UNT TO AAC

denton_days

10 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

Tap the brakes there.

3 of the American's 8 current programs are leaving. 

Now, having said that, we're the only program joining that doesn't have baseball. So that is promising that we might have it sooner than later. But it's still probably not on the forefront of immediate UNT to-do's.

I hope I'm wrong! I want baseball very badly

I feel like baseball has been 'on the horizon' since i arrived at UNT in 2004

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, shaft said:

I'm shocked we made the cut.   I thought AAC would only go to 12 and fully expected a block from SMU.  I figured the whole reason for the regionalization proposal was because the powers that be, knew we weren't getting an AAC or MWC invite.

Me, too. Man, I can’t believe it. I still feel like SMU will head west now. Just doesn’t make sense to me to have two DFW teams, but I’m obviously wrong in that thinking.

Never, ever saw this one coming

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

McMurphy's article. C-USA to stay at 8. The Sun Belt doesn't expand. UNT moves to the AAC in 2023.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/aac-to-add-six-schools-conference-usa-college-football-realignment-charlotte-fau-north-texas-rice-uab-utsa

It doesn’t say CUSA will stay at 8. It does say the SBC is thinking of staying at 10, which is a bit shocking if there’s no change either way there. 

• Upvote 3

With eight remaining members, Conference USA had to add at least two schools. One source suggested that the Sun Belt now could try to poach schools from Conference USA, such as Marshall or Southern Miss. Despite the losses, the conference remains optimistic.

“We will be much better without those six schools,” a C-USA source said. “The AAC will see their College Football Playoff rankings drop in the Group of Five. We have a chance to leapfrog them. This is a good day for C-USA.”

Wow, wonder who said this?  I not sure what leftovers they will find to help them do that, NMSU, Liberty, Idaho?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

With eight remaining members, Conference USA had to add at least two schools. One source suggested that the Sun Belt now could try to poach schools from Conference USA, such as Marshall or Southern Miss. Despite the losses, the conference remains optimistic.

“We will be much better without those six schools,” a C-USA source said. “The AAC will see their College Football Playoff rankings drop in the Group of Five. We have a chance to leapfrog them. This is a good day for C-USA.”

Wow, wonder who said this?  I not sure what leftovers they will find to help them do that, NMSU, Liberty, Idaho?

Old La Tech AD possibly screwed over La Tech for a long time. He and the administration there are weird about ULM and ULL. That’s their own fault 

EDIT: Just realized that wasn’t the same quote about La Tech. Whoops but my point stands on the fact they screwed themselves and other cusa schools for the SBC CUSA merger that could’ve happened a few years ago

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Let's be honest, no one expected this. Thinking SMU would be enough of a presence in DFW for the conference was the logical train of thought. No one thought the AAC would take 6. 

SMU fans are disowning Rick Hart, their AD, for not “blackballing NTSU”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

drake-drake-laughing-now-cry-later.gif

Oh, I think I have a great idea of who said this.   Not very many people dumb enough to actually believe that...
maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

There's no reason to add UNT unless SMU already has a foot out the door.  Seems there is more movement in process.

Why?  We have a much better chance of delivering the DFW market with our alumni base.  SMU can barely deliver University Park

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, Rowdy said:

We have yet to win in Ruston so who knows.  Maybe this year we can make it happen.  I hope a move up in conference helps us keep him a little longer, but we all know if the right school comes calling, he will be gone. 

Purely hypothetical,
But say Thompson & the MWC were blowing smoke saying they're strong enough as-is, and decide to about-face & not allow the AAC to cut off all Texas schools... and extend offers to NT & UTSA.

What would be your thoughts there?  Would you rather go with Rice to AAC?

How do most UTSA fans feel about going West if it were a possibility?   Just curious.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Same, I can't keep feeling that if we do get into the AAC it will be a replay of CUSA, where we get to the league and all of the teams we wanted to play are gone. MWC is more stable and has a chance of being the best G5 league. 

Of course that's what's going to happen. I can't believe we all have such short memories. 

Sorry....this AAC doesn't excite me. I know it's currently better than CUSA but as soon as SMU and Memphis leave, they'll back fill with La Tech and maybe Marshall or USM. Take the current CUSA....change the letters to AAC and that's what we'll be in.

If the MWC was an actual option, I hope we jump on it.

We've seen this movie before. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Of course that's what's going to happen. I can't believe we all have such short memories. 

Sorry....this AAC doesn't excite me. I know it's currently better than CUSA but as soon as SMU and Memphis leave, they'll back fill with La Tech and maybe Marshall or USM. Take the current CUSA....change the letters to AAC and that's what we'll be in.

Well... I wouldn't go that far..., but at least Judy MacLeod is not the Commissioner of the AAC, so we're gonna be just fine if that's were we go.

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

There's no reason to add UNT unless SMU already has a foot out the door.  Seems there is more movement in process.

Hi rivals! Looking forward to our annual conference rivalry game in all sports

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Even if it does happen, we are better off.    Better commissioner for one thing.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

At any rate, I'll take the hope that AAC ends up not crumbling that way. I mean, the alternative is staying in CUSA, which is a no-brainer on jumping that shipwreck of a conference. ANYTHING is better, even if it's just hope.

• Upvote 1

I mean....it's certainly better than being in Judy's conference but Aresco isn't gonna look so great when it comes time to get that TV money and they ask: "hey what happened to Cincy and UCF and Houston? The giant killers that made you a "P6" Conference?

Easy to look like a good commissioner when you have schools with national level attention. What's he going to say? "We don't have those top 5 teams, and SMU and Memphis left but we do have Charlotte and Rice and UTSA!"

That's all I'm saying. Yes I'm glad to be out of CUSA but this isn't a move that's going to seriously move our program forward. It's more of a "table stakes" move. Doing it to survive vs improve. From a national attention standpoint, the AAC will be on CUSA's level...it can't help but be there. There aren't any big name brands left in the AAC.

The MWC is the new "P6"

AAC will be CUSA 2.0 (or 3.0?) on the field.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

***Edit*** this article already posted:    

Before the AAC news broke, sources told the Action Network that officials at North Texas, Rice, UTSA and UTEP had contacted the Mountain West about joining the conference. North Texas and Rice had the most serious discussions, but ultimately, the Mountain West decided to remain at 12 schools, sources said.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/aac-to-add-six-schools-conference-usa-college-football-realignment-charlotte-fau-north-texas-rice-uab-utsa?utm_source=article&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy

Edited by TheColonyEagle