Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Southern Miss Joins the Sun Belt


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question - If the number of schools leaving ends up at 9, do they push to NOT pay exit fees claiming that CUSA is all reality no longer a conference?  

I think at the very least, with the conference dwindling like it is, everyone leaving could probably push for a greatly reduced fee. CUSA will likely remain due to the bball auto-bid, but it may end up being bball only or something and everyone scattering to the wind/going Indy for football.

I mean, even if they backfill for football with FCS/Indy teams, it doesn't make sense to give the 4-5 remaining members (new members don't get the exit fees) $27m or whatever.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they extend an invite to NMSU and Liberty. Not sure if Liberty takes it. They need to be at at lest 8 short term and then look at adding more. Maybe they add UConn and UMass for Football only? I know people keep saying add FCS schools, but do those schools want to go FBS and the additional cost?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I don't see how CUSA stays alive now.   Adding three teams that are interested is going to be tough.  Now, Liberty does not seem interested either.

I thank our lucky stars we are not one of the 5 teams that may be left without a conference.   And, going back to the Sun Belt would not have been seen as an advancement either.

It is a real shame what has happened to La Tech, WKU, MT, UTEP and FIU.   All of those schools are deserving of a decent G5 (or G4?) conference.

We are blessed today.

Wonder what LaTech now thinks of La, La Monroe, what a major miscalculation!

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I don't see how CUSA stays alive now.    It's a real shame.

I thank our lucky stars we are not one of the 5 teams that may be left without a conference.   And, going back to the Sun Belt would not have been seen as an advancement either.

It is a real shame what has happened to La Tech, WKU, MT, UTEP and FIU.   All of those schools are deserving of a decent G5 (or G4?) conference.

We are blessed today.

The only thing I will say for CUSA is that many people thought the Sun Belt would die in 2013 when UNT, FAU, FIU, WKU, and MTSU left (at that time CUSA was down to 5 teams). I think they have to have a change at commissioner and not panic and add teams. The problem is how do they address UTEP? Even if you add NMSU there is a big gap in their footprint. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Sun Belt decided to go for the jugular. Tough spot for the remaining CUSA teams. Maybe take NMSU, UCONN and UMASS football only? Then get UALR and UTA for the rest of the sports and try to convince NMSU to bring their others to get to 8?

The rumors floating around are that UMass and UConn will not leave the Atlantic 10 because of basketball.   NMSU is a definite possibility.    That would leave 2 more FCS programs that would have to move up to fill the slots.    JMU has been ready, but now committed to the Belt.   I am not sure any other FCS schools are ready.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Sun Belt decided to go for the jugular. Tough spot for the remaining CUSA teams. Maybe take NMSU, UCONN and UMASS football only? Then get UALR and UTA for the rest of the sports and try to convince NMSU to bring their others to get to 8?

Would it be best for UTEP to stay as Football only in CUSA and join NMSU in the WAC for other sports?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, akriesman said:

The rumors floating around are that UMass and UConn will not leave the Atlantic 10 because of basketball.   NMSU is a definite possibility.    That would leave 2 more FCS programs that would have to move up to fill the slots.    JMU has been ready.  But, I am not sure any others are.

I don't think you ask UMass and UConn to join in all sports, just FB

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would it be best for UTEP to stay as Football only in CUSA and join NMSU in the WAC for other sports?

Well you have to get to 8 for the other sports right? It sounds like the Newly empowered Sun Belt is telling UTA and UALR to pound sand. So there’s two. If you are down to 5 members you’ve got to find 1 more all sports even if you solve the football problem with a hodgepodge of middling independents. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, akriesman said:

The rumors floating around are that UMass and UConn will not leave the Atlantic 10 because of basketball.   NMSU is a definite possibility.    That would leave 2 more FCS programs that would have to move up to fill the slots.    JMU has been ready, but now committed to the Belt.   I am not sure any other FCS schools are ready.

ACU, Lamar, Sam Houston, SFA? Are ones that come to mind. Would help with Utep and NMS. Can they afford it? Bless Wren and Dr Smack down, we are very fortunate. GMG 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s time for La Tech to enter SBC kick arse and take names. They are more than capable of pushing little brother off the main table and would give Coastal and Appy fits! MWC needs to add UTEP for a New Mexico travel partner. Also Boise won’t be there forever better start Integrating the Miners.
 

gmg 

  • Skeptical Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

I think at the very least, with the conference dwindling like it is, everyone leaving could probably push for a greatly reduced fee. CUSA will likely remain due to the bball auto-bid, but it may end up being bball only or something and everyone scattering to the wind/going Indy for football.

I mean, even if they backfill for football with FCS/Indy teams, it doesn't make sense to give the 4-5 remaining members (new members don't get the exit fees) $27m or whatever.

I have no idea what’s in the Bi-Laws, but seems 9 exiting members could vote to waive the fees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Well you have to get to 8 for the other sports right? It sounds like the Newly empowered Sun Belt is telling UTA and UALR to pound sand. So there’s two. If you are down to 5 members you’ve got to find 1 more all sports even if you solve the football problem with a hodgepodge of middling independents. 

In his interview with Harry, Brett McMurphy said they could maintain FBS membership as a conference with 6 members, but realistically need 8. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

It’s time for La Tech to enter SBC kick arse and take names. They are more than capable of pushing little brother off the main table and would give Coastal and Appy fits! MWC needs to add UTEP for a New Mexico travel partner. Also Boise won’t be there forever better start Integrating the Miners.
 

gmg 

La Monroe is blocking them!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No, you’re thinking bylaws.   He’s talking about laws that are into both remaining & leaving schools.   Different strokes for different folks, man.

no I'm not, UNT agreed to an exit fee and can't just decide they don't want to honor that agreement because they're leaving

  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.