What's next for C-USA

keith

and UNT President Neal Smatresk?  Does he need to step down or can he possibly wear two hats?  Seems like too much of a conflict of interest to me for him to serve in his role next year.  What's C-USA's next move?  I can't believe they were hanging everything on "the letter" without a back-up plan...but given the ineptitude of the last few years, maybe that's not so hard to believe.  

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

CUSA is in deep do -do. Their " go to" plan is to convince James Madison to move up and join them, which might keep ODU and Marshall moving to the SBC along with So. Miss. If James Madison decides to move up but join the SBC, then ODU and Marshall will probably go with them. This would leave CUSA with UTEP, La. Tech, FIU, W.K., and MTSU. There has been some " talk" of perhaps the MAC jumping in and grabbing W.K. and MTSU , but they are a little out of the MAC's existing footprint and their value to the conference is undetermined. Basically CUSA is road kill.

7 minutes ago, untbowler said:

CUSA can rot on the vine due to their own inept leadership. I mean even Craig Helwig was not as bad as Judge Judy. 

CUSA can piss off. 

Yeah, no love-lost for CUSA leadership for sure - they are feeling the penalty for passive leadership (AAC leadership is exactly the opposite - aggressive and proactive).

I do feel badly though for our recent brethren La Tech and UTEP - really bad situation for them.

If CUSA grows some balls, they could make an aggressive move to grab NMSU and James Madison (as an FCS-to-FBS move), giving them 10 football teams (same number as the Sun Belt today).

• Upvote 1