AAC Basketball team evaluation from a hoops perspective

Coach Andy Mac

Its an overly negative view on things, but he is not totally wrong to evaluate new conference members primarily by their out of conference wins, because that is exactly what decides the standing of the conference come committee decision time. If everybody is like NT under Mac, i.e. hitting the stride only once conference play hits, the conference will look bad and beating conference opponents starts looking meaningless to the comittee because nobody has marquee wins.

That said last seasons NCAA tournament win oughta be counted as some sort of non-conference win of quite high importance.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

Side note: I find it interesting that if you look at our 2017-2018 schedule on MGS.com, there isn't any up-front clear indication of our CBI success.  You have to click the score links or the expansion button. If you don't, it just looks like a continuation of our regular season with no postseason labels.

Makes me wonder if this guy pulled up our last 5 years or so, and didn't learn anything about the CBI run.

• Upvote 2

This guy apparently didn't do much homework before spouting off his opinions.

Assuming Wichita State is a premier basketball program much higher than poor ole CUSA schools joining the league is a shaky premise. 

May be true or not, but I doubt very much that Wichita State can maintain that lead. 

Wichita, Kansas is a tough place to recruit to, and I can see them going steadily downhill against better recruiting schools. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:51 PM, GrandGreen said:

This guy apparently didn't do much homework before spouting off his opinions.

Assuming Wichita State is a premier basketball program much higher than poor ole CUSA schools joining the league is a shaky premise. 

May be true or not, but I doubt very much that Wichita State can maintain that lead. 

Wichita, Kansas is a tough place to recruit to, and I can see them going steadily downhill against better recruiting schools. 

Maybe, but they have been a strong mid-major program for years.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:42 PM, MrAlien said:

I would take a win in the NCAA tournament over a meaningful OOC win any year....

and after listening to that guy, I would love to see UNT win at Wichita st. this year!!!

is a win in the ncaa tournament not an "OOC" win?  I mean to me it's a huge OOC win, which I think is your point.  Parcell's always said, "you have to make it to the "tournament", then it's anybody's to win...."  I feel like they got beat by Drake in the NCAA tourney last year......

• Upvote 1