Our new basketball arena for the AAC

Jonnyeagle

On 10/19/2021 at 10:37 PM, GrandGreen said:

I think building a bright new McDonald looking basketball arena ala UTA, is foolish at best.  

The SP is fine, should be able to renovate it for a fraction of the cost of a new facility,

I honestly do not know what the rationale for this level of expenditure could be? 

I don't think it would help recruiting, if that is the justification just adding more to the recruiting budget would be a lot cheaper.

A new facility is not going to significantly improve scheduling or attendance. . 

Literally no to all of the things you said. Seriously? I don’t think these points are rational. 

• Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/20/2021 at 1:38 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

“Wow” on the rendering of Super Pit 2.0. 

When I was a UNT student less than a thousand NT students at the Super Pit for any game you’d think they must have had a major test to study for.  

Are you sure about a couple of hundred UNT students  per game with Grant McCasland running the show?

🦅

Covid my guy…and before that fan interest was gaining steam. Why does attendance always fall on the students? I say this time and time again these venues will not sell out because of students they sell out because alums and the casual fan come to the game. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Care to elaborate what you don't think is rational.  

Well to start off, new facilities won’t effect recruiting? Of course they will, they always do. Recruits like shiny new things. A new modern building will attract better opponents, they don’t want to play in a dump and they want their fans to be accommodated as well. The amount of money it would take to really renovate the Super Pit is going to equal the amount needed for a new facility. Why not make a new facility one that both volleyball and basketball can use. It makes sense.

For the record I like the Super Pit…but it needs major renovations that I don’t think are fiscally viable.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Well to start off, new facilities won’t effect recruiting? Of course they will, they always do. Recruits like shiny new things. A new modern building will attract better opponents, they don’t want to play in a dump and they want their fans to be accommodated as well. The amount of money it would take to really renovate the Super Pit is going to equal the amount needed for a new facility. Why not make a new facility one that both volleyball and basketball can use. It makes sense.

For the record I like the Super Pit…but it needs major renovations that I don’t think are fiscally viable.  

Thanks for the reply.  

I can assure everything is rational.  

As far as attendance, winning or losing, and opponent are the major factors.

Sure a new facility is going to a create a temporary uptick in attendance but it will quickly fade.  You can only go to a new place first once.  

The SP is far from a dump.  I highly doubt the SP effects scheduling at all. 

The thought that a renovation of the SP is going to cost the same amount as a new arena is IMO ridiculous  If it is even close, than a new facility would be better.   However, the SP is currently and has operated for a long time; unless you know it is unsafe: 

I am sure NT has financial analysis that factors in the cost and expected benefits.  Obviously, this is a borderline project it is always categorized as construction in the future.     If NT can get a large chunk donated than a new arena becomes much more attractive. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

I don't think we really need a new arena.  I've been in plenty that are not as good as the Super Pit and I think building a much smaller arena just as we're about to get into a really quality basketball conference is rather illogical.

But if they wanna build it, they'll build it.

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

I don't think we really need a new arena.  I've been in plenty that are not as good as the Super Pit and I think building a much smaller arena just as we're about to get into a really quality basketball conference is rather illogical.

But if they wanna build it, they'll build it.

I agree with you generally but the problem with the Pit is it doesn't have luxury boxes which you need to generate more donations and revenue for the program.   Also the University owns it and is very stingy about allowing basketball to use it which is why we had to build the Kuehne practice facility which is available 24 hours.  Sometimes doing a remodel is more expensive than just building it from the ground up.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, 3XNTGRAD said:

Here are some of the things I've heard about why a new basketball arena is preferred:

- additions of suites/boxes adds revenue source (you can't add these to the Super Pit - the university would not allow the loss of capacity these would cause since we need those seats for graduations and other events)

- scheduling (Athletics has to ask for dates just like any other potential user so not guaranteed dates)

- "right-sized" arena could give a better experience (Super Pit is really too big). 

This is all true and wren has said all this. Plus with all the ADA rules, the pit struggles to meet those. They can’t renovate and take out seats for the boxes as the university wants it to host events from all over. A separate arena is going to be built over by where the old raddison was

• Upvote 2

It is very, very expensive to renovate existing buildings. In so doing you have to bring the entire building up to current building standards one of these requirements would be ADA ( Americans with disabilities)  which is very costly as an example. Most buildings are renovated because of location and cost of land. We already own the land with a great location. Announce and start the new AD building now with the arena being next. We can finance a lot with the new revenue even it is just 1/2 of the current distribution. GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3

Modern facility with suites, club level, and other premium seating to sell is going to be big for the growth of the program. It’s happening - and before we add baseball - thank god. Basketball needs to be a 1B priority behind football now that we’re moving to the AAC. We’re swimming in the deep water with programs like Memphis and Wichita St. 

Going to be a great addition to campus.

• Upvote 3

On 10/20/2021 at 10:12 AM, GrandGreen said:

You know this makes no sense.  

The technical ownership has absolutely nothing to do with the scheduling of the SP.  The President and AD make those decisions just like almost every college owned athletic facility in the country. 

This is not true. Remember a couple of years ago the women had to play a game at TWU because the education department had an event scheduled and wouldn’t change it. 
The SuperPit was built with education monies. The education department owns it and controls it not the athletic department. They do a very good job of scheduling athletics but occasionally don’t.

