Southern Miss Joins the Sun Belt

El Paso Eagle

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question - If the number of schools leaving ends up at 9, do they push to NOT pay exit fees claiming that CUSA is all reality no longer a conference?  

I think at the very least, with the conference dwindling like it is, everyone leaving could probably push for a greatly reduced fee. CUSA will likely remain due to the bball auto-bid, but it may end up being bball only or something and everyone scattering to the wind/going Indy for football.

I mean, even if they backfill for football with FCS/Indy teams, it doesn't make sense to give the 4-5 remaining members (new members don't get the exit fees) $27m or whatever.

• Upvote 3

I think they extend an invite to NMSU and Liberty. Not sure if Liberty takes it. They need to be at at lest 8 short term and then look at adding more. Maybe they add UConn and UMass for Football only? I know people keep saying add FCS schools, but do those schools want to go FBS and the additional cost?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I don't see how CUSA stays alive now.   Adding three teams that are interested is going to be tough.  Now, Liberty does not seem interested either.

I thank our lucky stars we are not one of the 5 teams that may be left without a conference.   And, going back to the Sun Belt would not have been seen as an advancement either.

It is a real shame what has happened to La Tech, WKU, MT, UTEP and FIU.   All of those schools are deserving of a decent G5 (or G4?) conference.

We are blessed today.

Wonder what LaTech now thinks of La, La Monroe, what a major miscalculation!

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I don't see how CUSA stays alive now.    It's a real shame.

I thank our lucky stars we are not one of the 5 teams that may be left without a conference.   And, going back to the Sun Belt would not have been seen as an advancement either.

It is a real shame what has happened to La Tech, WKU, MT, UTEP and FIU.   All of those schools are deserving of a decent G5 (or G4?) conference.

We are blessed today.

The only thing I will say for CUSA is that many people thought the Sun Belt would die in 2013 when UNT, FAU, FIU, WKU, and MTSU left (at that time CUSA was down to 5 teams). I think they have to have a change at commissioner and not panic and add teams. The problem is how do they address UTEP? Even if you add NMSU there is a big gap in their footprint. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Sun Belt decided to go for the jugular. Tough spot for the remaining CUSA teams. Maybe take NMSU, UCONN and UMASS football only? Then get UALR and UTA for the rest of the sports and try to convince NMSU to bring their others to get to 8?

The rumors floating around are that UMass and UConn will not leave the Atlantic 10 because of basketball.   NMSU is a definite possibility.    That would leave 2 more FCS programs that would have to move up to fill the slots.    JMU has been ready, but now committed to the Belt.   I am not sure any other FCS schools are ready.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Sun Belt decided to go for the jugular. Tough spot for the remaining CUSA teams. Maybe take NMSU, UCONN and UMASS football only? Then get UALR and UTA for the rest of the sports and try to convince NMSU to bring their others to get to 8?

Would it be best for UTEP to stay as Football only in CUSA and join NMSU in the WAC for other sports?

• Upvote 1

Just now, akriesman said:

The rumors floating around are that UMass and UConn will not leave the Atlantic 10 because of basketball.   NMSU is a definite possibility.    That would leave 2 more FCS programs that would have to move up to fill the slots.    JMU has been ready.  But, I am not sure any others are.

I don't think you ask UMass and UConn to join in all sports, just FB

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would it be best for UTEP to stay as Football only in CUSA and join NMSU in the WAC for other sports?

Well you have to get to 8 for the other sports right? It sounds like the Newly empowered Sun Belt is telling UTA and UALR to pound sand. So there’s two. If you are down to 5 members you’ve got to find 1 more all sports even if you solve the football problem with a hodgepodge of middling independents. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, akriesman said:

The rumors floating around are that UMass and UConn will not leave the Atlantic 10 because of basketball.   NMSU is a definite possibility.    That would leave 2 more FCS programs that would have to move up to fill the slots.    JMU has been ready, but now committed to the Belt.   I am not sure any other FCS schools are ready.

ACU, Lamar, Sam Houston, SFA? Are ones that come to mind. Would help with Utep and NMS. Can they afford it? Bless Wren and Dr Smack down, we are very fortunate. GMG 

• Upvote 2

It’s time for La Tech to enter SBC kick arse and take names. They are more than capable of pushing little brother off the main table and would give Coastal and Appy fits! MWC needs to add UTEP for a New Mexico travel partner. Also Boise won’t be there forever better start Integrating the Miners.

gmg 

• Skeptical Eagle 2

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

I think at the very least, with the conference dwindling like it is, everyone leaving could probably push for a greatly reduced fee. CUSA will likely remain due to the bball auto-bid, but it may end up being bball only or something and everyone scattering to the wind/going Indy for football.

I mean, even if they backfill for football with FCS/Indy teams, it doesn't make sense to give the 4-5 remaining members (new members don't get the exit fees) $27m or whatever.

I have no idea what’s in the Bi-Laws, but seems 9 exiting members could vote to waive the fees. 

48 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Well you have to get to 8 for the other sports right? It sounds like the Newly empowered Sun Belt is telling UTA and UALR to pound sand. So there’s two. If you are down to 5 members you’ve got to find 1 more all sports even if you solve the football problem with a hodgepodge of middling independents. 

In his interview with Harry, Brett McMurphy said they could maintain FBS membership as a conference with 6 members, but realistically need 8. 

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

It’s time for La Tech to enter SBC kick arse and take names. They are more than capable of pushing little brother off the main table and would give Coastal and Appy fits! MWC needs to add UTEP for a New Mexico travel partner. Also Boise won’t be there forever better start Integrating the Miners.

gmg 

La Monroe is blocking them!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No, you’re thinking bylaws.   He’s talking about laws that are into both remaining & leaving schools.   Different strokes for different folks, man.

no I'm not, UNT agreed to an exit fee and can't just decide they don't want to honor that agreement because they're leaving

• Oh Boy! 1