North Texas needs to hire Tom Hermann

Jonnyeagle

Not only no, but HELL NO. I don't want a coach that kisses their players and tells everyone they're Mensa member while simultaneously being one of the most predictable play callers in college football. I would rather take DMac back.

Edit:

Also forgot, the Big 12 is now part of the Group of 6 and not part of the P4.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 7

18 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Not only no, but HELL NO. I don't want a coach that kisses their players and tells everyone they're Mensa member while simultaneously being one of the most predictable play callers in college football. I would rather take DMac back.

Edit:

Also forgot, the Big 12 is now part of the Group of 6 and not part of the P4.

I would say Houston owes their Big 12 invite to several people...and Tom Herman is one of them.

• Upvote 1

Herman is a thin-skinned weirdo, who also had major allegations made against him regarding drug use and strippers while at Ohio State…all I know is that Texas couldn’t wait to dump a guy who had 4 winning seasons there, including beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, all because he was straight up strange.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

The guy is incredibly unlikable. Not that it matters if he can win, but I'm not fully sure that he can.

I mean he is 52-22 as a head coach. Super impressive overall record. To me it’s worth a conversation with him to see if he’s a program fit. Maybe he’s not - but that’s what you pay Wren and Jared for. To make those kind of calls.

I take everything the basket cases in Austin levy as criticism with a grain of salt. That’s a toxic place with all their boosters agendas.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

he's often won games w/ other's recruits (i.e. Sumlin), but is not well liked by HS coaches. If you have a subscription to the Athletic (which I highly recommend) they did a whole story on that 2 years ago.

This is incredibly important.   Doesn't really matter if you've got the X's & O's if you can't pull in the Jimmies & Joes.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

he's often won games w/ other's recruits (i.e. Sumlin), but is not well liked by HS coaches. If you have a subscription to the Athletic (which I highly recommend) they did a whole story on that 2 years ago.

Probably a fair point, but Houston didn't exactly fall off the map with his recruits after he left.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I think he would be an awesome hire and generate an unbelievable amount of buzz.  Our recruiting would immediately improve as would donations (imo).  I highly doubt we have a realistic shot, but he is currently available and personally, I would make him tell me not interested before considering other candidates.  

His offenses have put up numbers year after year and the best thing is that the hire would drive a certain university a little south of Denton absolutely crazy.  Likely a long, long, long shot.

Herman was 22-4 in his two years at Houston (while in the AAC) with a conference title, #8 ranking and wins over #9 FSU, #3 OU, and #3 Louisville.  As far as I am concerned, he can drink whatever he wants if he could deliver those results for a few years in Denton.

I think that's what was said when Todd Dodge was hired.

• Upvote 3

I liked Tom at Houston. He fell really flat in Austin. I don’t think that his failures in Austin had anything to do with the fan base or boosters. He just wasn’t getting it done.

That said, I could see him getting another shot somewhere. My concern with him is the stories about Texas HS coaches not really liking him. If there’s any truth to that, it would definitely depend on what assistants he could bring in for me.

Edited by DentonLurker

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

I think that's what was said when Todd Dodge was hired.

True, but I think one could argue that hiring UT's most recent ex coach who got UH to a top 10 ranking versus hiring a HS coach is not quite the same. However, I do recall a lot of excitement and buzz with Dodge.  Unfortunately, he proved he was not ready. 

Herman has a lot more experience than Dodge had at the highest levels of college football and has had success.  If given the option, I personally would not hesitate, but understand other opinions.

We have to think about how we can gain an advantage in recruiting over our Texas conference mates, especially since they are all coming with us.  I think Herman specifically would give us an advantage for a couple of years more than other options like Harrell, Briles, Keeler, Morris, Carthel, etc. (could be wrong, but I think Herman would bring an advantage)

Herman was making $5M at UT and $3M at UH.  Not sure how close we could or would want to get to his UH salary and whether that would be enough.  All is probably moot as his name is popping up for lots of jobs at the P4 level.

It's quite possible he is a douche canoe, but I am looking for 2-3 successful years tops to get things jump started and happily let him get hired away.  Looking for a mutually beneficial short term hookup not a marriage.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Now that it looks like we have joined the AAC, Tom Herman would be the perfect fit to return to college football as the next head coach of the University of North Texas.

Tom was a fantastic coach at Houston and a big part of why they are now joining the Big 12 and become a coveted P5 program.   I tend to think that if he returns to college coaching, North Texas would be a terrific fit.

I know some will say Tom is a reach for us but I think he would like to get back into the game and show his ability to build a G5 program.

Tom will not come cheap but North Texas needs a proven winner and Tom has proven he can get us to the top of the AAC in short order. 

Who was the last coach that wasn’t good at Houston if you exclude skullet. Dana Dimel? Tom Herman is a smug POS. He fit right in at Texas until he lost games they thought he should win. He would be a much better fit for SMU. Trust me, this guy is a scumbag’s scumbag. We don’t need or want him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

True, but I think one could argue that hiring UT's most recent ex coach who got UH to a top 10 ranking versus hiring a HS coach is not quite the same. However, I do recall a lot of excitement and buzz with Dodge.  Unfortunately, he proved he was not ready. 

Herman has a lot more experience than Dodge had at the highest levels of college football and has had success.  If given the option, I personally would not hesitate, but understand other opinions.

We have to think about how we can gain an advantage in recruiting over our Texas conference mates, especially since they are all coming with us.  I think Herman specifically would give us an advantage for a couple of years more than other options like Harrell, Briles, Keeler, Morris, Carthel, etc. (could be wrong, but I think Herman would bring an advantage)

Herman was making $5M at UT and $3M at UH.  Not sure how close we could or would want to get to his UH salary and whether that would be enough.  All is probably moot as his name is popping up for lots of jobs at the P4 level.

It's quite possible he is a douche canoe, but I am looking for 2-3 successful years tops to get things jump started and happily let him get hired away.  Looking for a mutually beneficial short term hookup not a marriage.

Who was the last coach that wasn’t good at Houston if you exclude skullet. Dana Dimel? Tom Herman is a smug POS. He fit right in at Texas until he lost games they thought he should win. He would be a much better fit for SMU. Trust me, this guy is a scumbag’s scumbag. We don’t need or want him.

I liked Tom at Houston. He fell really flat in Austin. I don’t think that his failures in Austin had anything to do with the fan base or boosters. He just wasn’t getting it done.

That said, I could see him getting another shot somewhere. My concern with him is the stories about Texas HS coaches not really liking him. If there’s any truth to that, it would definitely depend on what assistants he could bring in for me.

TreeFiddy, 

Well now! How's this for some buzz?

You know, I think I would rather take a chance on someone like Coach Carthel at SFA for just under a million, than this 3-5 million gamble you and some others are suggesting. 

Now, don't take this personally, but I think that this is a great example of why the gaming industry does so well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

If that is the case then just hire Art Briles if you don’t mind a big headache to get a jump.

If you want to jump in the scumbag pool, don’t just go halfway, go all in.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If that is the case than just hire Art Briles if you don’t mind a big headache to get jump.

If you want to jump in the scumbag pool, don’t just go halfway, go all in.

My horse is not so high that I would not hire Art Briles.  If you want to win at high level sports, it has been proven over and over and over and over that nice guys finish last.  I am tired of finishing last.  Frankly, if Herman is not available then try to hire K Briles and I am sure you would get A Briles as a consultant.  Winners win.  Hire a winner and leave the sausage making to them.

• Upvote 3