ODU trying to salvage Conference USA, bring in ‘members of regional benefit’ after report that 6 teams are leaving

meangreen11

In his statement on Tuesday, Hemphill said that ODU is looking to work with Conference USA leadership to save the league and bring its footprint closer to Norfolk.

If those current members stay, Conference USA could add FCS power James Madison (a former Colonial Athletic Association rival of ODU whose athletic director Jeff Bourne also supports a more regionalized conference) and Liberty University, which is currently competing in FBS as an independent, to bring the conference to 10 teams. 

Then Conference USA’s eastern division could feature ODU, JMU, Liberty, Marshall and Western Kentucky/Middle Tennessee. Southern Miss. Louisiana Tech, FIU, UTEP and Western Kentucky/MTSU could make up a western division. 

So while the conference would still stretch to Texas and Florida, ODU could have at least two closer opponents overall, cutting down on travel.

read more:  https://www.wavy.com/news/national/odu-trying-to-salvage-conference-usa-bring-in-members-of-regional-benefit-after-report-that-6-teams-are-leaving/amp/

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

ODU’s situation makes me laugh. They’ve acted like they were too good for CUSA from day one and look at them now. 

Exactly. ODU deserves the most to rot in CUSA purgatory. Did absolutely nothing in the conference, thought they were too good for CUSA, and thought money could buy their way into a higher conference. Good riddance

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Exactly. ODU deserves the most to rot in CUSA purgatory. Did absolutely nothing in the conference, thought they were too good for CUSA, and thought money could buy their way into a higher conference. Good riddance

Isn’t that exactly how UNT got in? Bought new facilities, have a good G5 athletic budget, and are considered a great “potential” team.

Never done anything in football in our conference.

I truly hope this move wakes up our “sleeping giant” and we become a consistent winner of the conference.

GMG!!!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Isn’t that exactly how UNT got in? Bought new facilities, have a good G5 athletic budget, and are considered a great “potential” team.

I truly hope this move wakes up our “sleeping giant” and we become a consistent winner of the conference.

GMG!!!

No, as in bragging about their massive endowment as if that was the biggest factor in conference realignment. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Hookset said:

GMG!!!

I know we're down on our team right now, but don't poo-poo on the West Division championship that 2017 team earned.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

No, as in bragging about their massive endowment as if that was the biggest factor in conference realignment. 

It wasn't them bragging about their endowment. They were bragging about their athletic budget... Which when you break it down is largely driven by a very high student fee. Highest in the conference and it's not even close.

In 2020 North Texas acquired 13 million in student fees. In the same year ODU Athletics acquired 32 million in student fees.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/232982

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

ODU’s situation makes me laugh. They’ve acted like they were too good for CUSA from day one and look at them now. 

I guess we need to post this again.

It's pretty tacky to start piling on schools excluded from the expansion (Just like some people on this board continue to demean the Sun Belt).   UNT is one of the worst teams in D1 football right now and would not have made the cut if the AAC went to 12.  So let's show a little class, celebrate our win, and not start making a list of other programs shortcomings.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, shaft said:

It's pretty tacky to start piling on schools excluded from the expansion (Just like some people on this board continue to demean the Sun Belt).   UNT is one of the worst teams in D1 football right now and would not have made the cut if the AAC went to 12.  So let's show a little class, celebrate our win, and not start making a list of other programs shortcomings.

Are you really from “the mean streets”? I don’t believe it.

Stop policing the board.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, shaft said:

You know, I 99% agree with this, but it ends with ODU.  I won't go on their boards and cackle, but they have looked down their noses at everyone in CUSA ever since they entered the conference.  Good riddance to the Monarchs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1