Sunbelt adding 4 new teams (3 from CUSA)

bdan2002

At issue is an impending decision by Southern Miss, Marshall and Old Dominion over whether to join the Sun Belt Conference. Sources tell CBS Sports that the three Conference USA schools, along with James Madison of the FCS, could be invited to join the Sun Belt as early as next week. CBS Sports previously learned all four have been in the process of choosing between the two conferences.

There has been contact between C-USA and McNeese State from the Southland Conference and Sam Houston of the WAC, sources told CBS Sports. Like James Madison, those are FCS schools that would require an NCAA-mandated multi-year transition process to FBS.

The preference for C-USA is to add FBS members with schools such as independents New Mexico State, UConn and UMass also being mentioned. CBS Sports previously reported independent Liberty is in the mix for either C-USA or Sun Belt membership. Given the developments of this past week, it would likely prefer the Sun Belt at this time as the school assesses its options. That is ... unless the schools mentioned decide to remain with/join C-USA.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/conference-usa-future-in-doubt-with-four-teams-expected-to-join-sun-belt-next-week/

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

If I were La Tech I’d go Indy’.  
They have the balls to do it & to be successful doing it.  

If this indeed goes don like this, then there are 5 schools left and 27 million in exit fees to spread out among them. You wait a few years to annouce you go indy to at least get your piece of the pie.

Also this does sound like it is still not quite a done deal and as if C-USA is still trying to fight this. You know WKU will be like: what about our rivalry with Marshall. Lets bring in JMU (and maybe Liberty) and have eastern conference in C-USA force UTEP to go football only.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

How sad.    What once was a great conference is on life support, and may have the plug pulled if those 3 bail.

The presidents of the C-USA schools that remain have no one to blame but themselves for 2 reasons:
1.  They did not take advantage of being in this latest version of C-USA to bolster athletics support.
2. They chose, and buoyed, one of the worst conference commissioners NCAA D-1 has ever seen.

Come on C-USA!    I'm pulling for you!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How sad.    What once was a great conference is on life support, and may have the plug pulled if those 3 bail.

The presidents of the C-USA schools that remain have no one to blame but themselves for 2 reasons:
1.  They did not take advantage of being in this latest version of C-USA to bolster athletics support.
2. They chose, and buoyed, one of the worst conference commissioners NCAA D-1 has ever seen.

Come on C-USA!    I'm pulling for you!

#2 is ultimately the downfall. All in the name of inclusitivity. Shame. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, techdawg88 said:

then how would we collect all those exit fees? that's going to be too much money to leave on the table

Wow, if that's you hope for moving forward then good luck to you. Not so sure you will see all of these exit fee. CUSA will be down to 5 teams I think there will still be exit fees but not what your hoping for.

• Upvote 1

I thought for sure that CUSA would hang on.  They have bowl contracts and an NCAA auto-bid.  But, man! every one is leaving.

Also, after all those years of praising LT for doing so much with so little, it's almost as if they wore that with a badge of honor and chose to sit on their hands and do nothing.  I wonder if their facilities/budget factored into what is happening to them.  I'm thinking most likely, but what do I know?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I thought for sure that CUSA would hang on.  They have bowl contracts and an NCAA auto-bid.  But, man! every one is leaving.

Also, after all those years of praising LT for doing so much with so little, it's almost as if they wore that with a badge of honor and chose to sit on their hands and do nothing.  I wonder if their facilities/budget factored into what is happening to them.  I'm thinking most likely, but what do I know?

what's wrong with our facilities?  

• Haha 1