SMU and the Big 12

Lurker

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

BIG 12 Bowlsby on SMU

Bowlsby explains they wanted the 'best athletes'.  Appears that was the only criteria.   I'm not a fan of SMU but a think they should feel a little better about the fact that this was a money only process not concerned about student athletes.

I am no SMU fan, but I wonder how he can say that when they are undefeated? Is it strength of schedule?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I am no SMU fan, but I wonder how he can say that when they are undefeated? Is it strength of schedule?

I believe Bowlsby is just trying to find a polite way of saying “no” to smu. Have you ever had a date that you didn’t want to see again ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

UCF, UC, and BYU are pretty easy to use the “not a flash in the pan” argument for.  They draw big crowds and have been relevant for a while, in multiple sports.  Houston is a bit behind those schools.  They have the great basketball success up until the late 80s, but football has always been hit or miss for them. I remember watching them in the late 80s and early 90s when they had the air raid and were ranked in the top 5….they always had lots of empty seats at their home games.  There is a reason why they didn’t make the original Big 12 cut back in the 90s.  Go back just a few years ago when Herman had them really rolling.  They drew much better, but they never seem to sustain it.  It’s a fickle fan base down there.  I, also, do not trust their recent basketball success.  How long before Sampson lands in trouble again?

All that to say, Houston is a stretch, but smu is a good bit behind them.  They have rich donors that keep them afloat and occasionally really competitive, but neither ever seem able to capture the hearts of the masses, or really even their own alumni.  So, even though Bowlsby is a douche, he’s not wrong with his marketplace argument.

• Upvote 1

I know I’ve brought up SMU the last 4 decades any time I have indigestion, but maybe it’s time for us all to move on from this kind of thing?

SMU will do what’s best for SMU & I don’t think our goading them in their time of disappointment with the Big 12 thing is a healthy thing to do?

Like Smatresk said both universities have different clientele & different goals so......  I’ll try to cease & desist on the subject of SMU if the rest of you will?  I seriously promise. 😇

🦅

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

I remember watching them in the late 80s and early 90s when they had the air raid

_________

I, also, do not trust their recent basketball success.  How long before Sampson lands in trouble again?

I don't trust anyone's sports knowledge of Houston who thinks they ran the Air Raid in the 80s

___

What Sampson got in trouble for is no longer an NCAA violation

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

But to be clear, at the time it occurred it was a clear violation and willful cheating.

It used to be illegal to smoke weed in CO, so by your logic anyone who was arrested for illegally smoking weed before is likely to break a law

Edited by NTXCoog
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Realignment isn’t complete as far as the Big 12 is concerned.

The only remaining school with national cache is Kansas, due to academics and basketball.  

If KU is properly wedged into the Big Ten, the Big 12 will invite SMU.  

If KU becomes part of the Big Ten, it will be expanded by two:  KU and Notre Dame.

Hear me now, believe me later.

• Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, CherokeeJim said:

Realignment isn’t complete as far as the Big 12 is concerned.

The only remaining school with national cache is Kansas, due to academics and basketball.  

If KU is properly wedged into the Big Ten, the Big 12 will invite SMU.  

If KU becomes part of the Big Ten, it will be expanded by two:  KU and Notre Dame.

Hear me now, believe me later.

You truly believe the Big 12 would invite SMU before Memphis or Boise State? Only way SMU gets in is if the Big 12 decides to expand to 16. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 5

If SMU would just relax and unclench their collective teeth, they might realize this new slugnment is good for everyone.  Even SMU.  Travel costs aren’t going to get any lower, newspapers and TV sports only have about 2 minutes per story and fans, at least some fans, want to travel to the games without having to stay at a hotel.  

Just take a big breath and relax that jaw.