• Upvote 3

On 10/21/2021 at 1:57 PM, Salsa_Verde said:

Covid my guy…and before that fan interest was gaining steam. Why does attendance always fall on the students? I say this time and time again these venues will not sell out because of students they sell out because alums and the casual fan come to the game. 

I agree and have bought season tickets for my family since the J. Jones era.

I do hope the students come back at the same level some day. That was awesome and very loud!!! What a hostile crowd for visiting teams!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Hookset said:

This is not true. Remember a couple of years ago the women had to play a game at TWU because the education department had an event scheduled and wouldn’t change it. 
The SuperPit was built with education monies. The education department owns it and controls it not the athletic department. They do a very good job of scheduling athletics but occasionally don’t.

Do you really think that the education department has someone who oversees the SP?  No, the President and AD administer the use of the SP.  Just like any other athletic facility of NT.  

The SP was build with state money which would not have happened if it were not a multi-use facility. 

Does anyone think that sports arenas at UT, A&M or about anywhere else are not used frequently for non-athletic events.?

Excerpt about Erwin Center (superdrum) at University Texas Austin:

Originally built in 1977, the Frank C. Erwin Jr. Special Events Center is regarded as Austin’s premier venue for large public and private events with seating for up to 17,725. Sometimes referred to as “The Superdrum,” due to its drum-like appearance from the outside, the facility is primarily the home court for the UT Men’s and Women’s Basketball programs. The center holds many diverse events ranging from concerts to wresting events and private banquets. The Erwin Center also hosts the semifinals and finals of the University Interscholastic League boys’ and girls’ basketball playoffs in all five classifications.

• Eye Roll 2

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Do you really think that the education department has someone who oversees the SP?  No, the President and AD administer the use of the SP.  Just like any other athletic facility of NT.  

The SP was build with state money which would not have happened if it were not a multi-use facility. 

Does anyone think that sports arenas at UT, A&M or about anywhere else are not used frequently for non-athletic events.?

Originally built in 1977, the Frank C. Erwin Jr. Special Events Center is regarded as Austin’s premier venue for large public and private events with seating for up to 17,725. Sometimes referred to as “The Superdrum,” due to its drum-like appearance from the outside, the facility is primarily the home court for the UT Men’s and Women’s Basketball programs. The center holds many diverse events ranging from concerts to wresting events and private banquets. The Erwin Center also hosts the semifinals and finals of the University Interscholastic League boys’ and girls’ basketball playoffs in all five classifications.

Ummm, you just proved my point. UNT wants an athletic facility that is dedicated to basketball, volleyball.

They don’t want a multi use facility.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

North Texas had a Director of the Coliseum, Main Auditorium and later the Gateway Center named Steve Selby.  He was not employed by the athletic department but by the university.  It was not built with AD funds, but university funds, thus it fell under the direction of the university and did lead to many scheduling conflicts through the years.  Comparing the SP to the "Super Drum" is apples to oranges as UT built their facility with AD money and they had full control of scheduling.  Trust me, UT never had to move a basketball game due to a robotics competition.

In fact, if you search the facility it comes up under the division of Student Affairs, not Athletics.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

North Texas had a Director of the Coliseum, Main Auditorium and later the Gateway Center named Steve Selby.  He was not employed by the athletic department but by the university.  It was not built with AD funds, but university funds, thus it fell under the direction of the university and did lead to many scheduling conflicts through the years.  Comparing the SP to the "Super Drum" is apples to oranges as UT built their facility with AD money and they had full control of scheduling.  Trust me, UT never had to move a basketball game due to a robotics competition.

In fact, if you search the facility it comes up under the division of Student Affairs, not Athletics.

The use of any University/athletics facility is going to be used in the best interest of the University.  Having a building manager does not mean he is making major policy decisions. 

I and I doubt you, know why the oft cited Robotics exhibition was scheduled at the SP.  I believe that it would have been scheduled even if the AD had complete control over the SPit.

Perhaps someone decided that making significant money from SP rental and moving the girls game next door was the best decision for NT.

This event took place 25 years ago, yet is often used by fans who think the title of the SPit has some bearing on scheduling.  This without any data to support that the Athletic Department had any objections. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 10/26/2021 at 11:03 PM, Hookset said:

I agree and have bought season tickets for my family since the J. Jones era.

I do hope the students come back at the same level some day. That was awesome and very loud!!! What a hostile crowd for visiting teams!

The CBI was awesome. That is what the Super Pit can be and it wasn’t all the way full. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, GrandGreen said:

The use of any University/athletics facility is going to be used in the best interest of the University.  Having a building manager does not mean he is making major policy decisions. 

I and I doubt you, know why the oft cited Robotics exhibition was scheduled at the SP.  I believe that it would have been scheduled even if the AD had complete control over the SPit.

Perhaps someone decided that making significant money from SP rental and moving the girls game next door was the best decision for NT.

This event took place 25 years ago, yet is often used by fans who think the title of the SPit has some bearing on scheduling.  This without any data to support that the Athletic Department had any objections. 

There is no way to know whether this is the case because no such situation exists. I doubt Athletics will be leasing out the facility to outside events during basketball season.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3