I Think Seth Will Be Our HC Next Year

SUMG

After today, if he should win out then I do think that he stays to the end of his contract.  However, if the losses continue then I believe he's gone.  There will be losses of season tickets and donations that will offset the enthusiasm of the new conference.  We need continued enthusiasm to get started on the right foot in the AAC.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

by what criteria do they have a top recruiting class?

We can unpack this for you, if you genuinely want to know.

Bottom line, our recruiting has taken a dramatic turn for the better the last three years.  Some of the metrics that feed into these rankings:

1) scores that estimate the athletic ability/potential
2) number of offers from other schools

....most importantly, we have seen a large uptick in signees that have multiple offers from other P5/G5 programs.  This is, IMO, one of the best things to look at.  Signing kids is not an exact science, you're trying to evaluate these 17-18 year olds and determine how they will perform in 2-4 years.  But if they have multiple P5 and G5 offers (obviously, quantity and school prestige play into this), then that means other coaches think highly of their potential too.

There are some on this board who keep track of these recruits, in addition to the other offers they had coming into Denton.  Maybe they can chime in and look at the linemen for you.

Something else to think about: if we are constantly churning out good RBs, cant you by extension acknowledge that we are recruiting and developing a good set of run blockers?

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SUMG said:

After attending last night's great AAC celly, I came away with the impression that they are gonna keep Seth around.

For one thing.....he was there. His team was down at the hotel....but Seth was at the event. I didn't see any other coaches of any sports. (maybe some were there). But if they were there....there was only one coach recognized from the speakers....and that was Seth.

Wren heaped praise on him.....by saying something like...."We wouldn't be getting into the AAC....if not for things like four bowl games in five years."  (paraphrased).

This would sure explain the Phil Bennett 2-year deal. 

Anyway....just my perception. Talked to a few other fans afterwards.....they felt the same thing. 

I guess in 6 weeks....we'll know. 

Go Mean Green!

I didn't necessarily walk away with that impression. But Seth was in attendance and he was talking with several donors so it might've been awkward if they didn't recognize. He did get applause when Hank mentioned him. Wren praised RV as well as most of us on here don't remember that tenure fondly. My point is, one can point out accomplishments and highlights of a coach without committing to them long term. What I didn't here last night was, we're looking forward to Seth winning AAC championships. That would have cause me to have ring the fire bell 🙂 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SUMG said:

After attending last night's great AAC celly, I came away with the impression that they are gonna keep Seth around.

For one thing.....he was there. His team was down at the hotel....but Seth was at the event. I didn't see any other coaches of any sports. (maybe some were there). But if they were there....there was only one coach recognized from the speakers....and that was Seth.

Wren heaped praise on him.....by saying something like...."We wouldn't be getting into the AAC....if not for things like four bowl games in five years."  (paraphrased).

Anyway....just my perception. Talked to a few other fans afterwards.....they felt the same thing. 

Go Mean Green!

Harry Potter Silence GIF

9 hours ago, SUMG said:

Go Mean Green!

Funny John - Thank god you are a comedian.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

When it was passed time for RV to go, I told the folks calling for donations, "look, write this down, don't call me again until there is a new AD, send that up the chain."  Hand-to-god, it was the very next day after he stepped down and the phone started ringing again.... I have no doubt that if SL is still at the helm in the new year, this will happen again. I knew there were some others who had done the same thing, it wasn't a big PR campaign, weren't trying to publicly embarrass anyone but it became impossible to support not only athletics but other departments and projects as it had grown (with other things certainly) to the point where you were really questioning what we as a UNT Community stood for at the time.  Things like, what are our standards going to be? What's our return on investment looking like? Are we doing our best and is this the best we can do?  I respect SL, will always appreciate the good he's done, I think he's a man of high character and integrity, who cares deeply about people and North Texas, but just like Coach O at LSU, you may get a year where expectations aren't met to fix it but after that, it's time to move on.  It's business, not personal.  He's had a good run, he's been given time to fix things, we've regressed, he got more than a fair shot to fix it, it's not an easy thing for anyone, any where, some tough breaks along the way, a play here or there, or may be costly injuries, it's the same story everywhere, and always has been, so is the ending, it's time to move on.  

I think everyone would love to have more reasons to justify him staying versus leaving, there's always adjustments when a new coach comes in (I hate the term 'rebuild' and don't use it, not fair and disrespectful to the SA's who are already there and have been there IMO), those adjustments can be frustrating and requires even more patience and faith, but patience and faith has run out on the SL era, it's neither good nor bad, its just the way it is *sings* IN THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIFEEEE.

the lion king disney GIF

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

If UNT athletics were Corp America…..the AAC news is like a merger. Wren Baker got up and basically told everyone “this merger is great but DON’T WORRY…. There are no redundancies and no ones job is in danger.”

usually that message goes out about a month before you get a call that your job is eliminated. 

I wouldn’t read too much into Wren publicly supporting Littrell. It’s what you do. He hasn’t even given him the dreaded “vote of confidence” yet. That usually precedes  a firing. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if anyone else caught the pregame show on the radio or their interview with Wren, but he said something to the effect of:

"I know the football season has not gone the way we wanted, but we hope everyone will stick with us until the end of the season, and then we'll address what changes need to be made to get back on track."

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1

Seth will be back. For money reasons only. 
$2.9 million buy out just for him. I am sure all the other coaches have some type of a buy out also. 
$4 million fee to leave CUSA. 
Isn’t there an entrance fee to AAC? 
Our share of the TV money for the AAC is prorated so we won’t be able to offset money spent for Seth to go away for several years.

We need to expand our athletic training facility and weight room. 
We won’t have the money to do everything and buy out the coaches as well as pay for a new batch of coaches (especially if we hire an upgraded coaching staff for more $$$).

Seth will coach out his contract. Then a change will be made.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

27 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Seth will be back. For money reasons only. 
$2.9 million buy out just for him. I am sure all the other coaches have some type of a buy out also. 
$4 million fee to leave CUSA. 
Isn’t there an entrance fee to AAC? 
Our share of the TV money for the AAC is prorated so we won’t be able to offset money spent for Seth to go away for several years.

We need to expand our athletic training facility and weight room. 
We won’t have the money to do everything and buy out the coaches as well as pay for a new batch of coaches (especially if we hire an upgraded coaching staff for more $$$).

Seth will coach out his contract. Then a change will be made.

Assistants don't usually have buyouts, Bennettt is the exception and would be one year.

I will be amazed if Littrell is here next year.  Expensive but Baker will find the funds

Edited by GrandGreen

I watched the event on Youtube, and nothing about the event made me think Littrell will be back next season. If Seth was in with Smat and Wren, they'd have given him a chair and let him field questions about how he planned to transition the program into the American. None of that happened.

Smat and Baker know they have to get our new coach in at the end of this season, so the guy can begin getting his players and system in place. The new coach will then have the 2022 season in C-USA to try and improve the product before we start in the American in 2023.

If by some chance Littrell does return for 2022, then we are in for another frustrating year of anger, losing, and low attendance. 

• Upvote 2