One of the Big Benefits of Being Part of the AAC

MeanGreenGlory

3 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

It's an exciting day at North Texas. A huge "thank you" and "congratulations" go to Neil, Wren, and their teams for making this happen. 

There are many benefits to being part of the AAC. However, one of the bigger ones that I don't think is highlighted enough is being in a conference with a proactive commissioner at the helm who understands PR and media.

Over the years, Aresco has demonstrated that he understands PR and media better than most NCAA conference commissioners. His talking points usually get attention, are always on point, and continually position member schools from areas of strength.

As an example, the AAC just released this six minute video with Aresco. If you watch this video closely, the host and commissioner aren't having a light-hearted "welcome to the party" conversation. Instead, they're strategically and concisely hitting key talking points. They didn't create this video to make an announcement—they made it to help guide and craft the narrative of other reporters, media outlets, and fans. That is something we never had in the Sun Belt or CUSA, and it's something that can be extremely powerful over time.

Getting attention has always been a struggle for North Texas—even when we've had winning season. Aresco and his team will help change that, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

Now we need to win to add fuel to the fire.

Go Mean Green.

If this do not make you feel good them PLEASE seek immediate medical attention!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

It's an exciting day at North Texas. A huge "thank you" and "congratulations" go to Neil, Wren, and their teams for making this happen. 

There are many benefits to being part of the AAC. However, one of the bigger ones that I don't think is highlighted enough is being in a conference with a proactive commissioner at the helm who understands PR and media.

Over the years, Aresco has demonstrated that he understands PR and media better than most NCAA conference commissioners. His talking points usually get attention, are always on point, and continually position member schools from areas of strength.

As an example, the AAC just released this six minute video with Aresco. If you watch this video closely, the host and commissioner aren't having a light-hearted "welcome to the party" conversation. Instead, they're strategically and concisely hitting key talking points. They didn't create this video to make an announcement—they made it to help guide and craft the narrative of other reporters, media outlets, and fans. That is something we never had in the Sun Belt or CUSA, and it's something that can be extremely powerful over time.

Getting attention has always been a struggle for North Texas—even when we've had winning season. Aresco and his team will help change that, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

Now we need to win to add fuel to the fire.

Go Mean Green.

@Harry and mods - Please link this video at the top so everyone can see it

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I have been ragging about Judy constantly on this board.    A few people pointed out that she was handed a bad situation at the beginning.    That may be true.   But, she has done nothing to really try and rectify it.   She is far too passive IMO.   I may not know the inner workings of being a commissioner.  But, I do know that I heard nothing from our current (soon to be former) commissioner and that is not good a good thing.

On the other hand, Aresco is a positive thinking commissioner that gets things done.    His name is always in the media, especially for a G5 conference.    People laughed at him (including myself) when he tried to brand the AAC as a P6 conference.     But, that is the kind of forward thinking that can take you places.   And, it will rub off the the new AAC schools like ours.

Is this the most important day in NT sports history ?    It may turn out to be.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, akriesman said:

On the other hand, Aresco is a positive thinking commissioner that gets things done.    His name is always in the media, especially for a G5 conference.    People laughed at him (including myself) when he tried to brand the AAC as a P6 conference.     But, that is the kind of forward thinking that can take you places.   And, it will rub off the the new AAC schools like ours.

Exactly.

Aresco is extremely good at establishing a vision, creating talking points that strongly support the vision, and then flooding the air waves with those talking points.

Even if the P6 thing (as an example) isn't 100% true in reality yet, the media talks about the campaign and Aresco's quotes which naturally positions the AAC as "the next league up."

This quick example shows that these types of campaigns and talking points have an impact, and over time, they shape public opinion and key decisions.

I'm excited to see how North Texas can thrive with this new framing supporting the brand.

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

the P6 moniker is laughable.  I hate it.

...and it is the perfect sports media troll job.  Want viewership? Get people riled up.  It does that.

Bingo.

The more you get the talking heads to discuss the AAC, the more you prevent them from talking about the MWC, CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt.

The increased air time leads to increased brand awareness which improves perceived conference strength.

Aresco plays the game like a pro, and I'm excited we're on his team now. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

the P6 moniker is laughable.  I hate it.

...and it is the perfect sports media troll job.  Want viewership? Get people riled up.  It does that.

Yep.   How does the saying go ?   "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

This is 100% true in the days of social media.

Edited by akriesman