoached and fail to put their foot on their throats when they had the opportunity because of poor coaching.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Venson said:

I highly doubt that. We mostly had him contained when he was in the game. The officials even bailed him out on what should have been a safety, but maybe he did get it past the LOS. However, we sacked him six times. He had negative yards rushing. He only got his passing game going when we were forced to play young guys due to injuries in the secondary during the first half We can agree to disagree on what would have happened had Willis played the entire game, but I didn't see them being capable of hanging 50-60 on us. I just saw a better team get completely outcoached and fail to put their foot on their throats when they had the opportunity because of poor coaching.

He came into the game averaging 208 yards passing and 2 TD passes per game.  He played about three quarters and threw for 215, 3 TDs, and had his highest QB Rating of the season.

Seth’s glaring mistake was giving Jason Bean, who wasn’t even a full time starter his senior year of high school, a scholarship.  It has thrown off the development of the position.

Mason Fine to Jason Bean was a mistake.  It is akin to McCarney’s fumble of the position after Hall of Famer Derek Thompson graduated.

Derek Thompson...Mason Fine.  These were not quarterbacks sitting half their senior high school seasons on the bench.

Seth must portal in real QB talent and sign QB talent.  The UNC kid also ... mistake.  He was not going to challenge for the Tar Heel starting job.  Not even close.

The time to do something is when the time is right.

Edited by CherokeeJim
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3