Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Do ya'll realize...what we could be headed for?


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If we get the right guy in here next season....hit a few transfers....with the talent we already have.

We could have a huge turn around next season. We could win 9-10 games...our last season in CUSA. That's not crazy. And then we hit the AAC with our new HC and build off that?

This could be what we've been waiting for. Why couldn't it? The hard work is done. The buildings are built. The fans want to come.

If we get the right guy. That's all  we need.

Wren....get us our guy and we will see this Giant wake up. We need 10 big things to happen to reach our potential....and we have 9 of them. Just need that 1.

We need to do this, who knows what the next opportunity is.  UNT is so good at shooting itself in the foot. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If we get the right guy in here next season....hit a few transfers....with the talent we already have.

We could have a huge turn around next season. We could win 9-10 games...our last season in CUSA. That's not crazy. And then we hit the AAC with our new HC and build off that?

This could be what we've been waiting for. Why couldn't it? The hard work is done. The buildings are built. The fans want to come.

If we get the right guy. That's all  we need.

Wren....get us our guy and we will see this Giant wake up. We need 10 big things to happen to reach our potential....and we have 9 of them. Just need that 1.

image.png.1ef399f14b1adf79c316a0bc79b9082e.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, I Always Mean Green said:

Well we need to do something. Most reviews and critics are saying we have no business joining the AAC and that the move to bring us in hurts the conference. We are littrelly the laughing stock of everything D1 football these days. Its embarrassing. 

Please show all these reviews and critic listing. Links would be good.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/news/aac-officially-adds-six-schools-charlotte-fau-north-texas-rice-uab-utsa/vevlDy3iFjKQ/

Here's a great one. Most of the comments regarding UNT here are not great. 

Ex: "North Texas, Rice, and UAB are good fits institutionally, but not athletically. UNT and UAB are big R1 schools, and Rice is prestigious/massive endowment. But the sustained on-the-field success hasn’t been there (as a UNT alum I can attest)"

"UNT and Rice are just absolutely awful awful adds. Aresco messed up.

"...You already have SMU in the Dallas Metroplex so North Texas makes no sense. ..."

 

I'm not going to go find every negative UNT comment because that's absurd but the Athletic is my go to. But the general public thinks we don't belong. You may not care about the public opinion of the school (which you probably do) but its just disheartening. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Message board fans and reddit people who don't know anything about the schools, programs, or media deals. They look at W-L records or flip through a G5 game when it's on tv and their SO isn't making them watch Grace and Frankie.

Absolutely. But that's the main consensus from the opinions I have seen. Sadly I haven't caught what the "experts" on ESPN say because I always seem to tune in when they are done talking about us..... 

Obviously this message board knows more about UNT than anyone else, but the public opinion about us is not great and some AAC loyals would have rather left us out. That is all.

But yes, I don't care what their opinions are, just saying what I have seen. Go Mean Green.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Hoping Wren and Neal hit a home run this off season, this could change everything for North Texas

This is a momentum building point in history similar to when Dodge was hired. DO NOT LET HISTORY REPEAT AND NOT MAXIMIZE THIS! IMO, we do not someone who is learning to be a HC as we try and build. I think it is also important that this coach, or a top assistant (even if we have to overpay) that can recruit the hell out of Texas. I would hope the new HC and Wren make a serious play for Ra’Shaad Samples(assistant HC and running backs coach for SMU) even though they would go overboard to try and keep him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, I Always Mean Green said:

https://theathletic.com/news/aac-officially-adds-six-schools-charlotte-fau-north-texas-rice-uab-utsa/vevlDy3iFjKQ/

Here's a great one. Most of the comments regarding UNT here are not great. 

Ex: "North Texas, Rice, and UAB are good fits institutionally, but not athletically. UNT and UAB are big R1 schools, and Rice is prestigious/massive endowment. But the sustained on-the-field success hasn’t been there (as a UNT alum I can attest)"

"UNT and Rice are just absolutely awful awful adds. Aresco messed up.

"...You already have SMU in the Dallas Metroplex so North Texas makes no sense. ..."

 

I'm not going to go find every negative UNT comment because that's absurd but the Athletic is my go to. But the general public thinks we don't belong. You may not care about the public opinion of the school (which you probably do) but its just disheartening. 

"Just win, baby!" - Al Davis

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Message board fans and reddit people who don't know anything about the schools, programs, or media deals. They look at W-L records or flip through a G5 game when it's on tv and their SO isn't making them watch Grace and Frankie.

These are the people you're trying to market your product to, so it does have a bit of an importance in how you are perceived by those people.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is a momentum building point in history similar to when Dodge was hired. DO NOT LET HISTORY REPEAT AND NOT MAXIMIZE THIS! IMO, we do not someone who is learning to be a HC as we try and build. I think it is also important that this coach, or a top assistant (even if we have to overpay) that can recruit the hell out of Texas. I would hope the new HC and Wren make a serious play for Ra’Shaad Samples(assistant HC and running backs coach for SMU) even though they would go overboard to try and keep him.

