Just a little perspective

emmitt01

@emmitt01Great points. Money might buy SMU on the field success but it seems that it cannot buy fan support. If UNT was in the same position record wise the stadium would be sold out. Tired of hearing them on one side say "well we only have 6K students" and then brag about how they are Dallas' team. Hopefully joining the AAC will give us a ratings boot and I think that scares the hell out of many in pony land. Not doubting that SMU is a fine school but hopefully when some of the recruits/transfers start having another option in the Dallas area, where if they did not play football they would still be welcomed it will help (they can use their sales pitch of making connections with the Dallas elite all they want, but if those same players don't star on the field there will not be any "connections" after they finish at SMU). And yes, I do think some of the old money at SMU will do everything they can toy buy players and buy their way into the Big 12. One positive to think about that is they (B12 schools) feel the same way about SMU as they feel about us. This about, the Big 12 has expanded 2 times and both times SMU has not been invited.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I know that everyone is excited about the move to the American Athletic Conference, as well we all should be.  It’s an upgrade from where we are now.  But I keep seeing people who are hesitant to get excited because we just might lose SMU as a conference mate at some point.  It’s one thing if they have a delusions of grandeur, it’s yet another if we share it and are actually afraid of losing a conference mate that isn’t even that important in the grand scheme of things.

SMU is currently undefeated, having the best season they have had in the last two decades, and are ranked #21 hosting a team from New Orleans tonight in Tulane.  A quick check of StubHub shows that you can sit on the 35 yard line about four rows up for $20 a ticket.  I want you to imagine for a moment if North Texas was undefeated and currently ranked #21 hosting a team that is a regional rival; do you think the ticket availability would look the same?  

Why in the hell would we be worried about the Big XII or someone else snatching up “Dallas’ team” when it appears Dallas never got the memo to care?   If they stay, great and it will be a fun rivalry.   If they go, let’s not pretend we’re losing something special.  

This is amazing. 100% agree

It’s spot on…

SMU remains, to me, a school that uses its resources well. But they cannot make Dallas-ites care for them. There’s too many other choices and teams to follow/adopt that are much bigger than SMU. It’s one of TCUs gigantic advantage they have over SMU and us. Fort Worth looks at them as their team, so they get better support and that translated into them making their way upward. SMU doesn’t have that in Dallas and we sure as hell don’t have that in Denton, where too many people openly loathe the existence of our program and act like Denton High Schools are the best thing ever.

I think that for us, we just need to see someone get here that gets our quirkiness. I still think that getting a coach from somewhere with much less resources and facilities will do well here. It’s the only way we haven’t tried yet. High school coach? Done that twice. Coordinators? Done that a few times. Previous Head Coach at a P5? Done that and it got us where we are now. 

I like the idea of a Skip Holtz or Keeler at SHSU or even Carthel at SFA. Someone who has won at a place with much less than what UNT offers. And see if that might be the way to finally win here. 

Or pray that TCU does something stupid and let’s Gary Patterson go, thus making him our next Hayden Fry hire up I-35W.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I always come back to that when SMU fans start talking about their Big 12 dreams. I just find it incredibly hard to imagine a school that clearly inflates its attendance numbers and still struggles to break 20K would have much viability in the Big 12.

That's why the state schools left them behind when the SWC broke apart. Baylor too, if it hadn't been for Ann Richards. SMU still lives and dreams they are still in the forty's and still relevant.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I always come back to that when SMU fans start talking about their Big 12 dreams. I just find it incredibly hard to imagine a school that clearly inflates its attendance numbers and still struggles to break 20K would have much viability in the Big 12.

Yes, that's always confused me about the SMU-to-P5 tale.  The only thing SMU has going for it was the fact they were in the SWC decades ago.  The big schools blew apart that conference and haven't looked back.  Maybe now that SMU can legally pay players they can revert to a powerhouse, but here's some perspective:  I'm in my 50s, and SMU hasn't been a power since my high school days.  They bring nothing more to the table than any other mid-major G5 team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I know that everyone is excited about the move to the American Athletic Conference, as well we all should be.  It’s an upgrade from where we are now.  But I keep seeing people who are hesitant to get excited because we just might lose SMU as a conference mate at some point.  It’s one thing if they have a delusions of grandeur, it’s yet another if we share it and are actually afraid of losing a conference mate that isn’t even that important in the grand scheme of things.

SMU is currently undefeated, having the best season they have had in the last two decades, and are ranked #21 hosting a team from New Orleans tonight in Tulane.  A quick check of StubHub shows that you can sit on the 35 yard line about four rows up for $20 a ticket.  I want you to imagine for a moment if North Texas was undefeated and currently ranked #21 hosting a team that is a regional rival; do you think the ticket availability would look the same?  

Why in the hell would we be worried about the Big XII or someone else snatching up “Dallas’ team” when it appears Dallas never got the memo to care?   If they stay, great and it will be a fun rivalry.   If they go, let’s not pretend we’re losing something special.  

AMEN

I don’t know why anyone here gives a sh$t about SMU or why they are even being discussed unless discussing dead hookers. Their own fans don’t care. They bring like 100 people to Denton. It’s sad. So many better universities in this conference that will be fun to watch play. Tulane and me partying down there? Come on…

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Valid Point Chief 

Looking at the stands, that place appears more crowded than a few nights ago at Apogee — although it’s still rather empty. Granted they’re having success this season so more folks will be in attendance.  And for once the B12 will have twelve members, if I’m not mistaken.  The real question is can the Mean Green turn things around soon as Vito pointed out? 

C7F002C6-8315-4B52-B80E-3A944AF8E228.jpeg

Edited by ChiefTenBeers2015
Add photo

10 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Looking at the stands, that place appears more crowded than a few nights ago at Apogee — although it’s still rather empty. Granted they’re having success this season so more folks will be in attendance.  And for once the B12 will have twelve members, if I’m not mistaken.  The real question is can the Mean Green turn things around soon as Vito pointed out? 

C7F002C6-8315-4B52-B80E-3A944AF8E228.jpeg

This is a very misleading angle to view a crowd from. 

• Upvote 2

I majored in the social sciences not RTVF or whatever it was so I’ll give you that - no little ticket boys here. Called a picture of a picture, if you will.  It’s an exciting game though - Tulane has heart, although the clock is now they’re biggest obstacle in the contest.