Last minute SMU led pustch to disavow NT from the AAC

Tom McKrackin

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No, all colleges have basically the same mission: to teach and prepare their students to earn a good living. 

Private, for profit institutions have a mission to make money.  The business of education is simply their vehicle to do that.  They need to convince current and prospective students that the words they read in the same textbooks as their state school counterparts are actually more valuable and thus justify the premium tuition rates they pay.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Private, for profit institutions have a mission to make money.  The business of education is simply their vehicle to do that.  They need to convince current and prospective students that the words they read in the same textbooks as their state school counterparts are actually more valuable and thus justify the premium tuition rates they pay.

SMU and the vast majority of private schools are still non-profit entities. 

Any surplus wether at UT or SMU is then invested back into the school. 

Obviously, the more revenues generated; the more to spend on facilities, salarlies, recruiting, research, etc.  

In reality, there is no significant difference between private or public colleges missions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's about markets. Houston and San Antonio are covered. I think it's clear SMU has goals to get to the Big 12 and with the supposed interest in UNT from the Mountain West, the AAC is covering it's bases so if SMU does leave at some point they are not left without a team in their home market (think of it like Green Bay who keeps drafting QB's to make sure they have someone available). The plus side for the AAC will be if UNT continues to invest in facilities and can build up football. Don't underestimate the potential strength of having access to games on non-internet ESPN. 

SMU is a little delusional to think they are joining any P5 conference.  Sonny Dykes would need to stay there a decade, à La Gary Patterson at TCU.  I don’t see that happening.   Also P5 is nice but they are never getting into the SEC or getting  A&M, OU or UT to come to Ford Stadium regularly in for out of conference games unless it is upgraded massively.   Those are the teams they want to play and would drive local attendance/TV viewing numbers.  And for all the best brands left of the old Big 12 they already have TCU as their presence in the market.  Why would you want to strengthen another competitor for recruits in this market?  For a recruit that wants to play P5 locally and remain local they have to be a fit for TCU right now.   If I am Texas Tech, OSU or KSU the chances of me getting that particular recruit goes down with SMU in P5 cause he has two options.   All those negatives for being picked up by the Big 12 are there for us (UNT) also.  And if we bring up the PAC 12 I think we would fit better than SMU.  Mainly because we are a large State public university. 

• Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

Wait, we're burying the lead here. $mut has season ticket holders?!

Yes.  Muffy, Bunny and Daddy Moneybags are beside themselves.  Daddy had to have three martinis last night. 

But seriously - few if anybody care.  It's SMU: money talks and the rest walks.  Just keep the TV money coming in and we'll all hold our noses up in the air when you show up at Ford.  

Outside of that, congrats if it turns out to be true. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SMUleopold said:

Yes.  Muffy, Bunny and Daddy Moneybags are beside themselves.  Daddy had to have three martinis last night. 

But seriously - few if anybody care.  It's SMU: money talks and the rest walks.  Just keep the TV money coming in and we'll all hold our noses up in the air when you show up at Ford.  

But none of us would see you out there on the Boulevard.  We'd be inside watching the game.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SMUleopold said:

👍👍

Actually, y’all did have a good crowd vs UNT last month during a heat spell & w/o the 450 piece Green (covid) Brigade (along with their parents, uncles, aunts & 4’th cousins). 🙄  I suffered in the heat the week before in our own season opener & had plans to be at Ford, but— I   
🐓 chickened out.  (Now I need to think up something mean to say so I don’t get excommunicated from Harry’s board).🙃

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People need to stop with the SMU boogeyman stories.

There is no "sources", OP pulled this out if his ass. 

UNT cannot blame SMU for their own failures, especially now that they're about to finally share a conference with them. If UNT doesnt succeed in the AAC, will SMU be blamed for that too??

It's just like when many people on Coogfans especiay would whine and cry about the Texas Big 12 schools being boogeymen, UT in particular and now that we're finally P5, UT can't be blamed for any UH shortcoming anymore.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3