I Want an SMU-UNT Rivalry Trophy

UNTflyer

On 10/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, Cougar King said:

I don't understand the obsession/fascination with SMU. Is UNT really that starved for an in-state rival? Let alone one that doesn't even care about them.

I can assure you that we won't miss SMU after we leave the he AAC.

Yes, we really don't have a natural rival so SMU is it. Problem is that it takes two programs to create one and so far we are dancing alone. Its like trying to date a girl who doesn't even care if you exist.

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The thing about calling it the "Safeway Bowl" or having a shopping cart trophy, etc...   is that it's entirely one-sided (NT-centric).   
Coach Simon was challenging SMU to play us & said we'd play them in a Safeway parking lot.  A challenge that went unrequited.  
So, a gold-plated shopping cart trophy would mean a lot to us as NT fans, but wouldn't really mean the same thing to SMU fans.     Gotta find something more neutral, or something we both have in common.
But yeah, we need one.
Then, we need to force a rivalry with TCU, and have a trophy with them too.   
Ideally, the school holding both trophies would be the king of DFW.

OK, so we put caviar and Champaign in it then they will feel at home 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, wardly said:

Yes, we really don't have a natural rival so SMU is it. Problem is that it takes two programs to create one and so far we are dancing alone. Its like trying to date a girl who doesn't even care if you exist.

Well said. I had hopes that we would develop a strong rivalry with LaTech, but recent events have pretty much taken that away. So, it looks like we will be stuck with UTSA. 

However, it would be cool if someone could create a CGI video message using Hayden Fry's face over Randy Quaids' in this utube clip,  and have him deliver this message on the Apogee Video board as an intro to the team coming out on the field.

"Hello Boys! Remember me? I helped create this Mean Green monster AND "I'm BAAAACK"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Randy+Quaid+in+Independence+day..."Hello+Boys"+youtube+clip&refig=1ca8d1f8108f4ff29d2f8d596eb9178b&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dRandy%2bQuaid%2bin%2bIndependence%2bday...%22Hello%2bBoys%22%2byoutube%2bclip%26form%3dANNTH1%26refig%3d1ca8d1f8108f4ff29d2f8d596eb9178b&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=EFC635229609B5C169E4EFC635229609B5C169E4&FORM=WRVORC