If CUSA dissolves?

Jonnyeagle

C-USA got Judied.

I also wonder how it feels for the other schools left behind, having signed that letter about regionalization with Smatresk being at the forefront (signing it with Judy), with likely about half the voting members knowing it was all smoke and mirrors.

Not quite Texas to the SEC, as everyone knew people were looking to move and suspicions were probably around, but still awkward.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 6

8 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Belt pick up Marshall, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and ODU. Either that or it goes the other direction and CUSA picks up four to six.

It’s looking more and more likely that CUSA is going to have to scramble to stay alive. 

If the CUSA is depending on Judy to survive they might as well close the office.

NS did what he needed to do it seems. Being part of the CUSA leadership but also keeping the best interests of North Texas at the forefront. Looking at the schools leaving, the only thing that would make sense to me is if the CUSA and Sun Belt schools merge into some west/east organization. Rename the conference start anew. I’m still holding my breath on our potential move. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

If CUSU loses additional teams they could be in trouble, but right now I think they could survive and still be viable.   It is still too spread out, but so is the AAC.

Reorganization along regional lines is still a possibility, but again makes to much sense to happen.  

If CUSA stays together, they would be better off remaining at 8 teams.  I don't know of a single team that would help the cause that would actually join.  

The teams I fear that lose out are UTEP, the location is just so problematic.  La Tech and USM, both with good overall programs that are just in small markets.  The remaining Eastern schools could stay together, but would have to pick up at least 2 clubs to get to a 7 member league. 

Edited by GrandGreen

19 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

If CUSU losing additional teams they could be in trouble, but right now I think they could survive and still be viable.   It is still too spread out, but so is the AAC.

Reorganization along regional lines is still a possibility, but again makes to much sense to happen.  

If CUSA stays together, they would be better off remaining at 8 teams.  I don't know of a single team that would help the cause that would actually join.  

The teams I fear that lose out are UTEP, the location is just so problematic.  La Tech and USM, both with good overall programs that are just in small markets.  The remaining Eastern schools could stay together, but would have to pick up at least 2 clubs to get to a 7 member league. 

The Sun Belt is almost certainly going to cherry pick who they want from CUSA. 

9 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Do we still have to

pay exit fees?

Sounds like Belch will offer a couple like

Southern Miss and WKu so it’s a possibility right?

I don't think C-USA has any real exit fees. I believe it is a deal where you just forfeit about 2 years of your conference distribution. So UNT will be out about a buck fifty.

I believe the entrance fee for the AAC is much more money.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe

9 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I don't think C-USA has any real exit fees. I believe it is a deal where you just forfeit about 2 years of your conference distribution. So UNT will be out about a buck fifty.

Showing $3m. Not sure how it is structured or if there is any flexibility.

37 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I don't think C-USA has any real exit fees. I believe it is a deal where you just forfeit about 2 years of your conference distribution. 

Conference distribution is tv money, ncaa tourney share money, and CFP shares. 

That’s about 1.5 to 2 million a year recently. So paying back the last two years will cost CUSA teams 3 to 4 million, which just so happens to be the supposed AAC tv payout.  So that makes some sense.

What doesn’t make a lot is sense is why CUSA teams would want to pay 3-4 million to go make the SBC’s 500k a year tv payout. 

CUSA will continue to exist as a conference. It has an NCAA tourney autobid, which is GOLD, because it’s widely believed no NEW conference would ever get an autobid again. 

So it doesn’t matter who leaves CUSA.  The conference will be able to attract new teams due to its FBS status and it’s autobid.  My guess is Liberty, JMU, and NMSU are already burning up the lines. 

it doesn’t even matter if every fbs team leaves CUSA.  The conference will exist and collect those exit fees and distribute them to whoever the new members are. That’s what happened to the Big West and the WAC.  

The only possible out is that some conferences have a provision in their membership agreement that states that if X number of teams leave then the conference dissolves. I have never heard of CUSA having that provision.

46 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aac-close-to-massive-6-school-expansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html

The exit fee for the six schools expected to depart is roughly $3 million per school, which will give Conference USA a nice nest egg to build on when the schools leave.

Paying this exit fee is not Wren Baker's job (his job is finding Littrell's buyout).   

This is Neal Smatresk's job.    I think he'll be able to cover this.

• Upvote 2