The New American

Side.Show.Joe

Howdy y'all!  It's been forever since I've been on here.  So much good news happening for my Runners and Mean Green.  I'm pumped for this move.   I know someone already shared a map of the new conference alignment, but here a logo only image.  I dig this.  However, I'd much prefer to see Memphis in the West with us and Navy stay East geographically.  If Memphis were West, just about every Div. game is driveable.

39307346_NewAAC.jpg.7282f39c41374fa1a2093975cd90d5ac.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, keith said:

This is difficult to say, but entrance into the AAC would be the perfect time to rebrand ourselves (sports programs) as UNT leaving behind the stigma (real or perceived) of North Texas.  While we know, love and revere our North Texas moniker and history, outside of our bubble it carries a negative connotation.  It's painful to admit, but doing so is part of the healing process.  It's re-birth time and we need to leave the past behind as we forge ahead into a hopeful future.  

Here is a clip from the NTSU newspaper, Campus Chat, that I wrote in 1965. Change is hard and sometimes not  changing is harder. Anyway, we all know what happened...and, that's okay too.

Rex letter to NT paper name change.png

• Upvote 4

Good.  Because I wasn't going to change it.  Hahaha.  Glad you all can take a sly joke.  Now, let's talk about the future and the AAC.

Solid moves picking up Texas teams.  A lot of people are overlooking what Rice brings to the table.  Yes, they are in the Houston market but man they do a lot for the conference just on academics alone.  We often forget we're universities first.  With them and Tulane possibly in the same division - solid.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Good.  Because I wasn't going to change it.  Hahaha.  Glad you all can take a sly joke.  Now, let's talk about the future and the AAC.

Solid moves picking up Texas teams.  A lot of people are overlooking what Rice brings to the table.  Yes, they are in the Houston market but man they do a lot for the conference just on academics alone.  We often forget we're universities first.  With them and Tulane possibly in the same division - solid.

I like like the set up far more than MWC. A lot more. I just hope our basketball team can compete in this conference. Football is gonna be tough on us. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

claire danes homeland GIF by Showtime

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Greenrex said:

Here is a clip from the NTSU newspaper, Campus Chat, that I wrote in 1965. Change is hard and sometimes not  changing is harder. Anyway, we all know what happened...and, that's okay too.

Rex letter to NT paper name change.png

Well, as you may or may not know from North Texas history "North" was just a clerical error made on the paperwork down in Austin when the bill to change the school's name (and make us a state school) was presented to the legislature. It was approved and the administration never sought to have it changed. 

I think "Texas State" was discussed during the Hayden Fry era, and it was said at the time that the unofficial understanding was that "Texas State" was the name that was reserved for A$M should they ever want to move on from the A$M name. It's not that we couldn't have tried, but probably, (especially back in the 60's-70's) we would have met with resistance from the Aggie politicians in the legislature if we had filed a bill.  

Much like the butt whipping we received on the floor of the State Senate back in 1961 from UT graduates that took offense to our bill that was filed to change our name from NTSC to the University of North Texas. We ended up having to compromise with NTSU. It's all there, in all it's ugliness, in the book "The Story of North Texas". 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, as you may or may not know from North Texas history "North" was just a clerical error made on the paperwork down in Austin when the bill to change the school's name (and make us a state school) was presented to the legislature. It was approved and the administration never sought to have it changed. 

I think "Texas State" was discussed during the Hayden Fry era, and it was said at the time that the unofficial understanding was that "Texas State" was the name that was reserved for A$M should they ever want to move on from the A$M name. It's not that we couldn't have tried, but probably, (especially back in the 60's-70's) we would have met with resistance from the Aggie politicians in the legislature if we had filed a bill.  

Much like the butt whipping we received on the floor of the State Senate back in 1961 from UT graduates that took offense to our bill that was filed to change our name from NTSC to the University of North Texas. We ended up having to compromise with NTSU. It's all there, in all it's ugliness, in the book "The Story of North Texas". 

Actually, I didn't know those things. Thanks for sharing !

23 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Didn’t know the book existed. Need to check it out 

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Didn’t know the book existed. Need to check it out 

The first one was published on the occasion of North Texas' 75th anniversary in 1965. It was updated at our 100th birthday.

The author is James L. Rogers.

https://warotaa.com/download/the-story-of-north-texas/

Edited by SilverEagle