Future unknown for Marshall athletics with C-USA likely to lose 6 members to AAC

meangreen11

The future of Conference USA is in limbo with six of its members looking to join the American Athletic Conference.

According to multiple national media outlets and first reported by Yahoo! Sports, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Rice, North Texas, UTSA and Charlotte are expected to apply for membership into the AAC as soon as this week.

The six schools would almost certainly be accepted, leaving behind Marshall as one of eight remaining members in C-USA. The other remaining C-USA members are: Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, Southern Miss, UTEP and Western Kentucky.

Early Tuesday afternoon, interim Marshall Athletic Director Jeff O’Malley offered a two-part statement on social media that read: With the news that broke yesterday, I want to assure our fans that we have worked and will continue to work to position Marshall in the best possible way. The one thing I’ve learned throughout this process is that Marshall University has a tremendous brand and one of the best fan bases in the country. Although the climate is changing, I’m very excited about the future of Marshall Athletics.

Marshall President Jerome A. Gilbert also offered a statement on social media later Tuesday. It read: I am working closely with AD O’Malley to determine what is best for Marshall athletics.  We are in a strong position.  I am confident that we can achieve a good result for the Herd.

read more:  https://wvmetronews.com/2021/10/19/future-unknown-for-marshall-athletics-with-c-usa-likely-to-lose-6-members-to-aac/

• Upvote 1

I think it’s Sun Belt to join old friends App and Ga So. Marshall and the MAC while academically work, they don’t get along. Things changed from the 60s till 1996. Selfishly, hoping for it for vacations to Gulf Shores, Savannah and even Myrtle. 

I will miss seeing what Charlotte and UTSA can become. Hoping UNT finds its footing and takes off. It was short, but it’s been fun. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, HerdFan said:

I think it’s Sun Belt to join old friends App and Ga So. Marshall and the MAC while academically work, they don’t get along. Things changed from the 60s till 1996. Selfishly, hoping for it for vacations to Gulf Shores, Savannah and even Myrtle. 

I will miss seeing what Charlotte and UTSA can become. Hoping UNT finds its footing and takes off. It was short, but it’s been fun. 

Best to you guys. Hope you own the Belt for many years to come.

• Upvote 1

I actually find the sun belt interesting with its quality programs. Add in some strong cusa talent and the sun belt remains a good watch. It’s not the old sun belt anymore. Marshall La Tech southern miss gonna figure it out and do well. New beginnings.

GMG

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Marshall and WKU should contact the MAC.  It would be an upgrade to that conference with bit more money in their TV contract.

Sorry, but I’ve always believed West Virginia & Texas to be strange bedfellows.  When I think of WV I think of a spineless senator & the total sadness of a plane crash that killed some mighty fine people. (I knew the girlfriend of one of the Marshall players killed). 
I do wish Marshall the best of luck, but to be honest most of the CUSA-East schools to many of us were faceless, generic programs as I’m sure most of CUSA-West was to them. This divorce will be good for  all.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, shaft said:

I'll post this here too.

It's pretty tacky to start piling on schools excluded from the expansion (Just like some people on this board continue to demean the Sun Belt).   UNT is one of the worst teams in D1 football right now and would not have made the cut if the AAC went to 12.  So let's show a little class, celebrate our win, and not start making a list of other programs shortcomings.

We have no idea if NT would make the cut at 12 or not.  It should be obvious that the choices were not made based on the current football situation. 

Read the crap from some of those fans of CUSA teams that didn't get the offers.   Some are measured and reasonable.  Others are not so complimentary to UNT.   

I do agree that gloating is certainly not called for.  NT was picked for a reason over other teams.  It is mostly because of the substantial investments made by NT in athletics, location and most of all potential. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

We have no idea if NT would make the cut at 12 or not.  It should be obvious that the choices were not made based on the current football situation. 

Read the crap from some of those fans of CUSA teams that didn't get the offers.   Some are measured and reasonable.  Others are not so complimentary to UNT.   

I do agree that gloating is certainly not called for.  NT was picked for a reason over other teams.  It is mostly because of the substantial investments made by NT in athletics, location and most of all potential. 

Spot on, GrandGreen! 

I was as pissed when a losing SMU football program that had “10” under .500 W/L seasons in a row was asked to join CUSA in 2004 to begin play in 2005.  Its called jealousy. 🤠

The Sun Belt Conference has proven to be the Little Engine That Could…

They hit a grand slam with Appy State and Coastal Carolina and they will get some fine choices from CUSA. To me, Marshall, USM, and MUTS are no-brainers to go after. Of course, the MAC might want WKU, ODU, and MUTS, too.

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

And if you visit the AAC message board you will see UNT receives many compliments for our facilities.