The AAC is close to massive 6-school expansion to reshape conference

Jonnyeagle

The American Athletic Conference is on the cusp of expanding.

The league will be examining expansion and is expecting applications from six schools this week: Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Riceand UAB, sources told Yahoo Sports.

The schools applying to the conference is a critical step in the formal process for new members, and the acceptance of the six schools is typically considered a formality in these situations. The process is expected to play out through the course of this week with applications sent as soon as Tuesday, sources told Yahoo Sports.

read more:  https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aac-close-to-massive-6-school-expansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html#click=https://t.co/4UqMlOvCSR

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Wow I didn’t expect that.   Let’s see if it really happens.  If it does the MWC made a massive miscalculation not going into the Texas market after the AAC tried to raid them IMO.  Maybe they had talks with their media partners and didn’t like revenue bump offered for going into Texas.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

ehh would replace FAU with WKU or Marshall.

FAU brings nothing to the table other than being north of Miami

If you look at the AAC foot print it involves large markets with potential for growth with mostly direct flights and hot recruiting potential. The belt foot print are mostly in out of the way markets in small towns. This is where these 2 schools belong. C-USA and Belt should merge and close down Judy's office.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

Their stadium hosts an ESPN Bowl Game.  That had to have been a consideration.

Yes without that they offer little in comparison to FIU in the same market.  FIU has a larger student body, actually the largest university in the Miami region.  So if getting into the Miami market was a driving factor it’s a coin flip IMO and the Bowl game likely was a very important determining factor since they didn’t get both schools.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't get the adds of Charlotte and FAU other than market.  I would exchange them for La Tech and Marshall.

USF probably had a say in adding FAU.   Now that UCF is gone, they need a travel partner.   Not to mention, they are able to attract a lot of talent, and have recently won a C-USA title.    I get it.

Charlotte, like UTSA, is purely potential/market.
I know, I know, UTSA is ranked & is the best fb program in CUSA!!!!   But unless they're able to find some kind of big-$ boosters (and they're certainly having trouble in that department), Traylor won't be there long.

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't get the adds of Charlotte and FAU other than market.  I would exchange them for La Tech and Marshall.

Yep they are just bigger population centers.  UNCC for maybe hopes of basketball potential from grabbing leftover recruits from the Tarheels, NC State and Duke?  🙄🤷🏽‍♂️  Hell I am not sure I would be excited to see Duke and the Tarheels in our east division for football only. 😂.  Now Miami is Miami and a the bowl game is a major consideration.  Big school and committed to bringing best coaching talent available to them.  You can’t argue that because they got Lane Kiffin.  If they don’t hire a head coach with that kind of resume they might not be here today.  🤷🏽‍♂️For La Tech I think it might be just a money issue.  They probably could afford the buyout but it might leave them cash strapped to compete to hire and keep good staff to run their athletic programs. While La Tech would have happily took that risk, I think the AAC took that into consideration.  I don’t have a clue as to what factors kept Marshall out except not in a high population area or state.  

Edited by Mike Jackson