Sun Belch schools look to maim CUSA leftovers

Jonnyeagle

For financial reasons, NT should evidently hope the belt kills CUSA.

However I don't think it is a given: I wonder: Is this the moment C-USA finally caves and admits Liberty (and maybe JMU). If yes, if they can also keep ODU,WKU, MTSU, Marshall,USM ,Tech as a building block together, all of a sudden they may have some sort of a regional identity they can build upon and are very competitive with the belt. Not sure what they'd do with UTEP and FIU (but Tx State is also an outlier in belt), but you could build on that block of 8.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

I doubt this will happen. Again, this is fans overrating recent football success. Sun Belt and CUSA make about the same on TV deal, and CUSA members would have to pay $3 mil to leave. Why not just go the Sun Belt route and add an independent like NMSU and a FCS to get to 10? Much easier solution for everyone. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I doubt this will happen. Again, this is fans overrating recent football success. Sun Belt and CUSA make about the same on TV deal, and CUSA members would have to pay $3 mil to leave. Why not just go the Sun Belt route and add and independent like NMSU and a FCS to get to 10? Much easier solution for everyone. 

Not only that: You are also giving up on a share of all the exit fees of those leaving. 6x3/8 is 2.25 million per school that stays. So the difference is 5 million right there

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Maybe this is just the NT fan in me, but I’m still worried the Sun Belt somehow ends up better than the AAC. They’re likely to take USM and Marshall, so CUSA is effectively finished. If the Big 12 is done expanding (or ultimately only takes Memphis) I think the AAC is better off, but I think the MWC is going to be a runaway for the best G5 league.  Still hoping something happens last minute and we end up there with UTSA. 

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Maybe this is just the NT fan in me, but I’m still worried the Sun Belt somehow ends up better than the AAC. They’re likely to take USM and Marshall, so CUSA is effectively finished. If the Big 12 is done expanding (or ultimately only takes Memphis) I think the AAC is better off, but I think the MWC is going to be a runaway for the best G5 league.  Still hoping something happens last minute and we end up there with UTSA. 

Funny. I am much more afraid C-USA will revive itself, taking JMU and Liberty. Its an unreasonable fear (its much more likely the belt finishes takes pieces out of C-USA) but I got it anyway. Talk about learning the wrong things.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Funny. I am much more afraid C-USA will revive itself, taking JMU and Liberty. Its an unreasonable fear (its much more likely the belt finishes takes pieces out of C-USA) but I got it anyway. Talk about learning the wrong things.

I’m always worried that even almost 20 years later Karl Benson is going to exact his revenge. The Sun Belt is actually a pretty good league. They added the right teams from FCS. If the AAC loses more teams they’ll be right there with us. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Unless they get rid of Judy McClown and have the new President get better TV deals, I don't think there is much to worry about 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

New AAC has two teams in the top 25. Sun Belt and MWC have one each. The MWC being the best G5 league is not really set in stone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Aren't the exit fees paid to the conference office? You're implying the money is distributed among the schools.

And how do you think the remaining CUSA members are going to vote to use the exit money.  They are going to  Pay themselves.

The remaining CUSA will most likely wait until they get their exit cash, then look to merge with the SBC after 2023.

1 minute ago, shaft said:

And how do you think the remaining CUSA members are going to vote to use the exit money.  They are going to  Pay themselves.

The remaining CUSA will most likely wait until they get their exit cash, then look to merge with the SBC after 2023.

This makes a lot more sense.   
And yeah, I don't think the exit fees are just going to sit in stacks in Judy's office.  The conference will likely spread them out to member schools.   If Judy has a lick of sense, she'd keep from providing a lump sum to the leftover schools and spread those payments out over time. Otherwise, the SBC will come calling very soon.