How long will it take us to win consistently in the AAC?

Jonnyeagle

I don't see four to five years.  With all of his warts regarding game management, prep, player development, etc. the big difference in the hiring of the next head ball coach will be that they are arriving to a campus with great facilities, talent and administrative support.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

4-5 years?  I mean with hole Seth has dug us into it could take some time.  I think we will have to be patient.  Obviously basketball is another story as I expect us to win right away.

4 or 5 years?!? The new coach needs to have us to 6 wins within 2 years. There is talent on this roster. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I think a lot will be depending on how much we improve our budget. We need to step up our game and not only hire the right head coach but also put the money into having very good assistants. Continue to improve facilities (Hello locker rooms) so we can take advantage of a better conference to get better players.

It is going to take a while.  We need linemen and size to compete.  You win in the trenches and the AAC has bigger and better players on their lines.  I don’t buy the recruiting rankings after what I’ve seen on the field this season.  I think it’s a lot of smoke and mirrors based on getting WRs and DBs that are plentiful in numbers.

I’m much more excited about what the basketball team can do in the AAC.  I think we get instantly better access to some higher end talent than we already are getting.  We know Coach Mac can utilize said talent already.

• Upvote 1

Assuming a 2023 start, then this upcoming recruiting class is the start.  We have to get a name coach that will inspire players to WANT to come here.

That and lining up some sweet NIL deals for the guys who come here.  Let's face it, with NIL and the transfer portal, there's essentially free agency in the NCAA

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

It is going to take a while.  We need linemen and size to compete.  You win in the trenches and the AAC has bigger and better players on their lines.  I don’t buy the recruiting rankings after what I’ve seen on the field this season.  I think it’s a lot of smoke and mirrors based on getting WRs and DBs that are plentiful in numbers.

I’m much more excited about what the basketball team can do in the AAC.  I think we get instantly better access to some higher end talent than we already are getting.  We know Coach Mac can utilize said talent already.

Do they?  You should.

Again, I think y'all will be surprised at what these guys currently on the roster will be able to to do NEXT YEAR with the right hire.   The talent is already here.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Every CUSA team leaving, including us, should be hitting the transfer portal HARD this year. There will be a race to prove your program “belongs” and every school will want to make that statement early. 

Which is why we need to break up with mumbles now rather than later. Need a coach who can play the portal game before its emptied out

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Based on everything I’ve seen in this program over many years, I don’t see it at all. To assume we are becoming more competitive in the conference implies the other schools in the conference become less competitive which seems unlikely. Why would they stop putting in effort so we could pass them? Perhaps they want us to be the Kansas of the AAC, good at basketball and terrible at football.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Every CUSA team leaving, including us, should be hitting the transfer portal HARD this year. There will be a race to prove your program “belongs” and every school will want to make that statement early. 

NT has hit the transfer portal HARD every year.    Here's what we've got out of it (created in 2018, so the class of 2019):

Dominique Harrison, CB from AZSt. (depth)
Nick Harvey, CB from A&M, by way of South Carolina (started, but I wouldn't call him a "contributor".  Sadly, he was broken by the time he got here)
DeAndre Plantin, OT from VATech (a contributor)

Carson Kropp, LB from OSU (depth)
Jordan Rucker, CB from Purdue (cant crack depth chart)
Amani Gilmore, QB from Kentucky (cant crack depth chart)

Sean-Thomas Faulkner, LB from the Citadel (depth)
Ridge Texada, CB from McNeese St (cant crack depth chart)
Greg Francis, S from UNLV (depth)
Tommy Bush, WR from Georgia (unfortunate injury)
Enoch Jackson, DT from Arkansas (a contributor - excited about this one though!)
Jace Ruder, QB from North Carolina (depth)
Tyrae Thornton, CB from Rice (gone - didn't even last 1/2 a season)
John Davis, CB from TXTech (a contributor)
Logan Wilson, CB from LAMo (cant crack depth chart)
Jacob Farrell, OT from OKSt (worst bust of them all)

So it's not necessarily that NT needs to hit the X-fer portal hard... it's actually getting QUALITY out of the portal.
I don't understand how this staff is able to recruit High School so well, but cannot get superior players out of the portal.  The best we're getting is "a contributor" (although, we'll see what we get from Jackson).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

NT has hit the transfer portal HARD every year.    Here's what we've got out of it (created in 2018, so the class of 2019):

Dominique Harrison, CB from AZSt. (depth)
Nick Harvey, CB from A&M, by way of South Carolina (started, but I wouldn't call him a "contributor".  Sadly, he was broken by the time he got here)
DeAndre Plantin, OT from VATech (a contributor)

Carson Kropp, LB from OSU (depth)
Jordan Rucker, CB from Purdue (cant crack depth chart)
Amani Gilmore, QB from Kentucky (cant crack depth chart)

Sean-Thomas Faulkner, LB from the Citadel (depth)
Ridge Texada, CB from McNeese St (cant crack depth chart)
Greg Francis, S from UNLV (depth)
Tommy Bush, WR from Georgia (unfortunate injury)
Enoch Jackson, DT from Arkansas (a contributor - excited about this one though!)
Jace Ruder, QB from North Carolina (depth)
Tyrae Thornton, CB from Rice (gone - didn't even last 1/2 a season)
John Davis, CB from TXTech (a contributor)
Logan Wilson, CB from LAMo (cant crack depth chart)
Jacob Farrell, OT from OKSt (worst bust of them all)

So it's not necessarily that NT needs to hit the X-fer portal hard... it's actually getting QUALITY out of the portal.
I don't understand how this staff is able to recruit High School so well, but cannot get superior players out of the portal.  The best we're getting is "a contributor" (although, we'll see what we get from Jackson).

I get what you’re saying, but getting 3 recruits a year prior to last year doesn’t exactly scream going hard for transfers. Transfers will always be a crapshoot bc them moving homes means they weren’t playing well enough at their previous stop. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I get what you’re saying, but getting 3 recruits a year prior to last year doesn’t exactly scream going hard for transfers. Transfers will always be a crapshoot bc them moving homes means they weren’t playing well enough at their previous stop. 

I'd settle for guys who were actually playing at their previous stops and were maybe passed up by an underclassman or something (*ahem, Spencer Rattler*).   Not some guy who has excuses for why he wasn't playing.   We've heard 'em all before.

• Upvote 1

Win consistently? I don't know what you mean and I'm not sure if it's allowed. Will need more research.

But seriously, however long it takes to hire more than one good coach in a row.

Meaning,.... you have to win, win big, win bowl games, lose a coach to a better gig, then repeat... in order to win consistently, in my mind.

• Upvote 1