UNT TO AAC

denton_days

More details from Thamel....

"Conference USA schools currently receive less than a million dollars annually in television revenue. The amount they will receive is still being finalized, but the television revenue will be more than $2 million at the start of the deal and rise significantly from there. Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32."

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aac-close-to-massive-6-school-expansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We’re just waiting for that hammer to drop. Gotta believe any kind of move up will only help in the search.

How are y’all feeling about Traylor?   Think Tech will come kick the tires?

We have yet to win in Ruston so who knows.  Maybe this year we can make it happen.  I hope a move up in conference helps us keep him a little longer, but we all know if the right school comes calling, he will be gone. 

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Wonder what this does for UTEP? This would leave them way out of the footprint. Would CUSA add NMSU? If this does happen for us I hope they end up in the MWC

CUSA still has the same problem, schools strung from Virginia to El Paso. I think the SBC could pluck the CUSA programs in the east , go south down the coast,and turn west. . ODU,Marshall,WK, MTSU,FIU, So. Miss. and La. Tech fit their existing footprint nicely, with the Miners being SOL.

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

CUSA still has the same problem, schools strung from Virginia to El Paso. I think the SBC could pluck the CUSA programs in the east , go south down the coast,and turn west. . ODU,Marshall,WK, MTSU,FIU, So. Miss. and La. Tech fit their existing footprint nicely, with the Miners being SOL.

For "normal" UTEP fans I wish them well. For the idiots on the Minerdigs board I hope they are left out in the cold.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Seems most on the MWC boards think this makes them a much better conference than the AAC. A few on the MWC boards seem to still think UNT would be a good add to the MWC.

I just want a different conference that doesn't use a curtain at the basketball tournament and has a real leader

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, laxtonto said:

Dare I say it... Dare I dream....

Baseball..... coming to UNT?

Tap the brakes there.

3 of the American's 8 current programs are leaving. 

Now, having said that, we're the only program joining that doesn't have baseball. So that is promising that we might have it sooner than later. But it's still probably not on the forefront of immediate UNT to-do's.

I hope I'm wrong! I want baseball very badly

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I preferred the MWC as to give us more exclusivity, but this is probably better in the long run even if this group of 14 loses 2 members who will probably spend a long time chasing rainbows. 

🦅

4E789E90-AC37-4C3C-9E2D-8C3676346670.jpeg.3c9aa1901c329bde327d5ce24464e618.jpeg

I’m not good enough with technology but hope someone does a new look AAC map. I’ve been looking at the new teams and it makes sense given what they lost. They have always been composed of schools in the top 20 markets in the south (or nearby in the case of Philly and Cinci) and this actually raises their profile in that regard. Despite the rhetoric, CUSA wasn’t totally market based. Was a mix of small and large, and all the largest ones just bolted. Solidifies AAC’s identity and makes me think a remaining CUSA and Sun Belt merger or similar arrangement would make sense. 

1 hour ago, Rowdy said:

So does the AAC announcement come at just the right time to help bring in a new coach for UNT? 

I honestly think this is why Seth wasn't shown walking papers this week... wouldn't look good to fire a coach two days before you are invited into a new conference. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I honestly think this is why Seth wasn't shown walking papers this week... wouldn't look good to fire a coach two days before you are invited into a new conference. 

What about two days after?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, techdawg88 said:

except they didn't destroy CUSA, outside of UAB & UNT, the AAC took a lot of our dead weight

If I'm Judy, I'm going after Texas State, Lala, App State, and Arkansas State. Splitting into two 6-team divisions based on east/west geography. Then the presidents need to vote her off the island and get someone in there that will provide marketability. If done well, that'll be a solid 12 team conference in its own right to the point we might be wishing we stayed put.