Fort Worth - Home of the AAC Basketball Tournament

greenminer

I know everyone likes to dunk on CUSA cause of the curtain, but the Star is a great tournament setup. Easy access, great parking, quality hotels, good restaurants/bars/shopping, outdoor fan fest on the football field, and a state of the art facility. It’s one of the things the conference has done right - no matter how much certain eastern members of the league bitch.

That’s said, the AAC’s Tournament at Dickey’s Arena in Ft. Worth is even better. Very excited about this.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

I know everyone likes to dunk on CUSA cause of the curtain, but the Star is a great tournament setup. Easy access, great parking, quality hotels, good restaurants/bars/shopping, outdoor fan fest on the football field, and a state of the art facility. It’s one of the things the conference has done right - no matter how much certain eastern members of the league bitch.

That’s said, the AAC’s Tournament at Dickey’s Arena in Ft. Worth is even better. Very excited about this.

Everything you state is correct except the venue/set-up for the games just looked small time.

The AAC tournament will be a massive improvement.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Everything you state is correct except the venue/set-up for the games just looked small time.

The AAC tournament will be a massive improvement.

And having family in or near Cowtown I am glad that we can have another reason to visit and spend time there.  UNT has a fair amount of alumni in Ft. Worth as I understand it.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, I Always Mean Green said:

But FW is a much farther drive than Frisco!!!! 

Much closer for everyone not living in the Dallas exurbs.

I've worked with Dickies Arena quite a bit, and seen nearly every square inch of the facility before they opened a couple years ago. It's a top notch venue in every way imaginable. I'm glad Aresco confirmed a long term deal as it is easily the best G5 venue, and better than a few of the P5s as well.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I haven't really spent any time in ft worth, if I take the train from Dallas is there a station near the arena? 

The T&P Station - near Sundance Square - is probably the closest.  I'm not very familiar with FW public transit.  Google Maps suggests a bus can take you from the T&P Station to Dickey's in about 30 minutes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

The T&P Station - near Sundance Square - is probably the closest.  I'm not very familiar with FW public transit.  Google Maps suggests a bus can take you from the T&P Station to Dickey's in about 30 minutes.

30 min bus ride after a 45 min train ride...might as well uber from Dallas

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I haven't really spent any time in ft worth, if I take the train from Dallas is there a station near the arena? 

You need to.  Ft. Worth is a great town.  The Dickies arena is not near downtown though as it is located in the "Cultural District" near the museums and Will Rogers Auditorium west of downtown.  By car, it is a short drive but the train and a bus ride will take a little longer.

• Upvote 3

On 10/27/2021 at 9:41 AM, UNTLifer said:

You need to.  Ft. Worth is a great town.  The Dickies arena is not near downtown though as it is located in the "Cultural District" near the museums and Will Rogers Auditorium west of downtown.  By car, it is a short drive but the train and a bus ride will take a little longer.

It's in the same area as UNT Health Science Center where you can pick up a tee shirt saying " TCU School of Medicine at UNT Health Science Center. TCU is on the front, which is purple, and UNT on the back, which is green. Their mascot is a yet to be named purple flying frog with green wings.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1