Say a prayer for UTEP

Coach Bill Lewis

• Harry changed the title to Say a prayer for UTEP
25 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

They finally get decent at football and everyone leaves. This has been a long snowball effect from the Natalicio regime that didn't give 2 shits about athletics

I use to live in EP. All my friends said she really hurt UTEP in more than just athletics. Look no further than a 100 percent acceptance rate. The University declined because of her in a big way.  That said, I would say they are in a very bad place right now. They can’t be an independent. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTexas said:

I use to live in EP. All my friends said she really hurt UTEP in more than just athletics. Look no further than a 100 percent acceptance rate. The University declined because of her in a big way.  That said, I would say they are in a very bad place right now. They can’t be an independent. 

When my son was at UTEP he worked at the stadium. He said you would see her show up to the games and walk in and 15 minutes she was gone. She is the reason UTEP is where they are.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNTexas said:

What are they saying?

They are realistic that UTEP is in a bad spot. Seems a lot of people out here are wanting to say look how good we are this year and that should be what matters. They really want to be in the MWC. Still seem to think they are too good to be in a conference with NMSU

12 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

They can’t be an independent. 

Better to be even in this current C-USA than independent I guess.  Doubt it'd be a great existence . That said, NMSU seems to somehow manage it. If they can, why shouldn't UTEP be able?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

@Arkstfanand I were talking about this and he had a good idea adding NMSU as a travel partner.  UTEP won't like it but they may not have a choice.

I think that might be the only way UTEP stays in. This this could be Football only with the other sports in the WAC

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

@Arkstfanand I were talking about this and he had a good idea adding NMSU as a travel partner.  UTEP won't like it but they may not have a choice.

If (and that is a big if) C-USA can stay together, it will become a more eastern league. No way the ODU and Marshalls etc allow expansion westward again unless they are completely desperate. But there are plenty southeastern FCS programs they can add if push comes to shove. UTEP will remain an island. And that -sadly- is probably the best case scenario. C-USA dissolving is the worst case. Because of that, UTEp switching to being football only is probably a good idea for both UTEP and C-USA.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

C-USA dissolving is the worst case.

@Cerebus and I spoke about this topic and he rightly indicated it is very unlikely that CUSA will disband because they have 18 million in exit fees owed to them (6 x 3 mil) from the schools that are leaving.   They also get to keep the NCAA tourney credits from our win against Purdue as well as their autobid. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Does anyone know what the CUSA by-laws say about kicking a team out?

@Cerebusand I were talking about this and typically this would be spelled out in the by laws.  There are typically a minimum number of teams that have to remain in the conference for it to remain viable, so like with the Big 12 we think it was 6 but not sure again what that number is or if it is even spelled out with C-USA.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They are realistic that UTEP is in a bad spot. Seems a lot of people out here are wanting to say look how good we are this year and that should be what matters. They really want to be in the MWC. Still seem to think they are too good to be in a conference with NMSU

Unfortunately the MWC isn’t expanding and who knows what happens to CUSA. I really don’t know how UTEP navigates this. Unfortunately the WAC might be on the table. We know all too well the 1aa relegation. I don’t see Independent as an option.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Same. I'm from EP with a lot of my family, including my dad, as UTEP grads. I remember when people used to love Natalicio because of her push for academics and were sad the day she retired. Bet they are regretting that now. They really are in a horrible spot. Out on island stuck in heavy limbo where each option is worse than the next (if it is true MWC isn't taking anyone else). Natalicio is really getting her wish now.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty tacky to start piling on schools excluded from the expansion (Just like some people on this board continue to demean the Sun Belt).   UNT is one of the worst teams in D1 football right now and would not have made the cut if the AAC went to 12.  So let's show a little class, celebrate our win, and not start making a list of other programs shortcomings.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, shaft said:

It's pretty tacky to start piling on schools excluded from the expansion (Just like some people on this board continue to demean the Sun Belt).   UNT is one of the worst teams in D1 football right now and would not have made the cut if the AAC went to 12.  So let's show a little class, celebrate our win, and not start making a list of other programs shortcomings.

I agree. It's just hearing so many out hear talk about how UNT did not deserve and years of their BS attitude towards NMSU. But, your right.

• Upvote 1

Most of the UTEP problems is bad blood between the original members of the MWC (or former members of the WAC more appropriately) and UTEPs unwillingness to go with the WAC16 idea years and years ago.

UTEPs rigidness then is being repaid in spades.

I have no ill will to UTEP, but I can’t fault schools that have a long institutional memory either.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, shaft said:

I agree. I grew up going to UTEP games and still have a lot of UTEP connections. I really feel bad for them. Yes, a lot of it was of their own making but it's still a horrible spot to be in. At least they still have their world class Track and Field/XC programs and 1966.