Yeah, it's like how the Aggies were lucky to have Manziel at QB at the time they entered the SEC.  That helped them be initially competitive and not immediate bottom dwellers which would have hurt them for a longer term.    Would love to have new "proven" coach and a QB similar to Mason going into the next few seasons to leverage this opportunity and not blow it like we did when we got Dodged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meaniegreenie said:

These are the people you're trying to market your product to, so it does have a bit of an importance in how you are perceived by those people.

Yes, but they aren't actually tuning in or showing up to watch Coastal, App St., Louisiana, Marshall, La Tech, UTSA games right now. They drum them up on reddit and the message boards, but they're not actually THERE for those schools.

So yeah, we need to win at the major sports and build our brand for being something other than terrible, so that we can draw that casual fanbase when things are going well. But the people we NEED to get on board are actually our own students and alumni first. Because that's who would stay through down seasons.

At the G5 level, these casual message board people are gone the second you aren't winning. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, I Always Mean Green said:

Absolutely. But that's the main consensus from the opinions I have seen. Sadly I haven't caught what the "experts" on ESPN say because I always seem to tune in when they are done talking about us..... 

Obviously this message board knows more about UNT than anyone else, but the public opinion about us is not great and some AAC loyals would have rather left us out. That is all.

But yes, I don't care what their opinions are, just saying what I have seen. Go Mean Green.  

You are correct that we need to let people know what is happening at UNT with the facility improvements. We also need to make sure the next FB coach is a proven winner. 

There are a few things most of these people do not stop to think about -

  • The AAC does not want the MWC to get an inroad into Texas. Leaving UNT out (who by all indications was at least talking with the MWC) would not accomplish this.
  • The AAC realizes there is enough market in this area for 2 teams. If this argument is true, then wouldn't it be the same as say the Big 12 already has TCU.
  • The AAC also see there are potential fans to gain that chose not to follow SMU (perhaps for their elitist attitude). As Emmitt pointed out they have a top 25 team and their attendance it not that great.
  • The AAC is covering their bases with their Home Turf. SMU follower's are not hiding the fact that they want the Big 12 even if the Big 12 does not want them. The AAC does not want to be left without a local team if SMU departs.
     
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

You are correct that we need to let people know what is happening at UNT with the facility improvements. We also need to make sure the next FB coach is a proven winner. 

There are a few things most of these people do not stop to think about -

  • The AAC does not want the MWC to get an inroad into Texas. Leaving UNT out (who by all indications was at least talking with the MWC) would not accomplish this.
  • The AAC realizes there is enough market in this area for 2 teams. If this argument is true, then wouldn't it be the same as say the Big 12 already has TCU.
  • The AAC also see there are potential fans to gain that chose not to follow SMU (perhaps for their elitist attitude). As Emmitt pointed out they have a top 25 team and their attendance it not that great.
  • The AAC is covering their bases with their Home Turf. SMU follower's are not hiding the fact that they want the Big 12 even if the Big 12 does not want them. The AAC does not want to be left without a local team if SMU departs.
     

I absolutely agree. I don't need convincing HA. If we head into the AAC and want to make waves, we need some major adjustments. Or maybe just one or two if the original post is to be believed. I'm excited about the move. Just always in a deep state of despair, disbelief, and disappointment when it comes to the Mean Green. 

I miss Mason Fine. *sigh*

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I Always Mean Green said:

Well we need to do something. Most reviews and critics are saying we have no business joining the AAC and that the move to bring us in hurts the conference. We are littrelly the laughing stock of everything D1 football these days. Its embarrassing. 

Guess Smut was too???

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I Always Mean Green said:

We are littrelly the laughing stock of everything D1 football these days. 

I see what you did there.

Stars are aligning, we have GOT to upscale to that splashy, proven, hire. We need a Herman, a Bill Clark, a (ugh... I can barely type this) a Briles to show how 100% serious UNT is at the AAC level. Better conference, bigger paycheck. Let's go poach some good coaches!

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I see what you did there.

Stars are aligning, we have GOT to upscale to that splashy, proven, hire. We need a Herman, a Bill Clark, a (ugh... I can barely type this) a Briles to show how 100% serious UNT is at the AAC level. Better conference, bigger paycheck. Let's go poach some good coaches!

 

I'm glad someone caught that 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, I Always Mean Green said:

I absolutely agree. I don't need convincing HA. If we head into the AAC and want to make waves, we need some major adjustments. Or maybe just one or two if the original post is to be believed. I'm excited about the move. Just always in a deep state of despair, disbelief, and disappointment when it comes to the Mean Green. 

I miss Mason Fine. *sigh*

Want to get depressed/ If my Math is not wrong .... If Mason had red-shirted his Freshman year last season would have been his "SR" year. With the Covid rules he could still have been here this year

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.