North Texas needs to hire Tom Hermann

Jonnyeagle

10 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

TreeFiddy, 

Well now! How's this for some buzz?

You know, I think I would rather take a chance on someone like Coach Carthel at SFA for just under a million, than this 3-5 million gamble you and some others are suggesting. 

Now, don't take this personally, but I think that this is a great example of why the gaming industry does so well.

No worries. 

Also don't take this personally, but this type of same old same old safe/cheap hire type thinking has not really gotten us anywhere.   I have no delusion that we could pay $3M+, which is why this is such a long shot unless he is willing to consider a gig in the 1.5M-2M range.  I hope we at least talk to him and see if there is mutual interest.

• Upvote 1

Herman is interesting.  He was a great motivator at Houston, but he's one of those coaches whose personality and methods quickly wear on people and would become less effective.  I think that's one reason he's never coached anywhere more than 4 years.

Another reason is he's the ultimate professional and social status climber. I thunk he felt Houston was beneath him, but a necessary step for his personal advancement.  What did he think of UH talent?  He said our DC made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.  

I think Herman lwould prefer to rehab his college image as an OC at a high profile school instead of HC at a lower profile school.  He may try to stick in the NFL as a position coach and climb that ladder.

If he did coach at UNT, best case scenario is he's hyper successful and moves on in a couple of years, and UNT follows up with a successful next hire riding the positive wave.  If he stuck around after initial success, I think it wanes as he wears on people and apathy sets in with the fanbase satisfied with what he did at the start.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

What did he think of UH talent?  He said our DC made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.  

And to clarify this statement, he said this after being hired at UT.  Nevermind that after the 2015 and 2016 seasons at UH, he had 5 defensive players drafted including a 1st rounder

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

take everything the basket cases in Austin levy as criticism with a grain of salt. That’s a toxic place with all their boosters agendas.

The are big public version of SMU.  The boosters think they should be able to buy national championship contender relevance.  None of the blue blood programs would have down periods if that was the case.  Now they going to the SEC where at least 6, 7 or 8 programs can spend on par with them.  If they actually let a coach do his job without having to kiss the cracks of their 🍑’s every other week they might win more often.  Also with those spoiled rotten 5 star recruits it is likely one of the least favorite places to coach in College Football that can pay 5 million plus a year.

• Upvote 1

As a Cougar blood, I think Applewhite wasn’t really given a fair chance in a weird situation (in fact, with tanking and Covid, things haven’t been unweird since Herman left) and Tony was never a good fit at any point so I put those two in different categories entirely.  At first ponder I’d considered Tom, but there’s too much baggage and weirdness.  At Houston I found him endearing but by the time he got to Texas (and more of his Ohio State tenure culture came out) he became a bit too repulsive.  I tend to agree with the idea that it’s not a good play, though somewhat tempting in ways. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, tmjerm said:

As a Cougar blood, I think Applewhite wasn’t really given a fair chance in a weird situation (in fact, with tanking and Covid, things haven’t been unweird since Herman left) and Tony was never a good fit at any point so I put those two in different categories entirely.  At first ponder I’d considered Tom, but there’s too much baggage and weirdness.  At Houston I found him endearing but by the time he got to Texas (and more of his Ohio State tenure culture came out) he became a bit too repulsive.  I tend to agree with the idea that it’s not a good play, though somewhat tempting in ways. 

Hey, thank you for the intelligence on Herman.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

No worries. 

Also don't take this personally, but this type of same old same old safe/cheap hire type thinking has not really gotten us anywhere.   I have no delusion that we could pay $3M+, which is why this is such a long shot unless he is willing to consider a gig in the 1.5M-2M range.  I hope we at least talk to him and see if there is mutual interest.

Safe/cheap? Let see, how much is Skip Holz' base salary? I believe it's under a million. Now, how much does Coach Smoke and Mirrors make? I know that it's the American way to throw money at problems (that we don't want to invade with our armed forces), but how about we try making better decisions.....and not overpaying for it?

PS, there are lot of other good examples other than Skip Holtz, but I'm just not highly motivated to look them up.

BTW, good luck on your next trip to your favorite Casio. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Safe/cheap? Let see, how much is Skip Holz' base salary? I believe it's under a million. Now, how much does Coach Smoke and Mirrors make? I know that it's the American way to throw money at problems (that we don't want to invade with our armed forces), but how about we try making better decisions.....and not overpaying for it?

PS, there are lot of other good examples other than Skip Holtz, but I'm just not highly motivated to look them up.

BTW, good luck on your next trip to your favorite Casio. 

A lot also depends on the assistant coaches he is able bring in and keep long enough to have some consistency.  I think in our desperation we overlook that.  The “hot” younger coach has “hot” young assistants in their staffs so even if the Head Coach stays key members of the staff leave without being in the job long enough to train a replacement.  I just think we need an experienced head coach with a record of staying places more than 4 years.  So in mind that is a “Skip Holtz” also.  When we hired Mac I wondered if he could retain a good staff at a G5 level school.  We never found out because the success was so brief and it was due to smart seasoned seniors that lead that Dallas Bowl team.

Edited by Mike Jackson