Sensible realignment!

Arkstfan

6 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

While your soon to be former commissioner and numerous realignment junkies and bored sports writers have played with maps the last decade plus for what they considered sensible realignment based solely around maps, looks like the presidents and chancellors are solving this themselves.

Look at the new AAC. Outside of ECU and Wichita State, it’s a collection of publics and privates in large metro areas. For the most part, institutions with similar missions.

Meanwhile, Sun Belt has been in discussion with USM and Marshall for at least three months, maybe more like four from what I hear and if they end up joining as expected, it makes Sun Belt a collection of football centric public universities located in college towns and small cities except for Georgia State.

The presidents have sorted themselves out into similar minded schools.

That leaves CUSA. 

You’ve got UTEP roughly 890 miles from their nearest conference opponent in La. Tech. If USM joins Sun Belt as expected that leaves FIU roughly 890 miles away from their nearest CUSA opponent in MTSU. 

It seems it has worked out well for everyone but the CUSA outliers and schools that have some blemish that keeps them from drawing interest from the Belt or AAC. 

It’s a great outcome in my book

I’ve thought about this too, it does fit nicer than people think. Also, ECU is actually in a pretty big metro. That surprised me too, but it’s a top 20 CSA in the south. 

To me, the only other weird outlier conference outside CUSA now is the Big 12. Weird mix of plains state flagships and overlap of what AAC’s demographic is, plus BYU. Basically just a medley of outside the top-4 conferences, but still P5, teams. 

• Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I’ve thought about this too, it does fit nicer than people think. Also, ECU is actually in a pretty big metro. That surprised me too, but it’s a top 20 CSA in the south. 

To me, the only other weird outlier conference outside CUSA now is the Big 12. Weird mix of plains state flagships and overlap of what AAC’s demographic is, plus BYU. Basically just a medley of outside the top-4 conferences, but still P5, teams. 

Having like minded schools makes life easier. Reaching a consensus is easier when everyone has a similar outlook. It creates a stable environment.

8 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Having like minded schools makes life easier. Reaching a consensus is easier when everyone has a similar outlook. It creates a stable environment.

I see some G5-P5 parallels too that could be useful for future scheduling. SEC-SBC, B10-MAC, P12-MWC, AAC-ACC, then those outlier conference in CUSA and B12. 

• Upvote 2

Couldn't agree more.  I think this is the best possible outcome for UNT as far as landing spots go.  A lot of folks were on the MWC bandwagon, but I've never felt like that was a good home for UNT unless the move could have been made with a couple of other Texas travel partners.  Even then, I thought it was a lateral move at best, for $ and recruiting reasons.

TBH, I'm kind of excited about UNT being in a conference with Wichita State.  They have skins on the wall in both basketball and baseball, and I think a lot of folks are unaware of how good they historically are in those sports.

Obviously there may be some more dominoes that fall, but this is a great outcome in my book.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

While your soon to be former commissioner and numerous realignment junkies and bored sports writers have played with maps the last decade plus for what they considered sensible realignment based solely around maps, looks like the presidents and chancellors are solving this themselves.

Look at the new AAC. Outside of ECU and Wichita State, it’s a collection of publics and privates in large metro areas. For the most part, institutions with similar missions.

Meanwhile, Sun Belt has been in discussion with USM and Marshall for at least three months, maybe more like four from what I hear and if they end up joining as expected, it makes Sun Belt a collection of football centric public universities located in college towns and small cities except for Georgia State.

That leaves CUSA. 

You’ve got UTEP roughly 890 miles from their nearest conference opponent in La. Tech. If USM joins Sun Belt as expected that leaves FIU roughly 890 miles away from their nearest CUSA opponent in MTSU. 

It seems it has worked out well for everyone but the CUSA outliers and schools that have some blemish that keeps them from drawing interest from the Belt or AAC. 

So. Miss ties in perfectly with your footprint. However , what are your thoughts on FIU. It would give the SBC entry into Florida instead of West Virginia. Besides, have you seen their dance team?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

59 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Couldn't agree more.  I think this is the best possible outcome for UNT as far as landing spots go.  A lot of folks were on the MWC bandwagon, but I've never felt like that was a good home for UNT unless the move could have been made with a couple of other Texas travel partners.  Even then, I thought it was a lateral move at best, for $ and recruiting reasons.

TBH, I'm kind of excited about UNT being in a conference with Wichita State.  They have skins on the wall in both basketball and baseball, and I think a lot of folks are unaware of how good they historically are in those sports.

Obviously there may be some more dominoes that fall, but this is a great outcome in my book.

As I mentioned to Harry, getting in with Wichita, Temple, Memphis, just reduced the pool of schools that can snag Mac though from my interaction with he and his family I’m not sure he can get permission to leave Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

FIU is a long way away and there are good looking women on the internet who are more age appropriate to ogle. 

Just today saw that there are hot women in my neighborhood wanting to meet. 

Ummm, could I get your address?  Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

FIU is a long way away and there are good looking women on the internet who are more age appropriate to ogle. 

Just today saw that there are hot women in my neighborhood wanting to meet. 

Well, regarding being age appropriate, you don't have to be dead to bark at the cars.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

That leaves CUSA. 

@ArkstfanQuestion. In you opinion do the Sun Belt go to 12 if they expand, or do they go for 14? Also, what are your thoughts on ULM remaining i the Belt? It looks like their budget in around 15 million, around half of the next lowest. The belt got rid of NMSU, should they try and part ways with ULM and perhaps go after La Tech?

3 hours ago, LongJim said:

Back in the 60's NT was in the MVC with Wichita State. In all the times my High School band attended NT homecoming games in the  60's NT was either playing Wichita State or Cincinnati. At 324 miles, Wichita State was our second closest conference mate. Tulsa was the closest at 270.

AND to add a little trivia for the former North Texas Band members on the board, Wichita State once brought their Band to one of the homecomings.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@ArkstfanQuestion. In you opinion do the Sun Belt go to 12 if they expand, or do they go for 14? Also, what are your thoughts on ULM remaining i the Belt? It looks like their budget in around 15 million, around half of the next lowest. The belt got rid of NMSU, should they try and part ways with ULM and perhaps go after La Tech?

Right now 12 seems to be the number. 
ULM finally has decent leadership. Last president wanted to offset university support dollar for dollar when athletics raised money. That crap is over. 
There is no love for Tech but if ESPN ties a pork chop to their neck then hey maybe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Right now 12 seems to be the number. 
ULM finally has decent leadership. Last president wanted to offset university support dollar for dollar when athletics raised money. That crap is over. 
There is no love for Tech but if ESPN ties a pork chop to their neck then hey maybe. 

If the feeling for Tech based on the way they have acted towards ULM?