So does this now mean baseball?

greengal

Sorry to be the debbie downer here, but I think this makes baseball less likely in the short term, not more likely. The president just had to find what is likely double digit millions for athletics in order to pay entrance and exit fees. Given the unequal revenue sharing, the payoff will not be big enough to offset that for at least a few years, and more investment will also have to be made to the budget elsewhere in order to keep up with the new conference Jones's. I feel that will -if anything -lower the administrations appetite to spring for a new sport.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Isn't the new basketball/volleyball arena ahead of baseball in the facilities master plan?

Who knows at this point, but I would rather have that than baseball right now. I love the Pit, but 5-6 years down the line, I think a new arena is needed

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

The one school that I know of in our new conference that does NOT play baseball is SMU.  Adding baseball to our list of sports would provide some separation between us and them.  I think we need to demonstrate to the AAC how much we belong in this new league and give as few reasons as possible for someone to bolt.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Sorry to be the debbie downer here, but I think this makes baseball less likely in the short term, not more likely. The president just had to find what is likely double digit millions for athletics in order to pay entrance and exit fees. Given the unequal revenue sharing, the payoff will not be big enough to offset that for at least a few years, and more investment will also have to be made to the budget elsewhere in order to keep up with the new conference Jones's. I feel that will -if anything -lower the administrations appetite to spring for a new sport.

I doubt it, your scenario is unlikely, and money is not a huge problem. They finance these things over many years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

The most glaring weakness that stands out even more now is the weight room, rehab and training area. We have 5,000sq ft shared by all teams!  Add a training facility on the backside of the IPF. Now!

This. We need to take advantage of this move to bring in better athletes. We need to improve these areas and upgrade the locker rooms. If we want to play with the big boys we need the big boy toys!

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I believe that upgrade is starting soon right?

Not that I know of. This was part of the big expansion involving the AD , Coaches, Team offices with moving the scoreboard. We are very very fortunate to have land. I think they need to move on this now. We could do a state of the art facility on the backside of the IPF, for football only. This needs to be weight training, conditioning, rehab, and trainers offices. Leave the existing 5,000 sq ft facility for all other sports. To me this should be the NUMBER 1 facility upgrade and do it now!!

• Upvote 1

Idk if anyone else caught this but during that press conference with Neal and Wren, Wren mentioned that they had some evaluating to do of their athletic department prior to the AAC move. This was talked about while discussing facilities so we may see a mad dash to get some things completed sooner rather than later. 

i hope this means things like the athletic center expansion and the planned tailgate area will be expedited. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 3

I know this has been asked before at some point.   But, what kind of impact would Title IX have on Baseball for us.   Would we have to add another Woman's sport or remove another men's sport ?

When I graduated in '86, I still remember there being men's soccer at NT 😞

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Idk if anyone else caught this but during that press conference with Neal and Wren, Wren mentioned that they had some evaluating to do of their athletic department prior to the AAC move. This was talked about while discussing facilities so we may see a mad dash to get some things completed sooner rather than later. 

i hope this means things like the athletic center expansion and the planned tailgate area will be expedited. 

On the other hand, our facilities are clearly the best of the 6 schools being added to the AAC.   Fortunately for us, we have less work than the other 5 and maybe some of the current AAC schools.    So, it should be easier to address our few weaknesses in that area.

The most glaring issue right now is getting the football team turned around an at least headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

According to my visit to the AAC Baseball site, of the schools remaining after considering those that left for the BIG 12, there are only 5.  Add in the new AAC schools from  CUSA, 5, we get 10.  AAC before the split only had 8 baseball teams.  NT, if we HAD a baseball team, would bring the total to 11.  We would make a big contribution to the AAC Baseball landscape immediately. 

I'd like to see baseball before any other large project.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I'd like to see baseball before any other large project.  

I think we've been given a golden opportunity to take basketball to the next level. The combination of our coach, a new arena, and competing against national powers like Memphis and Wichita State could make this a program defining moment. 

I've always wanted baseball as well, but it wouldn't have the same impact on our athletics as having a top 25 basketball team would. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1