New sports

EAGLE83

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't think we have to add a sport.  I believe we have enough numbers to add baseball alone.  

I've heard this before too.   Like there's some kind of caveat for Title IX, but RV kept every scholarship matched 100% male-female.   I'm not real sure about that though.

Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships, so even if we had to add another sport for the ladies, it wouldn't require too many scholarships.

• RV 2

10 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't think we have to add a sport.  I believe we have enough numbers to add baseball alone.  

I think this is technically true as UNT has stayed well-ahead of the Title XI requirement.  However, I would expect we would add a women's sport with any new men's support to continue being well ahead of the requirement.

UNT already has a women's Lacrosse club team that travels ... would be pretty easy to elevate that team to conference play, and the AAC has Lacrosse as a conference sport.

• Upvote 2

The NCAA unless recently, has never penalized a school for non-compliance with T9.

Almost all co-ed schools are in non-compliance with T9.  Title 9 mandates that the division of athletic scholarships be given on the ratio prevalent in the student body.   

Overall, women outnumber men in college by 60% to 40%.  There are 17% more women than men in NT undergraduate population. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Thanks 1

I heard a talk from the AD at TWU this week.  Did you know they have the only collegiate gymnastics team in Texas ?  They compete with the likes of Oklahoma and UCLA and Florida.  They are Division 2 and only have 6 scholarships.  D 1 requires 12 scholarships.  12 !  There is your matching baseball scholarships.  TWU also is starting an Artistic Swimming (formerly called synchronized swimming) and women’s wrestling.  Lots of sports.  Low cost to activate.

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Hell yeah.. why not? Have you seen what some of these kids make today playing video games? It’s absurd. 

Don't knock it tell you've seen it. Watch some of the korean players on starcraft doing Taps per minute rotations and its an exceptionally honed skill.

Yeah its not a muscle or sweat sport, but it takes 8+ hours a day and a pretty strong intellect to keep up with. I see esports easily joining physical sports soon given the level and depth of commitment.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Don't knock it tell you've seen it. Watch some of the korean players on starcraft doing Taps per minute rotations and its an exceptionally honed skill.

Yeah its not a muscle or sweat sport, but it takes 8+ hours a day and a pretty strong intellect to keep up with. I see esports easily joining physical sports soon given the level and depth of commitment.

I’ve watch a few pro events and these kids are nuts. So damn good at what they do. And pre-Covid, selling out huge in-person events. There’s absolutely a future for esports in collegiate athletics whether people want to admit it or not. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

read somewhere recently that these kids are getting burnt out in their early twenties.  If I can find it, I'll link it.

11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Women’s Lacrosse would be fun. Not even being sarcastic. 

At the risk of supporting a "gateway sport", our former soccer field would make an excellent lacrosse facility.

And please don't banish me from Fansville for saying it, but the sport can be fun for spectators.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, techdawg88 said:

I've always thought golf is the cheapest sport; assuming you have a course

Well we already have women’s golf and they are pretty good. Won the barstool tournament at the end of last year when regionals was canceled. 

This may not be a fan favorite but what about men’s soccer? We already have the field, it’s cheap in terms of what the players would need, and we would also have SMU fielding a team down the road. The DFW metroplex is a very talent rich area. My personal belief is that soccer will surpass baseball as a favorite sport in the US in the near future.

I know college baseball is hot right now, but it feels like baseball as a whole, is on the decline.

Lacrosse would be a relatively cheap sport with big growth potential. DFW is starting to have a lot of good youth talent, and blue blood programs from the Northeast are picking a few off every year. Having the first D1 varsity lacrosse program in Texas would be big. Men’s/Women’s can play on soccer or football fields so no new facilities needed.

And no, I’m not biased. 

8D63FCD2-B214-48E0-8A1C-DA809C2CE4DB.jpeg.c494cd7bc21d1c64d29445f45e26aa4a.jpeg

Edited by meangreenlax
  • Upvote 2