UNT TO AAC

denton_days

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I mean....it's certainly better than being in Judy's conference but Aresco isn't gonna look so great when it comes time to get that TV money and they ask: "hey what happened to Cincy and UCF and Houston? The giant killers that made you a "P6" Conference?

Easy to look like a good commissioner when you have schools with national level attention. What's he going to say? "We don't have those top 5 teams, and SMU and Memphis left but we do have Charlotte and Rice and UTSA!"

That's all I'm saying. Yes I'm glad to be out of CUSA but this isn't a move that's going to seriously move our program forward. It's more of a "table stakes" move. Doing it to survive vs improve. From a national attention standpoint, the AAC will be on CUSA's level...it can't help but be there. There aren't any big name brands left in the AAC.

The MWC is the new "P6"

AAC will be CUSA 2.0 (or 3.0?) on the field.

And don't get me wrong....I would rather be in our position than USM or La Tech. They're stuck and may be headed to the Sun Belt...who knows.

And I'll add. If this conference stays at the 14 teams they have now....I'm in. I just don't think they will and I don't think it will look like this in a few years. I still say we don't play SMU in a conference game in 2023. Hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why is that?  Wyoming?  New Mexico?  San Jose State.  Come on man you don't really believe that crapola do you?  Hey maybe after they add UTEP they will be better. 

I Win Take That GIF by Film Riot

They have Boise St. That alone puts them above this new AAC as far as branding.

The new AAC doesn't have a program any where near that level. They had 3 of them. They just left to go the big 12.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

More details from Thamel....

"Conference USA schools currently receive less than a million dollars annually in television revenue. The amount they will receive is still being finalized, but the television revenue will be more than $2 million at the start of the deal and rise significantly from there. Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32."

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aac-close-to-massive-6-school-expansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html

The losses that ESPN is going to have to write off from 2023 to 2032. Yikes. Surely there are clauses in that deal. How does ESPN just write checks to a bunch of schools no one is watching. 

I'm asking because I sincerely don't know. Maybe someone with knowledge of these deals can chime in. 

How does ESPN pay Tulsa $7 million per year while not having the eyes that Cincy and UCF have brought to them. What is the ROI for ESPN moving forward without Cincy, UCF and Houston?

• Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The losses that ESPN is going to have to write off from 2023 to 2032. Yikes. Surely there are clauses in that deal. How does ESPN just write checks to a bunch of schools no one is watching. 

I'm asking because I sincerely don't know. Maybe someone with knowledge of these deals can chime in. 

How does ESPN pay Tulsa $7 million per year while not having the eyes that Cincy and UCF have brought to them. What is the ROI for ESPN moving forward without Cincy, UCF and Houston?

Part of it is the exit fees from the 3 departing schools, and the reduced payouts to the new schools. I think it was reported as 2 million per new school, and I wonder how long that deal continues for. The details of the new contract will be really interesting. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Have you checked the cost of your cable bill lately (and yes, there are still a LOT of people with cable).

You also have to look at it from the total, not JUST what's going on in the AAC. What happens in the P5* conferences make a much bigger difference than a few extra million to the AAC schools.

Then there's what's happening with the ESPN+ subscriptions, which went up 75% in the last year (8.5-14.9m subscribers from Aug 2020-Aug 2021).

Disney ain't sweating a few extra mil to Tulsa. They (ESPN) did the math before they initiated all this movement.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Purely hypothetical,
But say Thompson & the MWC were blowing smoke saying they're strong enough as-is, and decide to about-face & not allow the AAC to cut off all Texas schools... and extend offers to NT & UTSA.

What would be your thoughts there?  Would you rather go with Rice to AAC?

How do most UTSA fans feel about going West if it were a possibility?   Just curious.

All are happy to take either conference to get away form Judy, but feels like most prefer ACC over MW mostly for travel.  Now if we can to chose MW with UNT or AAC with Rice, would assume MW.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

All are happy to take either conference to get away form Judy, but feels like most prefer ACC over MW mostly for travel.  Now if we can to chose MW with UNT or AAC with Rice, would assume MW.  

I love the MWC.  UTSA is at the doorstep of the Southwest and it feels right culturally.  Buuuut, the smart move is to move East.  There's more wiggle room to add teams come the next realignment.  And also, I like the idea of possibly being in a division with both Rice and Tulane - will do wonders for UTSA to keep upping their academic game.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I love the confidence in this post, while at the same time admitting (and demonstrating) that this poster doesn't know anything about media rights.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

SMU is leaving. 

I initially thought this.  But, I am reconsidering.    The current remaining 8 AAC teams are going to get big payouts from both the ESPN TV contact and the exit fees from the 3 that are leaving.      How much money is SMU willing to leave on the table ?    Moving to the MWC makes no fiscal sense for them.

If the Big 12 comes calling, SMU will jump.   Other than that, I just don't see it.

The 6 being added to the AAC will initially be getting about 1/3 (per rumors) of the payout of the existing 8 annually.   SMU will still be raking in way more money than UNT, at least for the first few years in the AAC.

I am not complaining about the reduced payout at all.    We will still be getting a significant raise from the move and far more national exposure.    It's a win-win for everyone if the new AAC is finalized.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why is that?  Wyoming?  New Mexico?  San Jose State.  Come on man you don't really believe that crapola do you?  Hey maybe after they add UTEP they will be better. 

I Win Take That GIF by Film Riot

Boise, Fresno, San Diego, Nevada, Utah st have all been ranked multiple times and beat P5 in football and basketball so frequently it’s rarely a headline as an upset.

As someone who has been to multiple MWC stadiums and multiple New AAC stadiums there’s a fairly large gap in attendance and talent in the top programs.

Edited by MDH

I would have preferred the MWC, however I think their partial interest in UNT and other schools was contingent on additional schools leaving the MWC. 

The AAC didnt get who they originally wanted, though I think their plan B was to go with schools in cities and larger markets that would improve their media footprint, and thats what they did. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrAlien said:

I would have preferred the MWC, however I think their partial interest in UNT and other schools was contingent on additional schools leaving the MWC. 

The AAC didnt get who they originally wanted, though I think their plan B was to go with schools in cities and larger markets that would improve their media footprint, and thats what they did. 

Why did you prefer it?  Seems like people ar trying to act like the MWC is the SEC. it’s a bunch of shitty teams in cold climates that play their games in the wee hours of the morning.  Quit putting lipstick on a pig.  Most of those teams can’t carry our jock if we have a head coach with a pulse.  Wyoming?  New Mexico?  San Jose State?  Fresno?  Who cares

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

Indy. They’re basically Notre Dame in their own minds. 

Looking on their 247 board, it seems they are dead set for the Big 12 and "make the most sense" 

Now the reasonable ones are saying they killed their opportunity to move up because of hiring Chad Morris, which is correct, but I just can't see them leaving any time soon.

• Upvote 1